Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Questions bout GTo from a potential GTO owner..please help, thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions bout GTo from a potential GTO owner..please help, thanks!

Ok,

So I am looking at 2006 GTO's right now, a Torrid Red one, A4, $26,000. Here are my questions:

1. Any way to get a sunroof?
2. How much does gas cost you to fill up? (what do you pay per gallon also)
3. Aftermarket parts. Are there lots of exhaust, engine, suspension, aftermarket parts?
4. Visual aftermarket parts. Do they have aftermarket parts appearence wise?
5. How are these cars in rain/snow?
6. How is the A4 in these cars? After owning a M6 WS6, I do not want another Manuel, to expensive to fix.
7. What is the best/worst things about this car.

This will probably be a daily driver, and I just sold my WS6, so, please help me out and answer some questions. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2007, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nikeair042
Ok,

So I am looking at 2006 GTO's right now, a Torrid Red one, A4, $26,000. Here are my questions:

3. Aftermarket parts. Are there lots of exhaust, engine, suspension, aftermarket parts?
6. How is the A4 in these cars? After owning a M6 WS6, I do not want another Manuel, to expensive to fix.

This will probably be a daily driver, and I just sold my WS6, so, please help me out and answer some questions. Thanks!
1. WHY?? I am sure you could but headroom would suffer
2. $3.05/gallon in NE Texas $50. Much less than my truck
3. There are hundreds of aftermarket parts out there.
4. You could but why mess up such a beautiful car. You can buy the Monaro kit from Austrailia it is nice, or the fugly body kits on some other websites. I have seen racing stripe vinyls for a good price too.
5. Rain is great, never been in snow.
6. Have not had any problems with my 04 but I upgraded the clutch, the A4 is better for the strip.
7. Worst is the small truck, Best too numerous to discuss
Old 07-25-2007, 05:47 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

sunroof is not available from the factory, unless you live in Australia. I wish they had them here.

engine is the LS2, you can do just about anything aftermarket with it.

appearance wise you can do wheels, Sport Appearance grilles and nose, Monaro nose, various Holden tail lights, various spoilers, etc...

automatics are boring and use a lot more fuel than the manual.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

1. Aftermarket places can easily install a sunroof for you, I've seen them.
2. about 45-50 at 3.02 a gallon
3. Aftermarket parts for everything, it's all there, lots of choices.
4. Not a lot of visual aftermarket, but there are some choices.
5. In the rain it's fine, the IRS makes it pretty friendly when it gets squirrely
6. A4 will easily handle up to about 450rwhp, the fastest GTO's are all autos.
7. Best thing is the amazing interior and comfort. Worst thing is it's suspension.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

I went from an A4 to an M6 from my 01 WS6 to my 06 GTO. Kind of funny that you are doing the opposite.

I found that if you want a new car with plenty of HP and modibility (is that a word? I don't know LOL) then go for the GTO.

After the WS6 you may find yourself loving the interior of the GTO... I know I do. And if you can get a new 06' for $26,000 then that is a great deal.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

M6 for daily driving is too annoying for me. Manuel are just very expensive when something goes wrong. Its going to see the track once in a while, but I am not looking to go nuts with power. Where can I find the Holden parts, like the nose and tail lights someone had mentioned. Also,

How many miles on 1 full tank of gas...
Old 07-25-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

M6 for daily driving is too annoying for me. Manuel are just very expensive when something goes wrong. Its going to see the track once in a while, but I am not looking to go nuts with power. Where can I find the Holden parts, like the nose and tail lights someone had mentioned. Also,

How many miles on 1 full tank of gas...
http://www.jhp.com.au/monaro-gto/gto-body-kits.php

You should be able to get at least 400 per tank, On a long road trip I averaged 29 miles to the gallon 522
Old 07-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Ok,

1. Only aftermarket as was said
2. $40-55 depending on how low and how much gas is, usually around the low fuel ding its about $45-48 at a little over $3/gal
3. Anything you can imagine, although not as cheap as F-body stuff
4. Alot more than people would have you think, you just have to look around, its very easy to make a GTO a truly one of a kind vehicle IMO it just takes a little work
5. Dont know about snow, but its fine in the rain, I dont even worry about it
6. Alot, lot stronger than the A4s in F-Bodies. They'll handle quite a bit of power stock, and can be built to handle alot more. They shift alot more firm than F-bodies as well. The only thing is torque management which needs to be dialed back or deleted with any auto.
7. Best, its a jack of all trades. Fast, fun, and comfortable to drive daily or on long trips. The biggest drawbacks to me are the access to the backseat (PITA waiting on the seat to move forward, and still not great access) and a ridiculously small trunk. The weight doesn't help it either. I haven't had a single problem with my suspension and have only had to upgrade as I've wanted to, not out of necessity. Do your research though and look over the car you're buying very well. Oh, and the stock paint sucks. The clear and paint are very soft and chip easily.

Overall though they're amazing cars IMO. The best car I've ever owned by a long shot. You're never going to have the perfect car but for me and my dollar the GTO is the closest thing I can get to it.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

Let us know if you pick one up... Good luck.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

1. Any way to get a sunroof? After-market only

2. How much does gas cost you to fill up? (what do you pay per gallon also) See other posts

3. Aftermarket parts. Are there lots of exhaust, engine, suspension, aftermarket parts? Yes, lots and lots. Pricey though.

