Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Add me to the "Not Liking The Name" list.

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
More power to you guys. To bad you couldn't have gotten the rights to SS, but then again GM has whored out that monicor.
yes they have, and the SS badge doesnt hold the same pride as it did before, but atleast "Super Sport" makes some sense on a vehicle that's been equipped with better handling and power. But like its already been said... how can one relate Fire? and Hawk? with a G8?...it just makes no sense. Bad name IMO.
Originally Posted by whitew01ws6
1 more thing... it says over 14,000 people have viewed, so we can say atleast 10,000 different people have looked at this.

how about we get all these people that have looked and havent posted to give us there opinion even if it just says HORRIBLE. POST it up then you can count how many people actually like it. then we can print this out and send thousands of copies to SLP in the mail protesting.

might be an idea, come on people
Agree...Admins, How about adding a poll to this thread (if possible) so those that dont feel like posting can atleast vote? This way, those for or against can be counted easier.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Honestly I don't think a poll is at all necessary....it is obvious what the MAJORITY of people think about it. But it would definitely make the point stronger.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe we could explain it this way.... even if you guys at SLP were working on an SLP version of the new ZR-1 Corvette and slapped the "Firehawk" name on it.... we would still be saying the same thing.

The G8 is a great car.... "Firehawk" is simply thw WRONG name!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Lets see what the SRT guys have to say about this. These guys are in the infamous demographic explained by Mr Hamburger....

http://www.srtconnection.com/forums/...492#post238492
Old 09-27-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

G8 is a great car.... "Firehawk" is simply the WRONG name!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly
Old 09-27-2008, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
Does it not matter that we've been doing this for 20+ Years? We've been in the Hi-Performance Industry since the sixties working with Chrysler, Hamburger's Oil Pans, etc.. We've built 77,000 OEM Vehicles for GM and Ford and we know where we are going with this. SLP is the largest volume niche vehicle, second stage manufacturer period - we still have some things up our sleeves.

Regards,

David
GM has been building cars for 100 years and they are missing the mark on a lot of fronts. Chrysler put Shelby's name on a few cars. BMW tried to bring back the 323 nameplate(the 323 was a very popular car in the late 70's). The Tucker was a great idea as was the Delorean. The point is that just because you have been doing something that worked for a long time doesn't mean it will continue. As I stated before I wish you luck but now it looks like you'll need it. I haven't heard a single positive comment from anyone I showed the car to.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:05 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

To SLP:

I'm going to make a very short, very accurate, very simple post.

Here is what a Firehawk is about:

Perhaps you've forgotten what they originally looked like. So this post is a reminder. Anything that wears the Firehawk name should be related, very closely, to the car you see in the pic above.

1992 was a great year for your 'hawk program. You built 25 excellent cars. Go back to your '92 Program, build something worth drooling over, and come up with a new name for a new car. Making a G8 Firehawk is as silly as what you see in my sig.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:06 AM
12 Second Club

Damn, I just spent the last two hours reading through this thread. It make's me sick really. I to like the idea of a modded G8, but Firehawk does not fit for a name. I feel bad for the REAL Firehawk owners who will have to explain to yuppies why they have the same Firehawk badging on their 10 year old cars. Don't worry to much, we all know what a REAL Firehawk is though. I'm also on the SLP boycott band wagon, was looking at that new kit with resonators for the LM1. Anyone want to buy a LM1 cheap?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add another forum where 95% of the people think SLP is making a mistake:
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1
Old 09-27-2008, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

I have always loved Firehawks. They are the best looking, 3rd Gen & 4th Gen F-bodies ever. The name in itself FIREHAWK implies the top of the line FIREBIRD. It makes absolutely no sense to put this name with a G8. It would be like Ford Slapping badges on a Ford 500 & calling it a Cobra.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Wow this is interesting discussion.... I was at the Indy bash and didn't go the the banquet so missed out on the Firehawk anouncement I guess. Anyway Everyone here can kick and scream all we want... But this is a marketing decision made by bean counters at SLP. There is absolutely nothing we or anyone can say or do to change their minds. SLP owns the name and can do whatever they want with it. My guess is it will become a huge success just like the Grand Prix GTX was ( sorry for the sarcasm... I owned one though so I can be) and the Firehawk name plate will become confusing to outsiders as to some as a performance firebird and others as a failed pontiac 4 door...

So let's look on the bright side...

1. The discussions at the fuel pump with other confused drivers will become more interesting since you'll now have more explaining to do about your 10 year old Firehawk and what it is.

2. There actually might be a chance that SLP will sell or at least allow soemone to make Firehawk clothing and accessories again.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
even if you guys at SLP were working on an SLP version of the new ZR-1 Corvette

i hope not. for 100k it better have some of the best parts out the door.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree... a $100K+ car shouldn't need modding... but I was trying to make a point.

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
Maybe we could explain it this way.... even if you guys at SLP were working on an SLP version of the new ZR-1 Corvette and slapped the "Firehawk" name on it.... we would still be saying the same thing.

The G8 is a great car.... "Firehawk" is simply the WRONG name!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
The only real negative attention is from the F-Body community. For every negative post I get here, I'm getting 3 positive emails from consumers ready for the new Firehawk. Here's an example I just got a few minutes ago:...

I hate to burst your bubble, but Robert would of been happy with any other name. I'm sure he would of been thrilled with SLP G8. His reaction, I would bet has little to do with your "Firehawk" name and everything to do with SLP creating a high performance Pontiac G8.

I don't know how much you spent to secure the Firehawk name, but was it that much to justify ignoring ALL of this bad press and not changing the name?

Keep the performance, change the name and everyone's happy. What's so confusing about that? unless you guys really sunk some serious cash into this whole Firehawk thing...

Last edited by Blackened2k; 09-27-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

well guys, in the end its just about makin a buck. hes just a bussiness man who is only still repling cause he knows he makes a **** load off of us. its just like the corps. at gm, they really dont care. like he said in the begginig, "I do care, but its a done deal" i bet money he is telling us this now because he knew if we were to find out in the begginig before it was a done deal, he would have had to justify it before it was set in stone. his reaction doesent surprise me at all, its a different world for car enthustiests now. I also like how he said we are all just ranting, so he not only deluted the firehawk name but then be-littled us and say we are basically just bitching. its too bad he is a sponsor cause i think he should be banned for this bone-headed idea!!!! rant over!
Old 09-27-2008, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

PS, im a camaro guy too the core. on number 3 and goin strong!
Old 09-27-2008, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boycott SLP! spread the word!

oh, and my little brother is looking at buying this sweet Schwinn Firehawk. It has to be amazing; its a Firehawk!
Old 09-27-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

What would happen if GM did bring back the Firebird/Trans Am, for arguement sake ?

What would SLP be calling it .. THE FIREHAWK 2, The real Origional FIREHAWK, or NOT THE G8 FIREHAWK ???
Old 09-27-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey guys, I JUST got the FIREHAWK (R) conversion on my '08 SportTrac ADRENALIN!!!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:54 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Alright the threats are rediculous, but I'm all for boycotting SLP over this. SLP doesn't care about f-body's because they aren't their 'bread and butter', and they already have their money from the sales of Firehawks and Camaro Super Sports.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss