Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

From 25.5 drag car to road race. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default From 25.5 drag car to road race. Help please.

I picked up a 99 V6 Camaro hardtop. It already has a 25.5 chromoly cage in it. As well as a 9" rearend and Strange drag brakes front and rear. Strange coilovers in front and Afco coilovers in the rear. I'm not sure what brand the K member is, but I'll probably need to change that out as well. Also has aftermarket upper and lower a-arms. Subframe connectors are welded in also.

I'm just looking to build a car for HPDE. Can I revalve the coilovers? I want to use 17" wheels since the tire cost is less. What would you all recommend for brakes? I'm going to try and get a 6 speed out of a GTO since it has the same ratios as the C5 Z06's. The engine I'm thinking about building would be a 4.155 bore ERL dry sleeved LS2 block with a 4.8L truck crank. 355" motor with LS3 heads and a new Holley intake.

Here's how it sits now:

Last edited by TurboAv; 08-22-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If that is a certified roller I would sell it for a good amount of money, buy a roller, and get it setup for HPDE.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't had the cage inspected and certified yet. That being said, I don't see a problem with it passing. I really don't want to start over. I got a screaming deal on it and the amount of money in labor to get another car where this one is at would be more than I have in this whole car. Plus I like the idea that if I get bored with turning corners it wouldn't take much to go back to a drag setup.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboAv
I haven't had the cage inspected and certified yet. That being said, I don't see a problem with it passing. I really don't want to start over. I got a screaming deal on it and the amount of money in labor to get another car where this one is at would be more than I have in this whole car. Plus I like the idea that if I get bored with turning corners it wouldn't take much to go back to a drag setup.
SELL that car, buy you a car already done.

There is a LT1 six speed HPDE car on FRRAX.COM for $4000

The amount of money its gonna take to convert that car over is gonna hurt your wallet, I did the cost run on the car in my sig to swap it over, it was crazy.....about 9 grand. And I had a roll bar I could use.

Your shocks, K member, Cage, Springs, brakes, put ABS back on the car, put the six speed pedals ets in, ecm, wheels, tires and wiring all have to be changed, you dont need that 9 inch or the minitub.....and the list goes on.

And BTW, you damn sure aint gonna get bored on a road course, the precision it takes to put together ONE perfect lap is off the charts. Takes one day of 4 sessions to get 1 or 2 corners down pat at ONE track. You may get discouraged and quit because you get tired of Miatas passing you, but you aint gonna get bored.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright... take a look at my NASA ST2 build thread. Compare the two cages and you'll get an idea of the differences in a road course cage and a drag cage. They are pretty different. However the basics of the two cages are the same. The cage from the main hoop forward is fine once you remove the driver's "halo". From the main hoop back is just crazy haha. For the most part you're going to have to remove and cap off a lot of bars. The door bars look to be very close to the driver and may decrease mobility. The rear half is so intricate I would almost just leave it alone.

Is the 9 inch stock width? Are the axles gun drilled with a star flange or solid? Shocks and struts can be re-valved and should be. I'm not an expert in bound and rebound so you'd have to talk to your shock builder about what you want to do and the spring rates you're going to run; which should be near 600 front and 400 rear with true coilovers. As far as the a-arms go you want to dial in a good amount of front camber; 2* is a good place to start and just watch tire wear to see where you want to go from there.

That being said you'll probably spend more money converting the car than if you where to sell it and buy one already done. In my opinion it's easier to turn a road course car into a drag car than vise-versa.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Narrowed rear, 35 spline, gun drilled, and star flanged. I don't plan on doing much with the cage since I'm just planning on HPDE and Time Attack. There are no rules for the cage to follow. Just classes per your HP and weight. I found the Strano website and registered on FRRAX.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

I understand what you want to do. However; speaking to you as an instructor with NASA, I'm not getting in that car with a cage sitting next to my entire upper body like that. In order to do an HPDE you must have an instructor and in most regions your instructor will tech your car. Meaning it's up to them if they want to get in the car. We HATE turning down a student, but if it's not safe for us, we're not getting in. While the halo helps you, it's probably going to be what injures your instructor incase the worst happens. I have seen cars flip in HPDE 1. Remember, **** happens. There aren't any rules for cages in HPDE or TT. That said, if you read the CCR on the NASA website it will give you the rules you have to follow if a HPDE or TT car does have a cage. Basically, you don't HAVE to have a cage in HPDE or TT but if you do, there are rules you have to follow to make sure it's safe.

