Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Best "race" springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003 | 12:04 PM
Teching In

Default Best "race" springs?

I've been doing some research on springs and it seems that most of the springs are a little on the soft side for road racing or autocross. Does anyone have any suggestions on what springs to get if I plan on doing a lot of racing and am not worried about how the car feels on the street. There was a post on spring rates a little while back and the Eibachs seem like they wouldn't be stiff enough. From what I can tell the stiffest springs available are the Suspension Techniques? I also plan on getting Koni SA's...Suggestions??
Old 12-19-2003 | 05:34 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

It's very hard to get stiff springs for an fbody. The problem is, it's a unit body so the manufactures don't want you to twist your car into a pretzil then blame them. I'm using cut down 1LE springs with Koni shocks; that makes a pretty stiff setup, but I wouldn't recomend it with out subframe connectors or a roll cage to stiffen the chassis. I have both.
Old 12-19-2003 | 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm running G2 Super Springs
580 front
160-220 rear

It rides rough, but this is the spring rate Lou Gigliotti had on his 4th gen when he won championships in World Challenge.
Old 12-19-2003 | 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the G2 springs can only be found used. and good luck finding them. Lou has had issues w/ getting them made cause they want him to buy like 250 sets @ a time. other than that, look into his coilover set-up. this is a no **** track set-up that you would be very happy w/.
Old 12-20-2003 | 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

H&R stage 2 (now called "sport springs"). I calculated 647 in lb front and 258 rear. Another board member said H&R quoted him 590 for the fronts a few years ago. Either they have changed or my math is slightly off (probably #2). They have a good bit of spring rate, you may want to try them. I like mine.
Old 12-22-2003 | 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OneHottLS1
Does anyone have any suggestions on what springs to get if I plan on doing a lot of racing and am not worried about how the car feels on the street.
Don't focus so much on "stiff" springs. If you're indeed planning on racing your car I'd recommend going with a coilover setup that allows you to adjust your spring rates as your needs change very easily. The Ground Control setup with front and rear springs for just over $400 from a place like Stranoparts is an excellent setup that I'm also using. This will allow you to lose some weight off the front end and make your ride height adjustable. As a matter of fact, there's no downside to something like the GC coilovers, other than they're just a little more expensive in the beginning.

If you decide not to get coilovers I think the G2 spring rates are just about right on for most road race setups, as long as you're running sway bars close to the 1LE setup. If you get coilovers I'd start with 600 lb/in on the front and get 175 lb/in in the rear.
Old 12-22-2003 | 10:11 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Is there such a thing as a best spring ? I believe it is a compromise at best . Shocks would be the biggest money maker here , I believe.

Trending Topics

Old 12-23-2003 | 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree with Roy. I'm running "lots of spring rate" or, "not much spring rate" depending on use and the person being asked. But, I'll take my Koni DA's anytime for settling the car and making things happen.
Old 02-20-2004 | 01:45 PM
Teching In

I've got the Hypercoil springs. They aren't made any more, but they are *very* similiar to the G2 springs in rates, with the exception that the fronts are a bit stiffer. Lou raced them himself until he developed the G2's.

Those along with the G2 sways and Koni SA's have really nailed down my suspension (tho it can be a bit punishing on the road).
Old 02-22-2004 | 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another vote for the ground control setup . I run 500 # fronts and 200 # rears with koni sa's and love the combo .
Old 02-25-2004 | 05:14 AM
Launching!

My Vette has 1,000 lb. front and 790 rear spring from Vette Brake Products I don't know if the make them for F-bodies.

Quick Reply: Best "race" springs?