Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO Steering Wheel Hub Fabrication, Who wants in?!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO Steering Wheel Hub Fabrication, Who wants in?!!

I have researched tons, and come to discover there are no steering wheel hubs made to put an aftermarket non-airbag steering wheel into a gto.

This would be for like a road race smaller momo/sparco/omp/nardi 6 bolt steering wheel.

Lots of hicks say its a ricer idea, and for autozone steering wheels... before it becomes an argument, however any BTCC cup car/lemans porsche/lambo/c5r has a steering wheel just like described in them.

I have located a fabricator that will machine an existing NRG-hk100 hub and broach it to .9" 45 spline for a cost of 150 if we have 5 people or 120 if we have 10 people.

So far i have

4 people interested...

This entire shindig was already covered in http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345860 this gto forum thread.

Basically, im trying to find more people interested in this venture to get you in on it to save you a ton of cash. If you just get one on your own its 300.00 or more to have the machine work done since the broach size and tooling is odd size.

So, if you are interested so you can run a wheel like any of these....

http://www.sparcousa.com/steering_street.asp

http://www.sparcousa.com/steering_comp.asp

http://www.momousa.com/products/prod...ng-wheels.html

http://passwordjdm.com/Nardi-Steering-Wheel-C369.aspx

http://www.ompracing.it/prodotti.htm...ngelanguage=en

You would need to purchase THIS 100 dollar hub..
http://www.customcarscentral.com/nrg...itsubishi.html

and send it out along with the other orders to get the special price of 150 each for 5 orders, or 120 each for 10 orders.

If you are interested post your name up, if you are not, please refrain from hillbilly arguments about ricers and why you think its a bad idea cause youd rather have the 18 inch steering wheel and be able to raise the volume on the wheel in your NASA/SCCA road race car.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Good luck...hope it works out.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn RX666/Blacklist, you beat me to it!

Buzz
Old 12-19-2009, 05:58 AM
TECH Resident

Dam thats hot. If i planned on keeping the GTO i would definitaly get in on this.

Solid idea OP, i cant believe i never thought of it myself. Our GTOs wheel is huge and cumbursome.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

comeon guys! we just need 1 more solid person interested and it will save everyone 50%
Old 12-19-2009, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

i failed to mention, unless you dremel out a small section in the rear of the hub yourself, the turn signals would not be self canceling. Therefore, you would have to click them off once you have turned. The fab work to make the signals turn off though will be fairly simple to do.

The main advantage here is for taller/shorter drivers. I, myself amd 6'4" and have to sit pretty far back for my knees to be comfortable. With this wheel, ill be able to move the wheel closer to my chest so my arms are free from being full extended. Im going with a perfectly round, round grip 3.5 inch offset wheel. This will make aggressive driving so much easier. If you are in a tight squeeze where you are countersteering a lot, you could now just break grip slightly and let the round wheel spin in your hands without blasting into radio buttons and getting caught up on that huge airbag and all that jazz. Some may not feel its that big of a deal, however i really think it would improve the seating position and feel of the car. You can also get like 380mm wheels that are not much smaller than the stock one. The Nardi deep corn and many other wheels already have red stitching as well, so it would go right in and match. When im cruising on the highway with the cruise control on, i could also pull my knees back from the pedals and my knees could sit directly behind the wheel freely without bashing into the back of the steering wheel.

After this, the next piece i plan to look into fabbing is a slightly taller adjustable race shifter handle that would sit slightly closer to the wheel comparable to the c5r race car.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:52 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by RX666
i failed to mention, unless you dremel out a small section in the rear of the hub yourself, the turn signals would not be self canceling. Therefore, you would have to click them off once you have turned. The fab work to make the signals turn off though will be fairly simple to do.

The main advantage here is for taller/shorter drivers. I, myself amd 6'4" and have to sit pretty far back for my knees to be comfortable. With this wheel, ill be able to move the wheel closer to my chest so my arms are free from being full extended. Im going with a perfectly round, round grip 3.5 inch offset wheel. This will make aggressive driving so much easier. If you are in a tight squeeze where you are countersteering a lot, you could now just break grip slightly and let the round wheel spin in your hands without blasting into radio buttons and getting caught up on that huge airbag and all that jazz. Some may not feel its that big of a deal, however i really think it would improve the seating position and feel of the car. You can also get like 380mm wheels that are not much smaller than the stock one. The Nardi deep corn and many other wheels already have red stitching as well, so it would go right in and match. When im cruising on the highway with the cruise control on, i could also pull my knees back from the pedals and my knees could sit directly behind the wheel freely without bashing into the back of the steering wheel.

