Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

adjusting pedals for heel toe

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default adjusting pedals for heel toe

Wondering if anyone has any ideas or has done this to make all 3 pedals on their LS1 fbody flush for heel & toe driving?
Since only the throttle sits lower, it would seem easiest to adjust/shim this pedal upwards to make them all flush. Is this possable and can it be done and not screw up the tps/ecm and wide open position with the throttle body?

thx,
Ryan
Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what people call heel-toe is usually a misnomer. personally, i think its impossible for me and in f-bodies to actually 'heel' and 'toe'. what i do is put the left half of my right foot on the brake, then when downshift, i roll my foot a bit to the right, enough to blip the throttle.

practice and itll work just fine. i wouldnt start messing with bending the pedals. you can get aftermarket pedals that screw into your stock pieces. i got a set, and the extra material on the gas pedal helps.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

If all you're doing is bending the rod that the gas pedal is attached to, then no, it won't have an effect on TPS, UNLESS you try going for ~110% throttle (all I mean is, keep in mind that "flooring it" will be pulling extra tight on the throttle cable). You may want to try the aftermarket pedal covers first, as was suggested.

BTW, I see you're from Kingston ... where are you running that you're concerned about heel/toe anyway? Do you run any track events or auto-x in Ontario?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:38 PM
FormerVendor

Hello,
We just started sponsoring LS1TECH. My company, SRP, specializes in race pedals for performance use. Check out the thread below for more info and a 20% off discount code.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...ls-20-off.html

Our pedals offer improved heel toe sizing, better grip, and easier height adjustability. Once installed, you can fine tune the height relationship between the gas and brake by "shimming" whichever pedal needs it. On every car I've owned my brake pedal was too low for easy heel toe. After I bolt on our pedals (you do have to drill to mount), I then remove the brake pedal. Then I put some flat washers between the factory brake and the new aluminum brake pedal and shim it to a better height so that heel to is effortless.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Brian
Old 04-17-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

i have a set of SRPs. bought them a few years ago, before they were sponsors there. engraved with WS6. they didnt have the options they do now, otherwise i would have gotten the grid ones. but even the machined that i have, help with downshifting.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Banned

You don't need pedals just practice.

I've perfectly matched downshifts in a slide on a autoX course with National Champion instructors sitting shotgun.... it's about HOW you do it not where the pedals are.

In fact get a good set of driving shoes. I personally like Piloti Prototipos

Bret
Old 04-23-2009, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
You don't need pedals just practice.

I've perfectly matched downshifts in a slide on a autoX course with National Champion instructors sitting shotgun.... it's about HOW you do it not where the pedals are.

In fact get a good set of driving shoes. I personally like Piloti Prototipos

Bret
I will agree with you about the shoes being very helpful.
I know I am selling pedals, so I might be a little opinionated. But, if your brake pedal gets too low under hard braking relatative to your gas, and your ankle isn't comfortable bending that far or that angle, pedals will help. If your brake and clutch are too far apart, pedals will help. If you are blipping the throttle with half your foot hanging off the brake pedal, more grip is a very good thing to have.

Being comfortable while driving is crucial to being smooth and fast. Seat, pedals, wheel, shifter. These are what you use to interact and become one with your car.

Brian
Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a .99$ nylon cutting board from Wal-Mart. It's about a 1/4" thick and they come in a lot of festive colors.

I fashioned a brake pedal out of cardboard to accomadate my club feet as I H/T as EchoMirage has described.

Using a hacksaw, I roughly cut out the desired shape and then used a sheet of sandpaper to smooth out the edges and cut lines.

I drilled 6 holes in the newly fashioned pedal cover, and used #6 flat head wood screws to afix it to the stock pedal. Placement of the screws is critical. You don't want to interfere with the pivoting points.

If a 1/4" isn't enough height, build 2 and stack them. I would use some modelers glue to hold the pieces together, though.

Cheap, easy and took me about 1/2 hour from start to finish, not including the check-out line at Wal-mart. :roll:
Old 04-23-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a set of SRP pedals on my street/track car and loved them.
now on my CMC 4th gen, i have a brake pedal cover from them and after 2 weekends of using it, i dont know how i got by the last 4 years w/out it. this past weekend was wet all weekend and not one slip off the brake pedal while "heal toe'ing".
i highly recomend them for street or track.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Banned

If people want to learn how to downshift better.... then need to practice it EVERYTIME they drive... it's the driver more than anything!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

1 "o ****" and you've spent alot more than a set of pedals. On most auto x courses, you've got plenty of run out room. I missed once at summit off the back straight coming to a 180 left turn. This is cheap insurance.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

SRP pedals are the ****!!

I was getting compliments on my heel toe downshifts.

Great product. I got the super grippy ones.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:04 PM
FormerVendor

We will only be running the 20% off discount until 6/30, so less than a week.

While I'm here, a couple of pictures (Porsche pedals).
New options now available: The Grid Trim Rings and Grid machining on the gas and footrest. The Grid Trim Rings are the borders machined around the edges of the pedals. These options are NO-COST. Pictures of pedals with these options are below.
www.srpracing.com

Quick Reply: adjusting pedals for heel toe