Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Want to RR need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006 | 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Want to RR need advice

I'm really interested in doing some RR, mostly for fun, and see how it goes. I'm curious what I "should" change if anything? I need new rims what are better 17's or 18's? This is a list of everything done so far!

Brakes:
-Baer Eradispeed Rotors
-Hawk HPS Pads

Transmission:
-SPEC Stage 3 Clutch Kit
-SPEC Billet Flywheel
-01 Slave and Master Cylinder
-Pro5.0 shifter
-Lou's Quick Stick
-Skip-Shift Eliminator

Exhaust:
-Borla Adjustable Cat-Back

Suspension:
-Eibach Pro Kit Springs (front & rear)
-Bilstein Shocks (front & rear)
-Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace
-Hotchkis Pan-Hard bar
-Umi Sub Frame Connectors
-Umi Lower Control Arms

Induction:
-MTI Cold-air Induction Air Box
-Holley Power Shot Filter
-Granatelli Ported MAF
-SLP Straight Air Bellow

Ignition:
-Taylor Thundervolts 10.4mm Wires

Thanks in advance
Old 02-10-2006 | 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

If your looking to road race, as of right now all your car needs are brake pads, good rotros (not eradispeeds), and flush the brake system with new fluid. Pointless to throw parts at the car if you cant drive it as it sits, adding more power with no experience on the road course is just asking for it.
Old 02-10-2006 | 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

what brakes? Is the suspensions set up is ok?
Old 02-10-2006 | 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

where did you take that picture at with the B-52? smokeshow
Old 02-10-2006 | 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Andersen AFB, Guam
Old 02-11-2006 | 02:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SmokeShow99SS
what brakes? Is the suspensions set up is ok?
For brakes, carbotech makes good pads, and I think they still have a speacial going where you can get pads and rotors in a package. The stock suspension will work good enough for now. After a couple events youll be able to tell what you need the most. Money is better spent on track time than parts anyways.
Old 02-11-2006 | 03:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

cool whats better 17 or 18 inch rims?
Old 02-11-2006 | 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

mostly for fun, and see how it goes.

I'm curious what I "should" change if anything?

Brakes:
-Baer Eradispeed Rotors
-Hawk HPS Pads

Thanks in advance
Cheap rotors and very good pads. Wagner brand has worked well for me this past rear.

Carbotech XP10s are a very good road racing pad. But are not good for the street.

I need new rims what are better 17's or 18's?
Check out the prices for road racing rubber and I bet that will answer your question for you.

Transmission:
-SPEC Stage 3 Clutch Kit
-SPEC Billet Flywheel
-01 Slave and Master Cylinder
-Pro5.0 shifter
-Lou's Quick Stick
-Skip-Shift Eliminator
I see no issue here, except for the short stick. Having to reach for the shifter when doing a 5-4-3 downshift can easily make it a 5-2 downshift, especially when you are entering a right hand turn. It's all about momentum ... on the track and in the cockpit.

Suspension:
-Eibach Pro Kit Springs (front & rear)
-Bilstein Shocks (front & rear)
-Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace
-Hotchkis Pan-Hard bar
-Umi Sub Frame Connectors
-Umi Lower Control Arms
Your spring rates suck.
STB is useless weight on the nose of the car

I do like my UMI parts, although I have yet to get any track time ... yet.

Induction:
-MTI Cold-air Induction Air Box
-Holley Power Shot Filter
-Granatelli Ported MAF
-SLP Straight Air Bellow
Makes big power ... runs the car lean in some cases. 30 minutes on track is a LONG time running a lean motor.

Deciding to go road racing is not something you "decide" ... you commit.

And the way you have modified your car, it will classify you into an extremely competitive group.

The best thing is to hook up with some local HPDE (High Performance Driver's Education) events. Get some seat time and take the driver out of the equation.

If you have never been on a road course, in stock form, your car is a lot better than your are as a driver. It's the simple truth.

You have to remember, when you are on a road course, your mistake can cause a LOT of other cars damage.

Drive smart.
Old 02-11-2006 | 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

See most of the stuff on the car was on it when i bought it, so I'm trying to swap it out and I'm not made of money so i want the "right" stuff if there is such a thing. Thanks for all the feed back. I'll finally be in the states come Jul and I'll have to try and see if i really like it. Just the thought make me nervious. Going straight is easy it's those damn curve that make it tricky
Old 02-11-2006 | 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Agree with mitchntx on the brakes, however, after that I would just do the shocks and maybe a second wheels and track tries. They should be short lived front running DOT SCCA racing tires. Something a little longer wearing. Check the reviews on tirerack.

Don't spend your money on the car now. Spend it on the track.

If you have an extra $3500, go to one Skip Barber, Bondurant, or one of the other schools. It may be the best money you spent. It could save you a lot of money on car damage your first couple of times on the track. The skills you learn will earn you a lot more respect when you get out on the track.
Old 02-11-2006 | 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie
20 Year Member

Get a good alignment (camber plates up front), better brake pads, and the best tires you can afford.

Toyo RA-1's and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires are R-compound tires you can drive on the street with (don't get caught in the rain with them). Mine lasted over 5K miles which is pretty good! If you can't afford a set of rims with dedicated road race tires then the above tires are about the next best choice. Bridestone S-03, BFG KD's and a few other tires are good choices as well for a real street radial but won't be as good as an R-compound or true slick.

If this is your first time slowly ramp up your entry/exit speed into corners and follow others ahead of you to figure out the "lines." I would suggest having an instructor go out with you as they can be a great help.
Old 02-12-2006 | 02:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

sweet!!! I wife already told she's sending when we get to the states. I have to get some new rims reguardless cause 2 of mine now are bent bad, Damn Guam roads! I'm thinking about getting a used set of ZR-1's for now then getting some 18's when i have the cash, and using the ZR-1's as track tires. I have the BFG KD's now so at least i can still use them. I'm getting stationed in Norcal what good RR school are near there?

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!
Old 02-12-2006 | 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

4th gens don't use camber plates. However, 3rd gens do.

And I will tke exception to the use of R compounds on a car driven by a newb.

Street tires will give the driver several avenues of fedback. They will "skip" acroos the track when it pushes and they will "yell" when pushed ... both WAY before they give up altogether.

R compounds typically don't give a lot of feedback before they lose grip altogether.
Old 02-12-2006 | 09:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
4th gens don't use camber plates. However, 3rd gens do.

And I will tke exception to the use of R compounds on a car driven by a newb.

Street tires will give the driver several avenues of fedback. They will "skip" acroos the track when it pushes and they will "yell" when pushed ... both WAY before they give up altogether.

R compounds typically don't give a lot of feedback before they lose grip altogether.
I agree. Save the R compounds for after you gain experience. I actually did about my first 12 track days on street tires. You learn a lot. Then you get to the point where you overpower them, then switch to R compounds.
Old 02-13-2006 | 03:11 AM
TECH Junkie
20 Year Member

If you are going to be stationed in NorCal check out GreenFlag, NASProRacing, SCCA etc. Do some HPDE days (hi perf driver education).

Thunderhill and Infineon (Sears Point) including Laguna Seca will be the main tracks you run at. Thunderhill has a long front straight.... Infineon is pretty technical and then the legendary Laguna Seca course. Even amateur road racing can get pricey quickly. $179 for a single day not including gas, food, lodging, anything you break/wear and tear etc.

Start saving for brakes... you will need them. Maybe you should look at 1LE option brakes.