After this, the next piece i plan to look into fabbing is a slightly taller adjustable race shifter handle that would sit slightly closer to the wheel comparable to the c5r race car.
can you do a Quick release style??? if so im in for one....Frank
Old 12-20-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Regular

UPDATE---Chris/GFORCE1320 over at LS1GTO is ready to start making these so we may get them even cheaper! He need some details if anyone cares to help out with furnishing the specs he needs.

Buzz
Old 12-20-2009, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by my first GTO
can you do a Quick release style??? if so im in for one....Frank
if there is a hub fabbed for the car, then you could add any quick detach kit to it you wanted, as well as steering wheel spacers.

like this....

you can even buy a lock for the quick release like this so someone else with the same quick release hub cant just plop their wheel in your car and steal yo ****...

heres a spacer. they make these from like just a few mm's all the way to like 7 inches in thickness..

heres a vette with a nice wheel so you can see what the gm style dash looks like with the RIGHT kind of steering wheel on the car...

im totally down to have chris do this for us instead.

LMK whatever specs he needs... as ive been told the wheel is a .9" 45 spline, but then again i got that info from ls1gto.com so im sure theres a great possibility that its WRONG like most of the other info you will find there, lol.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Teching In

I am IN! count me for one for sure!!!
Old 12-25-2009, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

we need to post a list of who all wants these so Chris has an idea of whats needed and so forth...
Old 07-30-2010, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

ive been putting this off, but its really been bothering me lately.

Anyone still down for this,

I still have the guys number and am planning on buying the nrg hub and sending it off to have it machined. I never had any luck with the chris guy, and have a machine shop guy who is going to broach it for me instead.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 AM
8 Second Club

ive been putting this off, but its really been bothering me lately.

Anyone still down for this,

I still have the guys number and am planning on buying the nrg hub and sending it off to have it machined. I never had any luck with the chris guy, and have a machine shop guy who is going to broach it for me instead.
we would be in for one
Old 08-02-2010, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

a local friend whos family owns a cnc machining business is taking the solid works renderings and making me one of my own.

Im also currently working with a well known steering wheel hub manufacturer to have the specs i have drafted up (and revised off some suggestions given) turned into an available hub mass produced for the gto based off the interest both here and on the uk forums i participate on. This means that instead of just giving up on you guys since i will have one regardless, i am working on getting the companies to mass produce them for you all based off my measurements and testing.

I will keep you updated with news about whats in store.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Excellent, I thought you disappeared when it seemed like it would be a nightmare.
Thanx and good work!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Buzzmanb12
Excellent, I thought you disappeared when it seemed like it would be a nightmare.
Thanx and good work!
Name:  40369_1507262200097_1190559863_1431784_1286899_n.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  32.9 KB

he just has to wire edm the OD: 22.85mm (.8995") 41 spline into it.

a work in progress, haha..
Old 08-03-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Lemme know when it's done, I need a smaller wheel.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Teching In

count me in for a quick release for an aftermarket wheel.it'll make the car feel smaller :-)
Old 08-12-2010, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

sick of waiting on that chris dude, ****** DIY. haha

My good friend makes **** when he is bored.....

Name:  blower2.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  28.6 KB

Name:  blower.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  37.1 KB

yea, made from scratch..

heres the hub

Name:  hub.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  34.6 KB

hes gotta wire edm out the 41 spline, and drill and tap for the nardi bolt pattern.

ps... There is a single extra one for ya buzzman Ill let you know once ive tested it out.

Last edited by RX666; 08-12-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

sick of waiting on that chris dude, ****** DIY. haha

My good friend makes **** when he is bored.....

yea, made from scratch..

heres the hub

hes gotta wire edm out the 41 spline, and drill and tap for the nardi bolt pattern.

ps... There is a single extra one for ya buzzman Ill let you know once ive tested it out.
Thanx brother! Let me know the cost of all of this and I will help offset it for you. If you need some stock GTO parts hit me up, I can get quite a few of them super cheap.
I can also get just about anything metal powder coated pretty cheap, example:
Rims powder coated for $60 apiece for basic colors, silver thru black and any mix in between. $40 for any color if you provide your own powder.
It just takes a little extra time, the dude that does it is a machinist and does the coating on the side at his work.
I had him do my aluminum intake tube and some other small stuff and it came out pretty sweet looking. He also made me some hub centering rings for my weld racelights.

Quick Reply: GTO Steering Wheel Hub Fabrication, Who wants in?!!