Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

2005 Mustang GT VS 2004 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Mustang GT VS 2004 GTO

I drove both prior to getting my GTO last weak. I was thrilled that the dealers finally started getting in the Mustang GTs. I was 99.5% sure it was my next car, Until i experienced it first hand.

First, the 2005 Mustang is so far superior to any previous Mustang it is scary. Fit, finish, materials and the new platofrm are very impresssive. Performance wise, it is a dead tie with the GTO. The 5 speed manual GT against the M6 GTO would have to be too close to call. The mustang islighter but has less power so it was a drw. The exhaust sound from the GT was intoxicationg. Right out of the wrapper I would not change a thing about the way it sounds. Truly Awesome!!! I was also really taken with the new front end. Just beautiful too.

What won me over on the GTO was an accumulation of little things and one big thing AGAINST the Mustang GT. 1) The mustang is truly a MUCH smaller car. It is considerably narrower inside. It also has considerably smaller seats and the back seat is still just for kids at best. The seats look nice, but there is no comparison to the GTO, definately a GTO high point!!! 2) The new 3-Valve heads on the new 4.6 V-8 is not yet as customisable as the old 4.6/5.0 motors. 3) The transmission was a little notchy compared to the GTO and was definately pulling more RPMs on the interstate. 4) Besides the exhaust sound, I found the GT to be a little more crude and a bit noisier on the roadwit a rougher ride. 5) The one thing that really swayed me the most though was the simple fact that the GTOs are so much more rare. Personally, I have only seen one on the road not on a dealer lot. When we returned from the test drive in the Mustang we passed over thirty 2000-2004's , used , just sitting there not to mention probably seeing a dozen or so on the road of the old mustang. Give it a year and mustangs will be everywhere.

In short the GTO was a bigger, more comfortable, better riding car to me, quieter, more customisable and as bulletproof as they come from a drivetrain standpoint, with equal perfoamnce and more class and exclusivity than the Mustang will ever have. I just want the exhaust note of the GT in my GTO and it would be pure bliss!!!
Old 11-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Good review!

The onlt thing I dont like about the Mustang is in 6 months everone will have one.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

You got that right but if you think the 2004 gto is good with the 2005 mustang wait for the2005 gto
Old 11-27-2004, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good comparo. I also think one thing the GTO has in its corner is more versatility power wise. I'll bet you one thing, the Mustang will not have the room to grow power wise, like the GTO does. We all know what happens with a cam, headers, exhaust and a good tune. I doubt very seriously the new 4.6 will get close to GTO in ultimate performance. And it will probably cost alot more in the process. Theres always a superchager, but you can put that on GTO's too
Old 11-27-2004, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

most mustangs are 6 bangers and are cheap to get . every gto has the same engine , there are no cheap versions to devalue the car , thats what i like .
Old 11-28-2004, 01:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rayce08
most mustangs are 6 bangers and are cheap to get . every gto has the same engine , there are no cheap versions to devalue the car , thats what i like .
Ditto that...
Old 11-28-2004, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

I haven't seen a bone stock GT run 13.10's in the 1/4. I own a bone stock GTO that does.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

i want a new gto so bad i find myself stalking the local pontiac dealership! i would trade my 25 yo wife in if they would give me money for her .
Old 11-28-2004, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rayce08
i want a new gto so bad i find myself stalking the local pontiac dealership! i would trade my 25 yo wife in if they would give me money for her .
I take it that she can't read or else you'd be in a lot of trouble right now. How much money? Need picture first.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigGoat
I take it that she can't read or else you'd be in a lot of trouble right now. How much money? Need picture first.
I am with Big Goat on this one, need some pics of the wife and whatever Bi Goat offers I will give you $1 more. Ever think about EBAYING her?
Old 11-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlh1967GTO
with equal perfoamnce and more class and exclusivity than the Mustang will ever have.
ur tellin me that the new mudstains r pushing out as much power as the GTOs!? i cant hardly believe that.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:17 PM
MSI
Teching In

I am a Mustang guy but after looking at both the GTO does have a nicer interior and more space, the exterior on both can either be admired or hated, depending on the person. Performance-wise, either one can be made to outrun the other modded and stock it depends on the drivers. That being said, comparing MSRP to MSRP a Mustang can be had for 5k or so cheaper, so I'd like to wait for another special edition Mach 1 or something along those lines to come along with the same MSRPs and then I think the comparison between performance will be a lot more interesting with the LS2 coming out and whatever Ford has in the works.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:44 PM
MSI
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pontiac GTO
Good review!

