Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Anyone using aftermarket Paddle Shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone using aftermarket Paddle Shifters?

I'm looking for feedback on who's using aftermarket and want to know what you like and don't like about them!

Planning one for my car and seeing what the very latest pros/cons are

thanks!
Old 06-26-2017, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

IIRC, there was somebody on here running a 4L80 w/ a TCI controller and paddle shifters, or maybe it was on the facebook group...
Old 06-27-2017, 06:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WarShrike
IIRC, there was somebody on here running a 4L80 w/ a TCI controller and paddle shifters, or maybe it was on the facebook group...
Yeah I think I know who you mean- a few months ago a guy in CA with a TCI controller & 4L80 posted a vid of himself autocrossing on facebook. I haven't seen anything else from him since.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I gotta ask, why go through all the trouble of adapting paddle shifters and a trans controller - only to be stuck with a GM 4L60 or 4L80 trans? They rob power, are heavy, and can't be downshifted properly on a race track. Also, from what I've seen the upshifts aren't exactly the quickest.

Paddle shift only works well in a modern dual clutch automatic. Now, adapting one of those would be super cool and perform awesome on track.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Look at the current Z06, they work quite well w/ an auto and a torque converter.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
I gotta ask, why go through all the trouble of adapting paddle shifters and a trans controller - only to be stuck with a GM 4L60 or 4L80 trans? They rob power, are heavy, and can't be downshifted properly on a race track. Also, from what I've seen the upshifts aren't exactly the quickest.

Paddle shift only works well in a modern dual clutch automatic. Now, adapting one of those would be super cool and perform awesome on track.
As my build is coming closer, I'm putting feelers out there again to see what people are doing, if there's anything new/developments or issues I should be aware of. Here- my fellow canyon carvers actually drive the cars & equipment hard, which is what I'm going to continue to do and I can generally get useful feedback.

My plan is a bit different than just putting a few aftermarket parts together and hoping for the best. We're modifying and engineering some of the stuff to suit my goals.
The trans is going to be a beefed 6L80E with a controller that is already proven to work very well with it (not TCI). Obviously the 6 vs 4 speed advantage. With some trick valve body modification and programming I'm going to have very tight and fast up and downshifts.

I know the dual clutch system works extremely well and I got spoiled by it firsthand lol. But that is the bar I set. How close can I get?
Old 06-28-2017, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have not heard from me because I've been very busy with life and work... and I'm having a fueling issue with my car atm. I am in love with my paddle shift setup though. Shift speeds are very quick, especially when performance mode is selected. There is only 1 slow shift 2-3 but its not terribly slow. 1-2 and 3-4 shifts are very fast, they'll shift before I can release the paddle. Really the only downside from the TCI setup is sometimes the system will loose wireless signal as the paddle shift is setup as a wireless system. Down shifts work very different than using the shift lever. Using the shift lever will engage the overrun clutches and forces the engine to match speed with wheel speed... which is not good for transmission either. Using the shifts via the paddles will only shift electronically and not engage overrun clutches allowing the engine to free spin if RPM is lower than wheel speed after new gearing ratio. For example, If I'm at freeway speeds and off throttle then downshift, engine will go freespin until i press gas and then once RPM match wheel speed with new gear ratio it will "grab" and accelerate in that selected gear. Another example for racing is that while braking before a corner i can select proper corner gear without upsetting anything and accelerate in corner with my selected gear. If I ever get the cash I'd love to drop in the TCI 6X transmission but that is super expensive, good thing is that everything i have is already setup for it.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

On most street cars as long as your going in a straight line they work fine, if you need to do corners, and your wheel turns more than 1/4 turn like a indy car they are kinda useless.

Look at any WRC rally car,, no paddle shifters.. If they use sequential boxes but need to turn the wheel they mount a push pull slap lever on a bar just to the right of the wheel.

One setup a buddy did that was kinda cool, he had a 360 ring on the back of the steering wheel for up shifts, and a smaller ring not eh front of the wheel (Replaced the horn) for downshifts with either thumb ,, so no matter where the wheel is turned he can up or downshift with either hand in any position..
Old 06-28-2017, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
On most street cars as long as your going in a straight line they work fine, if you need to do corners, and your wheel turns more than 1/4 turn like a indy car they are kinda useless.

Look at any WRC rally car,, no paddle shifters.. If they use sequential boxes but need to turn the wheel they mount a push pull slap lever on a bar just to the right of the wheel.

One setup a buddy did that was kinda cool, he had a 360 ring on the back of the steering wheel for up shifts, and a smaller ring not eh front of the wheel (Replaced the horn) for downshifts with either thumb ,, so no matter where the wheel is turned he can up or downshift with either hand in any position..

My solution is relatively simple in concept but we're working on it. Going to attach extended length paddles ( similar to the ferrari paddle upgrade) to the rear of the steering wheel and also going with a quick ratio power steering rack.
I don't want to not to be able to shift up or down and get my hands all out of sorts while turning- especially at near triple-digit speeds on the track!
Old 07-03-2017, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Because I don't have an auto in my race car, I'll ask this question. Do you really want to shift in the middle of a hard turn? With a manual transmission, the answer is, "no".
Old 07-05-2017, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by .boB
Because I don't have an auto in my race car, I'll ask this question. Do you really want to shift in the middle of a hard turn? With a manual transmission, the answer is, "no".
Downshifting- not so much especially a during hard turn, but during deep braking just before the wheel's turned (T5 Road America). Upshifting- yes I want to have have an unobstructed ability to do so. I've tracked with 6 and 7 speed paddles and I've found myself (up) shifting while tracking out of corners.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

OK, I can see that; you're not really "deep" in the corner. Especially the downshifting.

Quick Reply: Anyone using aftermarket Paddle Shifters?