Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

First attempt at Autocross, Holley LS Fest

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default First attempt at Autocross, Holley LS Fest

I had a lot of fun, I could see myself getting into this over drag racing. My first run was pretty bad. I ran a total of 4 times and every time I got faster. I did not see the times on my 4th run so I will have to see the results on the LS Fest web site. My 3rd run was 48.8 sec run, everyone said my 4th looked faster so I will have to wait and see.

The mods on my car are

UMI solid sway bars, urethane mounts, and end links
Cut stock springs, about 3/4 coil off
UMI sub frame conectors
Adjustable UMI panhard par urethane mounts
Boxed in stock rear LCA's with urethane mounts
Stock shocks, only 27K miles on them
UMI tunnel brace

I think the 17X11 ZR1's in the back helped some too.

Thats about it, I can see where this would be very adictive..

These were from my 2nd run, I have not uploaded the 3rd and 4th yet.

Was told I had one of the best sounding cars out there too...GMMG...

Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, way more fun than drag racing. I did it for the first time at F-body Beach Bash, wish I could have went to LS Fest this year to do their autox.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like fun, ill be autoxing my ta for the first time this coming weekend (ive been autoocrossing for about 7 years now). Just curious, why do you hold the shift **** overland over for the longest time? Possibly just habit?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That does look pretty awesome. They hold an Auto-X event across the street from my house almost weekly. This has me wanting to give it a shot, even though I have an A4 it still might be fun.

Also, your car is so clean and that GMMG does sound pretty amazing.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
That does look pretty awesome. They hold an Auto-X event across the street from my house almost weekly. This has me wanting to give it a shot, even though I have an A4 it still might be fun.

Also, your car is so clean and that GMMG does sound pretty amazing.
If the course is somewhat tight then the automatic does great, just leave it in first. The autox I did was tight enough I didn't get anywhere near the limiter.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ElGuapoK20
Looks like fun, ill be autoxing my ta for the first time this coming weekend (ive been autoocrossing for about 7 years now). Just curious, why do you hold the shift **** overland over for the longest time? Possibly just habit?
I did not realize I was doing that until I watched the video LOL

I guess thats how you learn what to do and what not to do. The first run I shifted into second out of the hole, I realized I needed to leave it in first and only shift to second in the back straight. I missed 2nd gear on my second run.

Then on my 3rd I realized that my left foot was planted to the floor board, to stabilize myself in the car, I mean I was pushing so hard its a wonder my foot was not hanging out the bottom of the car, I remember thinking remove foot from floor, put foot on clutch...LOL

I made this video last night it has all 4 runs, my 4th seemed faster but I will have to wait and see what it was on the website.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Haha alright. Ya i remember my first Autocross my adrenaline was going like crazy its such a rush, I've gotten used to it since then. Once you have more drive time you start seeing things happening a lot slower. How do you think it was staying in first? I thought someone told me the Corvette drivers just stay in second and in some cases just take off in second gear to keep the wheel spin down I presume. And we have enough torque you may not have to rev it out in first. What were most people doing at this event?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

I've been autocrossing since 2005. Smoother, and slow, is faster. Thus, less entertainment runs that look boring tend to be the faster - so just becasue someone says it looks fast doesn't mean it is. Work on smooth throttle & steering inputs.

Tires and Seattime are your two best mods...I suggest seat time first. If you can learn to be quick and smooth on bad tires, you will be awesome on R-comps. If the tires are singing back to you, open the wheel up some - add throttle when possible. Break early, and try not to unsettle the suspension too much - the car can only do so much at once.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
I've been autocrossing since 2005. Smoother, and slow, is faster. Thus, less entertainment runs that look boring tend to be the faster - so just becasue someone says it looks fast doesn't mean it is. Work on smooth throttle & steering inputs.

