My 1st track day

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My 1st track day

Couple of questions.
My car is 02 SS 35th LE turbo
I have Hawk HPS pads and cross drilled slotted rotors.
I was going to change my fluid with DOT 3, but now considering higher temp fluid.
Some say for my 1st track day, just go with bleeding or replacing with DOT 3 or 4 if I've had the fluid in the car for more than 18mos.
1. Should I replace with higher temp Motul or similiar?
2. Replace with DOT 3 or 4?

The sessions will last about 20 minutes and there will be 3 to 4 sessions.
Input welcome...Thanks
Old 01-16-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go w/the Motul.Did you do stainless line's and get rid of the rubber ?You will get brake fad w/ rubber from the fluid heating them up.Are you going to PBIR ? I will try it when i get my 2010 SS M6 and recover a little better from my bike accident.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HPS pads and DOT3 fluid is fine for now. That is what I have and have not really hit a limit yet after 5 HPDEs. My only other brake mod is Powerslot rotors.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
I would go w/the Motul.Did you do stainless line's and get rid of the rubber ?You will get brake fad w/ rubber from the fluid heating them up.Are you going to PBIR ? I will try it when i get my 2010 SS M6 and recover a little better from my bike accident.
Wow, sorry to hear about the bike ax. I've done track days on my bike here in Homestead..good times..sold the bike.
So, you are getting 2010 CAMARO SS!!! NOICE!!!!
I am trying to get my funds together for the convertable which is supposedly due out a year after the coupe release.
Yes, I will going to PBIR.

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
HPS pads and DOT3 fluid is fine for now. That is what I have and have not really hit a limit yet after 5 HPDEs. My only other brake mod is Powerslot rotors.
I too have upgraded rotors/cross drilled/slotted.
Thanks for the heads up. I have a pint of DOT 4 and quart of DOT 3. I will swap out the fluid with DOT 3 and use as much of the DOT 4 I have. Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
This is sound advice.

For a first time out, fresh fluid and good, solid brakes will be fine.

Listen to your instructor, ask a lot of questions, check your ego at the gate and you will have the time of your life.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are HPS's good for HPDEs? I heat them up to the point they burn off my dust boots in 5 laps on a 1.8 mile course. I assumed they were not the ideal choice for repeated laps, more for autocross/street.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

His first track day ... your 1000th?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by maxgee
I too have upgraded rotors/cross drilled/slotted.
Thanks for the heads up. I have a pint of DOT 4 and quart of DOT 3. I will swap out the fluid with DOT 3 and use as much of the DOT 4 I have. Thanks again.
do a search or read up on tirerack's website.....drilled/slotted rotors are for SHOW ONLY. they can be DANGEROUS on a track. keep them for the street, but rip those pieces of garbage off your car before any track day. get brembo blanks or any cheap solid rotor, then toss them after the track day. im not going to bother explaining why, i and many others have done it a dozen times. just trust in the fact that they are for show only, and lose them for any real driving/racing.

HPS might be alright on a track, depending on your driving style and type of track. i have ducts on my TA, and overheated a brand new seat of C5 HPS in one track day. for your first time, theyll be alright. but dont be surprised if you lose some braking power by the end of the day, and will need new pads. either get a set of SOLID rotors and HP plus for track days, swapping them each time, or go the cheaper route and get plain jane pads and rotors, and toss them after each HPDE/track day.

fresh fluid is fine. DOT4 wont hurt and can be done without worrying. dont bother with motul unless youre racing alot.....real racing, not just a track day. fresh DOT4 your first time, with proper bleeding/topping off each other time is all youll need. if you get more into to, look into something like ATE super blue/red fluid. higher temps, lasts longer, etc.

to sum up:
brembo blanks/HP+ pads OR cheap blanks/cheap pads (disposable)
fresh DOT4 fluid, bleeding before each other track day
typical saftey check: hoses, belts, empty interior, etc
Old 01-18-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Echo
I did do some reading and found that the cross drilled rotors are for looks.
I was considering getting some blanks Autozone Duralast with my current HPS pads.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

slots are also for looks, though safer then drilled. slotted rotors came with my C5 kit, so thats the only reason im using them for now. soon enough ill get brembo blanks for track, and keep the slots for street.

depending on the track youre going to, youll probably end up overheated the HPS. dont be surprised if youll have to replace them. if youre going to autozone for rotors, id suggest getting any regular pad to go with the cheap blanks, then toss them after the track day. its alot cheaper to burn through $30 duralast pads then $90+ HPS.

