Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

LS1 Miata - First Race at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Miata - First Race at Laguna Seca

Well, the bad news is that it's a short video...

http://www.vimeo.com/11412173

The good news is, the car is OK and will race again very soon!

I am starting 8th on grid in SCCA Group 1 behind some very fast cars. This is the very first race for this car after just two test days. I am doing well and having a ton of fun - just figuring out how to drive this beast - when the right rear hub shears off at the exit of turn 6. All of a sudden, my wheel is off the car and beside me!!

Luckily, it happens at a point where I'm able to easily keep the car on the pavement and under control so that I can skid to a stop by a corner worker, get out and enjoy the rest of the race.

I'll be back out there soon...

Dean
Old 05-02-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aww man bummer!! I brought my T1 car out today because I was bored

It was actually my first time at LS (apparently they don't like 108db ). 4 laps of qualifying and i started 23, finished 13th. Did the whole day on some crappy scrubs and after I learned the layout cruised around doing 44's (nothing special)
Old 05-02-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Oh, glad the hub failure wasn't any worse!! The attrition rate was pretty big today..by the end of the race there were 5 cars i can remember sitting on the side, and a couple more made contact and other spun (one of the Panoz in front of me at 6)
Old 05-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Launching!

that was awesome...made my night watching that.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

I was going to pick up my trailer over by T5 when (I assume this was you) a yellow vette did a hardship lap around lunch time on Sunday. I heard it well before I saw it. I thought an ALMS C5R had shown up! Man, than thing really sounds robust!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Yup, that was me Thanks! LG header system...WIDE OPEN!! I need to call around to Dynatech and Burns Stainless today and see what decibel reduction they can guarantee

I had so many people coming to ask how I was passing sound! talk about a nice quiet weekend when the 'other' miatas put there mufflers back on though!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wanted to watch this video since i was at work, but those jokers block everything. i had to wait till right now!

bad *** footage, the motor sounds nice and good driving. keep it up!

by the way i checked out some of your spec miata videos, good stuff man! i need to get into something like that, maybe i can afford it.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Most expensive part of SM is initially buying the car. Motors (i think) are pretty reliable/bullet proof, but can get very expensive as well
Old 05-12-2010, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

My spec miata race motor cost 3 times what my LS1 cost. Of course, that's not what you NEED to spend, but to run up front, it's pretty much required.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

very cool video.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Awesome video, thanks for posting. It's nice to see some clean racing.
Good luck, car sounds great too!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Great vid, sucks about the hub failure you were just getting in a good groove with some open track in front of you.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
good stuff man! i need to get into something like that, maybe i can afford it.

Originally Posted by dtfastbear
Well, the bad news is that it's a short video...

http://www.vimeo.com/11412173

The good news is, the car is OK and will race again very soon!

I am starting 8th on grid in SCCA Group 1 behind some very fast cars. This is the very first race for this car after just two test days. I am doing well and having a ton of fun - just figuring out how to drive this beast - when the right rear hub shears off at the exit of turn 6. All of a sudden, my wheel is off the car and beside me!!

Luckily, it happens at a point where I'm able to easily keep the car on the pavement and under control so that I can skid to a stop by a corner worker, get out and enjoy the rest of the race.

I'll be back out there soon...

Dean
So was that an Avanti in front of you?

Wow ... you really have to throttle it easy from corner off. What a handfull!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome video!!!!! That looks like so much fun, exactly what I would love to do some day!
Old 06-05-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mitchntx

So was that an Avanti in front of you?

Wow ... you really have to throttle it easy from corner off. What a handfull!
From Mylaps:
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1478808
Old 06-05-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah ... P1800
Old 06-05-2010, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

That Volvo is totally badass. Only 2 liters??? But full slicks. He was definitely faster in the slower turns where mechanical grip is everything - like T2-T5.

I had the car set up poorly for this event - too stiff on the rear swaybar and too much negative camber in back. I'll have it dialed in better for the next event.

I just installed much beefier hubs from V8Roadsters today. They are REALLY stout looking and will be standard issue for all new V8R kits with the stronger axle kits.

I'm really looking forward to getting back on the track.

Cheers,

Dean
Old 06-07-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dtfastbear

I just installed much beefier hubs from V8Roadsters today. They are REALLY stout looking and will be standard issue for all new V8R kits with the stronger axle kits.

Dean

What actually broke? Did the hub to splined shaft locking nut first come loose? Did the end of the outer CV splined shaft twist off? Did the hub bearing first fail?

What does beafier hub mean? Do they sell a complete replacement hub assembly pre-mounted to the stock miata spindle housing?

If you continue to have trouble, I can help if wanted.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

The "plate" part of the hub actually spun off the "shaft" part of the hub. Here's a picture:

The new V8Roadsters hub (picture below) has a significantly thicker plate portion and the interface between the plate and shaft portion is also thicker at the intersection. I don't have a picture of the entire hub that sheared to show the difference, unfortunately.

On the stock (and previous v8r) hubs, the wheels studs sat on the face of the plate. As you can see in the picture above, the head of the stud is reccessed - that shows the extra thickness of the plate.

The bearings were in fine shape. And, the axle nut was still torqued to spec. I mentioned in another thread that I believe I contributed to this failure by running the car on a chassis dyno without the axle nut properly tightened/torqued. It wouldn't surprise me if there was some wobble in the hub and that weakened it right off the bat.

I don't know for sure, but I believe the material used in this version of the hub is stronger than what was used in the first generation of hubs, as well. The hub comes just as it is shown in my hand. It uses stock miata bearings (which I repack with better grease) which I pressed into the upright, then pressed in the new hub.

I'll report back on how things go.

Cheers,

Dean
Old 06-07-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yah, WOW; that's a nice looking hub. Thanks for the pic. Amazing that the face plate (stud plate) actually sheared off of the stock one. As you said, had to be weakened by the loose nut on the dyno &/or the over agressive camber on a ridgid sway bar that you noted. I have twisted off stock Cobra half shafts without anything like that (hub face plate shearing off) happening. Wow, thankfully you (or anyone else) weren't hurt.

EDIT:
If it helps, you can buy stock or even longer (I use longer) Camaro hub studs for much less than the cost of stock Miata hub studs & the threads are the same. Summit, Jegs..etc. sell them.

Last edited by LS1-450; 06-07-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: added stud info.

Quick Reply: LS1 Miata - First Race at Laguna Seca