Tires and Seattime are your two best mods...I suggest seat time first. If you can learn to be quick and smooth on bad tires, you will be awesome on R-comps. If the tires are singing back to you, open the wheel up some - add throttle when possible. Break early, and try not to unsettle the suspension too much - the car can only do so much at once.
Thanks for the input, I feel I learned a lot in just the 4 times I ran the car.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ElGuapoK20
Haha alright. Ya i remember my first Autocross my adrenaline was going like crazy its such a rush, I've gotten used to it since then. Once you have more drive time you start seeing things happening a lot slower. How do you think it was staying in first? I thought someone told me the Corvette drivers just stay in second and in some cases just take off in second gear to keep the wheel spin down I presume. And we have enough torque you may not have to rev it out in first. What were most people doing at this event?
Not really sure, the only other guy I talked to running a 4th gen had an auto. I talked to a guy with a 69 Camaro, this car was a full blown autocross car, he had a Mast Motorsports 427 with a T56 and 4.10 gears. He left his car in second, but he also had 690 HP. I have a 3.90 gear in my car, second just did not seem right, almost like it was bogging down. 4.10 may be a better gear ratio to have I dont know. It was a pretty tight course.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Thanks for the input, I feel I learned a lot in just the 4 times I ran the car.
Start doing an event every month. Bring a clip board with you and make a few notes after every pass. Start logging tire pressures too. Chalk your tire and look to see how much the tire is roling over. Get one of the advanced guys to ride with you. Walk the course till you can do it in your head with your eyes closed. NEVER pass up the novice walk through - I still do it (least last event I went to...been a while though.)

Don't worry about wanting to do mods - I realize this is hard, but I see guys spend thousands and all they really needed was more time behind the wheel.

Start thinking is terms of weight transfer and the physics behind what makes the car stop, accelerate, and rotate. Once you understand the physics, you can fine tune your driving. You are lucky to start with the LS1 - the low end torque means little need to shift vs. say, a miata.

Next time out, run the course tight...if the tires start scrubbing, open the wheel up to prevent. (Can't open the wheel up if you are running wide). As for braking, I often like to left foot brake and make the ABS kick in. Off the brake, turn the wheel, and roll into the throttle.

Your car's weekensses will start to show after 3-5 events. Tires will shave off more time than anything after experience, but again, learn to drive first...I've see some amazing drivers do amazing things in crappy cars.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Also, Look ahead! On sweepers, I want you looking out the side window, not the windshield. Flip up the rear view mirror so you dont look back to see if you hit a cone - you look back and you won't be looking ahead. Always thing ahead...your exit point on a turn is dictated by the apex for the next cone - thus you need to know where you need to be and the appropriate speeds that it can be done. Apexing is key.

Another thing to try....put cone around your car (say an empty parking lot) to see how wide your car really is. Try placing the cones just 3-4 inces out and start driving through them at speed. Knowing the width of your car helps a lot. A lot of guys leave FEET from the actual line on a slolam....you want inches and occassionally hit a cone (lets you know you are pushing it). The best is when you can run over the corner of the cone with your rear tire and not knock it over....I've done that twice and it's gratifying.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
Also, Look ahead! On sweepers, I want you looking out the side window, not the windshield. Flip up the rear view mirror so you dont look back to see if you hit a cone - you look back and you won't be looking ahead. Always thing ahead...your exit point on a turn is dictated by the apex for the next cone - thus you need to know where you need to be and the appropriate speeds that it can be done. Apexing is key.

Another thing to try....put cone around your car (say an empty parking lot) to see how wide your car really is. Try placing the cones just 3-4 inces out and start driving through them at speed. Knowing the width of your car helps a lot. A lot of guys leave FEET from the actual line on a slolam....you want inches and occassionally hit a cone (lets you know you are pushing it). The best is when you can run over the corner of the cone with your rear tire and not knock it over....I've done that twice and it's gratifying.
Awesome, thanks. I will be using all your tips the next time I go out. I found an event next month at the UPS hub parking lot here in Louisville. I am going to plan on making that event. I think if you watch my 3rd run the tires were scrubbing pretty bad in the rirst turn. I could feel the car plowing through the turn. I dont think that I ever looked at the rear view mirror though..LOL
Old 09-11-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

Do every event you can, listen, learn, and don't get cocky. Have fun. Ask one of the experienced guys that will be runnign in a different session to ride with you - a rider can offer tips and show you the correct lines, if you are off. Learning car control and the line and appexes is the majority of the learning curve.

Once you do a track day, you will realize how boring (in comparison) autocross is to the fast stuff.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

^ +1,000,000,000,000

I just started auto-x'ing this year. These are all the words of wisdom from the regular and fast guys. I got to ride with them and I had them ride with me. I'm trying to do as many events as time allows.

Seat time is best...but remember "practice makes permanent, not perfect"

The last course I ran had a lot of sweepers and I found myself struggling at first...the bit about driving ahead is really critical.

Quick Reply: First attempt at Autocross, Holley LS Fest