Not so many.

5. How are these cars in rain/snow? Try not to drive in either. In the rain, T/C is your friend!

6. How is the A4 in these cars? After owning a M6 WS6, I do not want another Manuel, to expensive to fix. See other posts

7. What is the best/worst things about this car. Best thing about this car is that is relatively uncommon. Don't see one on every corner. The seats are the best in the biz. The worst things are a pain but you can deal with them. The slow *** seat motor; the a-pillar head testing unit (which is probably my fault); the tire sizes that will fit is ridiculous; and the trunk is almost an exercise in futility.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

Default gto

well mileage depends all on how u drive if u stay out of it and drive normal im sure u can get 24+ which is great on a 400 hp car m6 usually gets about 3-4 more mpg you can do all kinds of mods, rims and tint are good ones
belive it or not ive drove the hell out of mine in the snow, i know but 4x4 down and had to work, leave TC on and stay out of it in the cruves and keep a nice slow steady speed and it will go
Old 07-26-2007, 06:39 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Oh yeah, the good old a-pillar right of passage. I nailed my head a few times on it good before I learned.

The tire too, you cant fit much more than a 275 underneath these practically which is a big drawback to some depending on what you're using the car for.

And I normally get well over 300 miles to a tank. When I first fill up my range says I have 330 miles but it stays on 330 for quite a few miles before it the range starts saying I've got less mileage to go. This is in an auto car. Manuals obviously will get better mileage. My gas mileage according to the car is around 18-20 depending on how I drive but I've never figured it up myself to see if thats dead on accurate.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome. I was only getting about 280 miles on a full tank with an M6, mostly highway, I did not think that was so great. It's a daily driver so I dont want to be paying $50 a week to fill the tank. That is prob the biggest problem I have with this car is the gas mileage. Gas is going to go up at some point.

I was also looking at the 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP. To me, thats a nice car when it gets built. But it still isnt a muscle car and reminds me more of a "tuner" then an american power house.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome. I was only getting about 280 miles on a full tank with an M6, mostly highway, I did not think that was so great. It's a daily driver so I dont want to be paying $50 a week to fill the tank. That is prob the biggest problem I have with this car is the gas mileage. Gas is going to go up at some point.

I was also looking at the 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP. To me, thats a nice car when it gets built. But it still isnt a muscle car and reminds me more of a "tuner" then an american power house.
Hey, man, the A4 is nice in this NJ traffic. The 4L65E shifts real firm. I get sideways going into 2nd @46mph at wot. If you keep your foot out of the throttle you'll get great gas milage. I have about a 40 mile round trip to work and back everyday with about 100 stoplights, and if I fill up on a Sunday evening, it lasts all through the week with enough left over for some friday and saturday night cruising. Not too bad for a 400hp car. Cost 45-50 bucks to fill up. If you don't want to pay that much for gas, you don't want a car that uses 93 octane, IE no muscle car.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

id say the A4 is way more expensive to fix than a manual trans, but you have your reasons, one guy said it right "Most" of the fastest guys are A4's but a properly driven M6 should always beat the A4 mod for mod. i get about 350 miles per tank with 3.91 gears with the M6. the car is great in rain but terrible in snow (with the stock 18's with summer tires) im sure with snow tires it'd be fine. with gas prices around $3 its probably gonna cost you anywhere between 40 and 50 bucks to fill up, mine is usually 42$ on an 18 gallon tank.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Teching In

You can make the car look like completely different as in a Monaro. Modding cost is NOT expensive as people put it. To me it is the same as a WS6 or SS. I did not like the stock suspension thou. The stock front sits too high compared to the rear and over 80 MPH would feel light. Switched over to Pedders drop springs, struts, and shocks and now the handling is unbeliveable. Better than a stock WS6 in my opinion. Over 400Hp to the wheels can be done for around $3,000 dollars.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

fixing an automatic is more expensive, but how often do auto break if you drive it right? fixing my clutch in my WS6 with install was $2,100. If you drive an auto the way you should, you wont break anything. Im just debating between GTO and G6 GXP
Old 07-26-2007, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

fixing an automatic is more expensive, but how often do auto break if you drive it right? fixing my clutch in my WS6 with install was $2,100. If you drive an auto the way you should, you wont break anything. Im just debating between GTO and G6 GXP
Debate no more, do not buy the G6 GXP, It is a Grand Am remake for heaven's sake. Stick with the muscle, buy the M6 have more power and = gas mileage.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Personally, after having my WS6 for five years I could not go to a car with less than 350 HP. I also used my WS6 in the Michigan winters with Dunlop M3s and I drove every day and never got stuck or had a problem and that was with over 400 HP with an A4 with a shift kit and 3.73 gears.

The GTO should be a breeze to drive in the winter if you have any experience with a rear wheel drive truck/car ion the winter snow and ice.

But if HP and rear wheel drive do not matter and gas mileage is the deciding factor then i would suggest the Prius. 50 to 60 mpg
Old 07-26-2007, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!! and where is this so called gto at i want toooooo! destroy it--yeah thats it.

Quick Reply: Questions bout GTo from a potential GTO owner..please help, thanks!