The onlt thing I dont like about the Mustang is in 6 months everone will have one.
This is true, but we all know what happens when a car does NOT sell that good.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MSI
That being said, comparing MSRP to MSRP a Mustang can be had for 5k or so cheaper, so I'd like to wait for another special edition Mach 1 or something along those lines to come along with the same MSRPs and then I think the comparison between performance will be a lot more interesting with the LS2 coming out and whatever Ford has in the works.
Hmm, yes the LS2 will make it all the more interesting... Although the live rear axle in the 05 GT makes sence for drag racers, the everyday driver really doesnt benifit. Then again, for Ford it cost them less to do and made more people happy (who wanted it that way) so i guess thats that. Most people wouldnt know either way unless they are coming from some squishy car like an Accord.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

Forget the pics. Ive got the documents ready where do I sign? oooohhhhh yeah 25 years young.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Giving the HP to HP exercise and all that. My problem with the Mustang is quite simple.
THEY ARE EVERYWHERE AND EVERYBODY HAS ONE.
I am the only GTO around......
Old 11-29-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

The 2005 Mustang interior is pretty cool if it has the aluminum trim, but otherwise it is way to much hard black plastic. Almost every surface is hard to the touch. Also, the el cheapo Ford parts bin switches and radio doesn't help.

The Mustang sits very high (like they always have) but the biggest advantage over the GTO? It has a decent trunk and the rear seat folds down.

Just curious, but what can Ford do next? A retro '74 Mustang II?
Old 12-01-2004, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

so far, i've only seen 2 GTO's out on the streets not including mine. i've already seen at least 20 new mustangs in november.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:25 AM
Staging Lane

compare the 05 stang with the 05 GTO. In the real world the 05 stang are not dipping into the low or even the mid 13, its a 14 sec car.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MSI
I am a Mustang guy but after looking at both the GTO does have a nicer interior and more space, the exterior on both can either be admired or hated, depending on the person. Performance-wise, either one can be made to outrun the other modded and stock it depends on the drivers. That being said, comparing MSRP to MSRP a Mustang can be had for 5k or so cheaper, so I'd like to wait for another special edition Mach 1 or something along those lines to come along with the same MSRPs and then I think the comparison between performance will be a lot more interesting with the LS2 coming out and whatever Ford has in the works.
Used to be a Mustang guy too. Till I converted Anyway, I would dis-agree with you on the Performance aspect. Due to the Mustangs Modular architecure and new valvetrain config. I do not believe that you will be able to modify a Mustang to outrun a GTO any where near as easily as the you could with the LS1-LS2. Of coarse, again, unless you install a supercharger. Due to the 4.6 modular engine block design, it does not lend itself to growing (ci wise) much beyond where they are now. I'm sure the 3v heads will be a big improvement over the PI 2v heads, but they will not be able to compensate for the lack of cubes. The one thing the Mustang does have going for it is the lack of lard. Weighing in almost 300lbs lighter than the GTO, the goat needs those extra cubes. But ultimately, I believe it will not only be cheaper to modify the GTO but also be more effective. Nothing like good ole LSx power MSRP to MSRP your right the Mustang has an advantage. But here in the real world, since GTO's aren't selling well and Mustangs are, in a lot of cases you can get a GTO for about the same price as a Mustang. Ford dealers are their customers because of the popularity and getting some nifty extra cash. I believe a well equipped Mustang GT ranges somewhere in the 26,000. area, MSRP and dealers are usually getting that plus a grand or two. With incentives from GM and slow sales you can get a GTO in the 27,500.00 area. Especially since they need to get them moved to make room for the ls2 cars and when your sitting at the tree or the light and it goes green, who's car sales more, doesn't mean

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang GT VS 2004 GTO