HPS is a fantastic street pad, and hold up well to an autox. but just fall short on a track after anything more then a few laps.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 AM
FormerVendor

I can agree that drilled rotors are mainly for looks but slotted rotors are used by a large majority of race teams and work really well. The problem is most people buy cheap rotors and they fail, then everyone thinks the design is flawed cause some crappy cheap parts failed.

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
slots are also for looks, though safer then drilled. slotted rotors came with my C5 kit, so thats the only reason im using them for now. soon enough ill get brembo blanks for track, and keep the slots for street.

depending on the track youre going to, youll probably end up overheated the HPS. dont be surprised if youll have to replace them. if youre going to autozone for rotors, id suggest getting any regular pad to go with the cheap blanks, then toss them after the track day. its alot cheaper to burn through $30 duralast pads then $90+ HPS.

HPS is a fantastic street pad, and hold up well to an autox. but just fall short on a track after anything more then a few laps.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Remember guys ... this is his FIRST track day.

As an instructor for several DE and driving schools, outfitting the car with performance brakes is a recipe for disaster. First thing that needs to be drilled is car control and car management.

A student needs to feel what threshold braking and ABS feels like and they also need to feel what brake fade feels like.

They need to feel the car slide around and they need to hear the tires screaming as they over-drive them.

It's all about building a solid foundation so when performance upgrades are installed, the driver can be better prepared to know when something is wrong.

Carbotech XP-10s and Hoosier R6s can mask a lot of driver errors and car feedback to an inexperienced driver.

My $0.02 ...
Old 01-19-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Remember guys ... this is his FIRST track day.

As an instructor for several DE and driving schools, outfitting the car with performance brakes is a recipe for disaster. First thing that needs to be drilled is car control and car management.

A student needs to feel what threshold braking and ABS feels like and they also need to feel what brake fade feels like.

They need to feel the car slide around and they need to hear the tires screaming as they over-drive them.

It's all about building a solid foundation so when performance upgrades are installed, the driver can be better prepared to know when something is wrong.

Carbotech XP-10s and Hoosier R6s can mask a lot of driver errors and car feedback to an inexperienced driver.

My $0.02 ...
I would listen to Mitch, that is how I started. Basic, up to par OEM stuff. "Man's got to know his limitations"
Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Teching In

+1 on Mitch's advice.

As a side note, Motul is great on the track but absorbs water like crazy. Plan on changing brake fluid twice a season minimum.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

And yes, carbotech makes rotor friendly brake shoes.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me start by saying my car is a lot heavier than you F-Body guys, probabaly right around 4000lbs with gas and driver.

I had HPS's on my car my first HPDE, along with superblue fluid. The brakes were fading something fierce. My tires (which were nothing special, GSD3's I think), were WAY outperforming my pads. I couldn't even get into ABS. I purchased (at track prices, OUCH) some HP+'s halfway through, and it was a tremendous imporvement. I could get into ABS if I wanted, and could modulate so much better. I ran these until I switched to Hoosiers a few years later, when I upgraded to some Carbotech XP12's.

The OP might consider purchasing a set of HP+'s now, as he will need them later if he continues in HPDE. That way if he's having braking issues, he can swap at the track, and not be frustrated.

My $0.02,

Chris
Old 02-03-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did the track day and it was a blast. I will try and do another one in April or May. Brakes held up fine for my style this time around. I had more body lean then I would like...suggestions?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

start with sway bars. springs/shocks later
Old 02-03-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by maxgee
I had more body lean then I would like...suggestions?
No offense intended, but after 1 track day, there is no way you can even have a clue as to what you want.

In stock trim, the F-Car is a LOT of car. Maintain it and just drive it.

When you come back with corner weights, tire temps and pressures, a seat with restraints that give you honest feedback in your butt and when you can feel the difference in a tire that has a 1lb change in pressure, then, let's discuss suspension mods.

Here is some road race action from this weekend ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE-ILKGNH7k
Old 02-05-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

I did the Strano springs, sway bars, and Konis for my TA track upgrade. What an awesome difference, in looks and performance. Pads will definitely be required soon. Also, you might want to repl your clutch fluid with one of the higher temp fluids you will be using for your brakes.

Quick Reply: My 1st track day