Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Audio System Cuts Out

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Audio System Cuts Out

I find that when I play the music loud after about fifteen minutes the radio cuts out and I don't hear anything. I guess this is a governor for the audio system. Is there any way to remove it? also, has anyone replaced the stock amp...would that help?
Old 01-03-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Dont use the equilizer function first of all.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Default audio system cutting out

The EQ is turned off and I adjusted the bass to +2 and the treble to +5
Old 01-03-2005, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nick368
I find that when I play the music loud after about fifteen minutes the radio cuts out and I don't hear anything. I guess this is a governor for the audio system. Is there any way to remove it? also, has anyone replaced the stock amp...would that help?
My guess would be the "auto distortion limiter" which cuts out your stereo when there is distortion - you can turn this feature off on your vehicle personalization settings. (see manual).
Old 01-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Teching In

I have turned off the distortion limiter, the EQ, and the speed sensitive volume and mine still cuts off....... Haven't turned up the stock amp yet. Everyone I have asked says that there is nothing that can be done except for not cranking the stereo
Old 01-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

well, if we could limit it down to what is over heating we could solve the problem with cooling. maybe someone should turn the sub amp down all the way and see if it is sensing that over heating or if its the HU internal amp for the main speakers.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Default Stereo System...Could be MUCH MUCH Better

How can i put this with out making my car sad. I don't really like the stereo system....when you want to turn the volume up it isn't even loud. And when the bass is over 3 and it is "loud" like at 62 vol. or it is on the Auto EQ. the bass is just hitting to hard and makes my speakers sound distorted. I truly believe these speakers are too weak for the stereo head unit and amp. maybe i am doing something wrong but as of right now i have it set to Bass at 2 and Treb. at 5. i think something could be changed. and as for that auto volume control i tried to remove that i think it still goes up in volume with my speed....it is on the off position. Who the hell knows

Kristen Jankovich
Old 01-04-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Kristen I compleyely agree...the head unit and amp are real nice on these cars...I think the speakers just aren't up to spec. BTW nice choice on the combo u have! I just picked up my Blue/black/m6 last week!
Old 01-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

You can turn up the bass on the amp so that it sends more to the subs, and you can actually lower the bass setting on the head unit. I did that on mine and found I can listen to it longer before it cuts out. Your amp is on the driver's side of the trunk, on the inner 1/4 panel. Pull back the carpet on the side of your trunk and you can see it. Unscrew it, and you will see the adjustment *****.

Hope that helps a bit.

Quick Reply: Audio System Cuts Out