The star flanged rear axles are prone to snap with the high side loads you get on road courses. Gun drilling is fine. You can overcome the narrowed rear with the back spacing on your wheels to bring the rear track back out.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

I were in your shoe,I would sell.Buy another vette or FBody car
Old 08-01-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just figured out the front K-member, upper/lower a-arms, 2" drop spindles are all the chromoly "race" Racecraft stuff with rod ends on the arms. The rear lower control arms and torque arm are BMR Extreme adjustable arms. I can change out the axles. No big deal. I will make sure it's safe for a passenger. I'm pretty much set on going down this path.

How wide of a tire can be fit up front? I would prefer to run 17" tires and the same size front and back to be able to rotate.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:46 AM
TECH Addict

its easier to find used race tires in 18 then 17, if you want to go that route. its much cheaper and you get better tires, albeit used. 275s fit no problem. with the right offset, you can fit 315s in the front. conversely, you may need a spacer and longer studs if you cant find the right offset wheels.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

That cage is definitely scary when it comes to HPDE/TT/road racing applications..and overall as others have said, the car requires a lot of work. New shocks, new springs, new brakes (C6, CTSV, 5th gen SS, Wilwood..take your pick), new wheels (cheapest option is getting 4 rear- 18x10.5 C5ZO6 wheels). Call Racecraft and ask them about use for road racing. A lot of parts are suitable for drag racing, but cannot crossover to road racing because they cannot take the constant abuse..
Old 08-03-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I called Racecraft and they said what is on the car now is for drag racing only. I think the easiest thing to do would be put a six speed back in my GTO and use the TH400 for the Camaro. Then coilovers for the GTO and use that as my HPDE car.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

I agree...and would probably swap motors too.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
I agree...and would probably swap motors too.
Yup. I will probably build the LS2 block I have with a 4" crank. Since the GTO is heavier, it could use the extra cubes. One of the local guys is swapping his six speed out of his 04 GTO for a 4L80E, so I'm going to try and pick that up from him if we can reach an agreement on price. Then just put my ironblock motor in the Camaro with the twin TC76's I have sitting on the shelf. I'll just need to open the ring gaps up a little. They are only gapped for moderate nitrous/boost right now.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you're all set then I've always wanted to drive one of the 05-06 GTOs on a track, besides being heavy and small tired, they seem like they're well balanced.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

just an FYI, GTOs are very heavy, especially nose heavy. they dont handle well on a track. it takes alot of suspension work to really make them stick. stock/stock, or even shocks/stock, it wont hang with an f-body. nonetheless, you can still learn and enjoy the time. just be prepared for alot of pushing.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know a guy with a stripped down 04 GTO that does pretty darn well. He's running 275's on all four corners.

[youtube]<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EShMLIiolWo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&versi on=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EShMLIiolWo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&versi on=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Old 08-06-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurboAv
I know a guy with a stripped down 04 GTO that does pretty darn well. He's running 275's on all four corners.
yes, and you said it yourself; its stripped down. im sure it weighs hundreds of pounds less then stock. drop that much weight from anything and itll run well. i can only imagine how well my TA would do if i gut the hell out of it, but im never going to do that.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine weighs 3830 with no instructor in the car, It does pretty well.

You can go fast in a GTO, look at later model Cobras and Shelbys their heavy and do well. Just harder on tires and brakes.

I remember seeing a Crown Vic rental car on track at Barber, he passed his share of high dollar cars that day.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

uh huh, and you have no idea how many vettes, a new 5.0 mustang, a roush stage 3, audi R8, and porsche boxter i passed at the last track day at NJMP, put out by east coast supercharging. its 90% driver

Quick Reply: From 25.5 drag car to road race. Help please.