Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Why the divisiveness?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the divisiveness?

As a Mustang owner (a proud one still), we have always been used to one model of performance from the Ford brand. On the other hand, GM has a stable of performance models, and on that note the Mustang community has always been very tight knit. I am not saying GM folks aren't, just trying to make a point. I guess what surprises me is the division of GM customers on the different brands of the GM name. I have read posts from Trans Am owners that are not necessarily fond of the G8 or GTO, while Camaro owners are not fond of Trans Am or a possible new version because of the threat of stealing sales, etc, etc. Then I have noticed that some Chevy owners (some of them Camaro owners) that like to bash on Corvettes. I guess it just comes down to loyalty, IDK. Since this is the G8 forum, I will focus on that. I read some posts saying that the G8 is not really a performance car, and that it is just a 4 door sedan on weight watchers. Even with the idea of a G8 coupe, there are still some doubters within the GM community. Is it just brand loyalty and am I just misinterpreting some of what I read?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i guess u gots to be a true gm guy to know.
ive owned 3 of the above posted models.
dont even start with the lt1 vs. ls1
that topic right there causes conflict itself, then the sbc guys jump in and the bbc too. its free for all royal rumble, pretty much
Old 11-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

I like them all. The bashing comes from the price ranges and the type of buyers, which brings in wealth, people with Vettes are comfortable, people with F-bodys are working class men, G8 owners are in between. But G8 owners wanted the versatility, making them not TOTALLY geared towards performance. I personally own 2 fbdys, I want a G8, and a Z06 but I cant afford either.

Oh just to start a fight...BBC are anchors, Lt1s are for women. SBC are cheap, so I cant hate on those because not everyone can afford the King LS motors!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Launching!

wait till someone throws the ls9 crate motor in a G8, tell that guy its not a performance car.

<----See me after my power-train warranty is up.

i wont start the "G8 is not a performance car" war but i would probably say something like G8's are making more rwhp and trapping better times than most of the other cars, including mustangs, on this site with just a tune where as others need full exhaust/cai/tune and sometimes more to post the same numbers. no it is a 4door sedan and not a 2 door coupe, but anyone remember where we all got our start? Cough 69 Judge COUGH. cars back in the days weighed more than the ****** G8 and everyone loved them. so why hate, just cause of 4 doors? i'll take 4 over 2 any day on my DAILY DRIVER so idiots don't scuff my **** crawling in the non-existent back seat in most 2 door cars.

As far as your post goes, i get high beamed/waved at by chargers and T/A's around my area almost regularly. The camaro not so much but there's alot of v6's camaros around here with girls driving them. and the mustang guys keep their distance.

i love all cars for their specific purposes but it really depends on who's driving the car. its like this, say you need a ride home and you put the biggest ******** behind the wheel of a TT Lambo and the nicest guy in a 1981 piece of **** anything and most guys on here take the ride home in the piece ****.

or punch the ******** in the face and steal the Lambo.

Last edited by TheTugBoat; 11-25-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Then you have guys like me that currently has a GTO, a G8, and an old C10 with an LT1...I grew up on SBC. I have driven trucks...2wd and 4wd, lowered and lifted. So long as the General has had a hand in it, I want a part of it! I am loyal to GM. The fact I own two Holden platform Pontiacs is a pure coincidence...seriously.

But I do find it very funny watching camaro guys bash vette guys, etc. Confuses me. Oh well...McCain wanted Palin as his VP, too. So help explain that to me.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

GM guys tend to be more model-loyal, not brand loyal. Most of us are engine-loyal it seems. I pretty much dig anything LS powered.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats easy. Ford only has 1 sports car (mustang) GM has or had, camaro, vette, gto, TA, G8, and cadillac's supercharged cts-v. So we have more to be divided about than Ford's one mustang.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Well I am about to jump on this ship as I am getting my G8 this Friday. So anyone can talk as much **** as they want. I think the G8 is a beautiful car with a lot of power for a 4000 pounder on "weight watchers".

Damn, Nine Ball. You have some wicked rides in your lineup.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have fun with your new g8gt. You really will like it. I'm a gm guy, loyal to all and not just the g8. I'd love to have a new Z06, probably not a camaro, but, just about any rear drive gm. I've also got an ls2 sitting on the engine stand for my 95 short bed. Ls power is by far the best small block gm has ever built.......period
Old 11-26-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by locrzn
Have fun with your new g8gt. You really will like it. I'm a gm guy, loyal to all and not just the g8. I'd love to have a new Z06, probably not a camaro, but, just about any rear drive gm. I've also got an ls2 sitting on the engine stand for my 95 short bed. Ls power is by far the best small block gm has ever built.......period
i agree 100%
Old 11-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by locrzn

I am about to find out I really love the fact that GM has made a RWD pushrod sedan. I can only imagine what numbers the G8 would put up if it were 3300-3500 lbs. I am very impressed, and one of the main reasons I am buying this car is that the L76 can push a 4000lb car to the numbers it puts up.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my G8 GT this past week and I do own a 700 RWHP Firehawk. All I have to say is I'm in love again. Nothing wrong with being loyal to GM. I like the fact that our choices are not limited to just one vehicle.

TopFig

Last edited by topfig1; 11-27-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Teching In

a g8 is a soccar moms car... to the point... my car looks way more cool than that.. and by the way ya paid too much for that piece of aluminum..kick my *** fine.. till i put a maggie in her!!! gm now ***** the dog and im guessin that all g8 owners also do to... cause look what ya drive..no respect...fix ya old 02 trans am and show gm where they left off!!!! they are a bunch of **** wrecks!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by burnerdown2
a g8 is a soccar moms car... to the point... my car looks way more cool than that.. and by the way ya paid too much for that piece of aluminum..kick my *** fine.. till i put a maggie in her!!! gm now ***** the dog and im guessin that all g8 owners also do to... cause look what ya drive..no respect...fix ya old 02 trans am and show gm where they left off!!!! they are a bunch of **** wrecks!!!

I see you found your parents mushroom stash. ***** no good for you so put it back nd get off your moms computer.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like all the different cars - I just don't like all the different owners.

I wouldn't skip buying a car because of the other owners, though. When I own a Corvette, I'll beat the crap out of it to **** off the old guys who've never owned a performance car before their Corvette.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Launching!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by topfig1
I see you found your parents mushroom stash. ***** no good for you so put it back nd get off your moms computer.
better off take that g8 firehawk and send it to top gear and see how jeremy likes it!!!lol
Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

better off take that g8 firehawk and send it to top gear and see how jeremy likes it!!!lol

O.K.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont get it either. I dont consider myself working class. Ive had firebirds and a camaro. I had two zo6's. I had a viper. I had an audi tt. I think every car has something to offer. If its from gm, i'll like it. I dont get it either....
Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Launching!

ok i wasn't really gonna get involved with this guy that has a whopping 2 posts but...

you're a ****** idiot...watch this then get back to me...all Jeremy does is praise how awesome the car is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAPzkZ7QDcs

its the vauxhall version...same car, different front end, hood, quarter panels, and rear end.

and before you say anything else about the g8 firehawk, most g8 owners hate the idea of using an old *** name/decal but like what the package has to offer.