Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Video - 5/14&15/11 Motorsport Ranch Cresson TX CW

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Video - 5/14&15/11 Motorsport Ranch Cresson TX CW

3rd time at the track, 1st time in Blue run group (2nd level of 4). Received my solo signoff on Sunday mornng and ran the last 2 sessions solo... Had a blast . Was much easier to concentrate on the track without trying to digest information coming in your ear all the time. Flip side of the coin is I'm sure its easier to develop bad habits as well so I don't plan on making a habit of running solo. Besides, the solo endorsement is only good for this track, this direction. I'm sure next time we'll be running a different configuration so I'll have an instructor anyway. Progress regardless though... and I'm having fun!

This was also the first weekend on suspension mods. Previous 2 outings were on stock suspension/stock wheels and tires. Mods this time were UMI adjustable rear LCA's, UMI adjustable torque arm with transmission mount relocation kit, Fays2 Watts link, Strano sway bars front and rear. Wheels are now 18x9.5 SSR GT-10s. Tires are 275/35R18 Nitto NT555s. Afterwards my tires looked incredibly better than my stockers did after my earlier track weekends.

Oh... springs, shocks & C6 front brake upgrade parts are sitting in the garage... just ran out of time before this weekend to install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erFAeLx5DTs
Old 05-18-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

That looked good, better than my first time on the 1.7 counter clockwise solo. That is my least favorite configuration at MSR - Cresson. I never got good at those 2 turns before Rattlesnake. I also had a blast the 1st time without an instructor but it was the 3.1 Clockwise, which is the best configuration IMO.

You should try TWS next. It is better for our cars and faster.

I hope to get back to HPDEs this fall.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
That looked good, better than my first time on the 1.7 counter clockwise solo. That is my least favorite configuration at MSR - Cresson. I never got good at those 2 turns before Rattlesnake. I also had a blast the 1st time without an instructor but it was the 3.1 Clockwise, which is the best configuration IMO.

You should try TWS next. It is better for our cars and faster.

I hope to get back to HPDEs this fall.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm chomping at the bit to run the 3.1 and TWS!

Mark
Old 05-19-2011, 02:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark, you gotta get a seat and harness. It changes everything.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Default I know!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Ha! I was wondering if anyone would mention that! I thought this would be a good promo for why a seat is a good idea. Sorta funny to watch really... especially through Rattlesnake. You can even see me using my leg against the console.

Mark.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

And you probably don't realize how much of your upper body and arms you are using to hold yourself in place.

I know I didn't till I drove the Caddy on track w/o the seat and harness my race car has.

You lose so much feel and are unable to finesse the car. It's more of a wrestling match without a seat and harness.

night and day difference.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Default I agree...

Completely agree with you Mitch. Although I haven't driven with one, I've ridden along in a Vette in the Red Run group that had a racing seat... was quite impressive to sit with my hands in my lap and not have to worry about it.

I plan to get a seat one of these days... two of them actually. Can't wait to feel the difference. I've made a conscious decision to do other things first though.

See you soon!
Mark.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I noticed the same thing. It will drop seconds off your lap time and you won't be sore the next day.
Don't do other things unless it is safety related, IMHO. Or just buy Mitch's car.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

Mark your my hero! Just kidding, but great vid. It was kool watching you hit those corners then blast out on to the straight away to pass a Evo 10 and what looked to be a BMW of some sort. Im hoping to make my first track appearance at the end of summer at Willowsprings.

Quick Reply: Video - 5/14&15/11 Motorsport Ranch Cresson TX CW