Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

New to the forum! Saw a spoilerless GTO

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum! Saw a spoilerless GTO

Hey everyone, my name is Mike and I'm new to the forum here. I'm apart of quite a few different other forums and I'd found this site due to my new found appreciation for the GTO. So I wanted to sign up, say hi and post a little though.

I seen DansLS1 lives in Garden City which is right around the corner of where I have some friends, surprised I haven't seem him around before!

I seen a Yellow GTO driving through Canton yesturday and I must say, it was absolutely gorgeous. As it passed, I looked in the mirror and had a double take. It had no spoiler! And it looks absolutely gorgeous still without one as well! Sorta gave it a "tuner" look where the front and the back are all nice and clean/low to the ground. I wasn't sure if anyone else had tried this? Or if maybe he just special ordered it like that?

Right now I'm trying to get rid of my 2003 Grand Am GT. Its got the full GM SC/T body kit (composite hood, spoiler and body kit which is a rarity, only 3 in the state of michigan, probably only 13 in the US including the concept Grand Am that GM made for the car show in 02). It made it into the Grand Am GT.com calandar as well but it doesn't do it for me speed wise. Surprisingly it dynoed at 163.4 at the wheels with only a cold air intake and borla exhaust. Stock is around 140 at the wheels so I was impressed nonetheless with the sound and HP numbers. Right now if I do get rid of the car, its between a G35 or a GTO. I hate to come on a Domestic forum and hail Foreign, but I have fallen in love with the idea of a small import with 280hp v6 RWD with a 6 speed. I'm blabbing now, but just wanted to say hi and give a shout to all the Michigan people on here!!
Old 06-24-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Silver Ecstasy
I hate to come on a Domestic forum and hail Foreign, but I have fallen in love with the idea of a small import with 280hp v6 RWD with a 6 speed.
The GTO is a little larger import with a 350HP V8 RWD with a 6 speed.

You'll get better deals on GTOs this fall then you will on G35s, patience is virtue.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Hehe, nice technicality, I didn't even think about that!

Well, its seeming like patience may pay off in all ends.

G35 Coupe in 05 is getting a 300hp tune-up treatment with a few additions.
GTO will offer the LS2 and hopefully, the dual exhaust.

Both have tiny trunks, tiny back seats. I can't seem to decide, but I have nothing but time. I heard on the radio today that they're running specials on the GTO already? Fall would be nice, but its so close to Michigan winters..we'll see. I have to get rid of my car first, cause i'm in a loan. Here's a full shot of it for anyone who's curious.
This is the calendar shot.

Old 06-24-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

GTO will offer the LS2 and hopefully, the dual exhaust.
I heard on the radio today that they're running specials on the GTO already?
400HP LS2 and different exhaust confirmed for 2005 (means better deals on remaining 04s this fall). And dealers may or may not be running specials already (those that have a few in stock will be knocking the price down, again it'll be even better in the fall).
Old 06-24-2004, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

www.ls1gto.com
Old 06-25-2004, 06:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've also seen that yellow car once in Westland. It's a custom job - you can't order w/o the spoiler now. I'm split - I like the stock looks, but it is aweful clean without it. I was down in Canton yesterday as a matter of fact - went to La Shish at Ford and Canton Center for dinner. One of these days I'm going to make it out to hang and cruise w/ some of the guys from this board (there's an ongoing thread in the midwesterner's forum about meetups) - I'd be glad to show off the goat for ya if you show up
Dan
Old 06-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Definately, a meet sounds great! Ford and Canton Center is right around the corner from my house! That yellow GTO is amazing, I love that look!
Old 06-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

G35 05 coupe not getting 300HP, only 295HP.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

I seen a Yellow GTO driving through Canton yesturday and I must say, it was absolutely gorgeous. As it passed, I looked in the mirror and had a double take. It had no spoiler! And it looks absolutely gorgeous still without one as well! Sorta gave it a "tuner" look where the front and the back are all nice and clean/low to the ground. I wasn't sure if anyone else had tried this? Or if maybe he just special ordered it like that?
Originally Posted by DANSLS1GTO
I've also seen that yellow car once in Westland. It's a custom job - you can't order w/o the spoiler now.
M-plated?

It belongs to GM / Hydramatic, been down in Ypsi at Powertrain for some work lately. It came without the spoiler.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Didn't catch the plate - tried but he had somebody behind him. That would explain it - although a few have removed their spoilers in other areas of the country. It would have been a tough call for me if it was an option to have it or not...
Dan
Old 06-29-2004, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Here's mine without the spoiler. Unfortunately I've had a hard time getting a trunk lid to fill the holes in on as everyone keeps getting rear ended!
Attached Thumbnails New to the forum!  Saw a spoilerless GTO-gto-10-resized.jpg  
Old 06-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Teching In

HOT! I love that look 10x better.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Me too! It contributes to the smooth, flowing lines of the car. The spoiler makes it look like it's got a big butt, covers about 1/3rd of the rear window through the mirror and gives it a big mustang like abrupt rear look.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:26 AM
Teching In

I always thought the spoiler looked real clean, but after seeing it from different angles, it does make the rear end look huge and the front pinched down all small. Did you do the work yourself? If I ever did pick one up, i'm sure my dad's body shop could do the work for me to fill in the holes.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just unbolted and removed it. I still have the holes in the trunk lid.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Aww ghetto! Tell me you're fixing that!
Old 06-30-2004, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Of course. However as I eluded to in my original post, trying to source a new decklid to fill the holes in isn't very easy. I don't want to fill in my factory lid, should at some point down the road, I decide to get rid of the car.

Anyway, body parts are scare and all the GTO's that are getting into accidents here in the states are all being rear ended or roll overs. If someone would just T-bone one or have a head on, I could snag the deck lid. I hate to sound so uncaring, I'm not, but just this past weekend alone, two more on LS1GTO.com were wrecked. Both more rear endings! Grrrrr....
Old 06-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Wait, they've been rear ending people? Or they're getting rear ended??

I didn't mean to sound critical about the holes, thats just my way of being humorous. From the way my dad explained to me when I asked him about shaving my trunk lock, he explained that all we'd have to do is weld a small piece of sheet metal into the hole, giving as much leverage in the hole as we can before we fill it with bondo. (The less bondo the better). Then sand the entire decklid down and sand it. But from what it sounds like, you wanna salvage your stock deck incase you want to get rid of the car and want to include factory equipment?
Old 06-30-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is correct.

I'm looking for a donor deck lid, but GTO's keep getting rear ended.

Local Pontiac dealers can get them for $248, but then they laugh at me when I ask how long it'll take to get. Remember, the trunk lids also have to come from Australia. Seeing as though only roughly 5,000 GTO's are even on U.S. soil, there aren't many spare body parts in circulation.

That's the rock and a hard place we're in.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Teching In

What are the chances you'll sell the car and the purchaser will want the spoiler? If anything that could be a selling tool for you, being as unique as is? Just an idea.

Quick Reply: New to the forum! Saw a spoilerless GTO