Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Cars for Road Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:04 PM
LC
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cars for Road Racing

My main car "2000 Z28 HardTop" has been becoming a full drag racer... but i always have liked the road racing stuff... i have been trying to do some with the camaro, but has not been really "good"..

Basically i'm looking for suggestions on cars goods for this at a amateur level, no professional events or anything like that..

The car should be able to "eat" a LS1/t56 combo..

I was thinking about a 93/97 camaro, but just saw the Porsche 944 thread here and kinda liked the car... i guess IRS > Axle..

Thanks for any input...
Old 03-01-2006, 04:12 AM
Teching In

I plan on picking up a 944 in the next couple of months and the SCCA 944 spec class a try. The 944 handle great and can be had for cheap. I still plan on doing some track days with the Z but I still want to be able to use it as a daily driver in the summer, the 944 will be a dedicated track car.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:10 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power delivery wise, it takes a lot to "eat" a properly setup LS1/T56 combo, so, prepare to be disappointed in a Miata or 944. But, that said, a Miata or a 944 or a 3rd gen F-bod or an LT1 4th gen are all excellent ways of getting into road racing on a budget (the latter 2 being higher on the HP delivery of course).

Up until only a short while ago, all I thought about was HP, HP, HP, HP, HP. When I went to see the Rolex Daytona 24 hours race, I asked around a lot while in the paddocks regarding the HP mods found in your competitive cars (especially Friday's short race, with cars that are much more street derived), and found that not only are they very limited in what they can do for HP, but they're also pretty limited as to what they can do in terms of suspension modifications.
That said, it was obvious to me that despite some of the vintage machinery on display exhibiting 800-1200hp which were taken out for glorified parade laps, RR, is more about a proper platform as a strong basis to begin with (no duh!). It's just difficult to come to terms with this concept after spending a few years on this site where everything is geared towards the pursuit of HP.
So, I changed my focus, and decided that a low powered entry level car would first and foremost be the SAFEST way to get into this sport, as well as would be the best way to LEARN how to drive. Thus, the 944 as a platform came into consideration, as well as SPEC Miatas and we purchased the 944 because of the quality of the one example in particular which we found, plus it offered a bit more cabin room than the Miata.
I look very forward to getting into an LS1 powered platform in the future, but for now, we found the LS1 Fbods are very limited by class rules in terms of what you can do with them, and campaigning a near stock LS1 F-bod (suspensionwise) does not seem like my cup of tea.
Anyhow, sorry for the long write, but I hope I shed some light on the whole topic for you from my beginner's perspective. And lastly, a Fox Mustang is also not a bad way to get into this, using www.maximummotorsports.com as a parts source, but there's lots to do to the axle (4 lug to 5 lug) and brake and suspension of the Fox to get it to handle well in terms of initial labor and cost, along with the need for a built T5.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 03-01-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say before you even look for a car look into the different Sanctioning Groups like the SCCA and NASA. Download the GCR (General Competition Rules) and look at the different Car classes and allowed modifications. With that said a 944 would be a great platform to start. I took a ride in a scca prepped 944 and was impressed with the handling and balance. It only had about 170hp but the car was light so it didn't seem too bad. I did follow this car around nelson ledges road course an found that my bird was able to keep up with it in the corners and in the straights I had to lay off the throttle to stay behind. I was shadowing the driver because he had a very good racing line which I wanted to learn . I my self decided to go with my Trans Am to learn sinc I already have it and I can't live without the big torque of these V8's. Anyway I signed up for NASA. They seem to have better car classes and modification rules than scca. Also I didn't want to put a full rollcage in my car, which is required in all classes except Solo for SCCA. I'm more interested in Road Racing over Cone carving. Right now I'm setting up my car for Time Trials. because my car is already modded I'm forced to move up one class from TTC to TTB. Which puts me in the same class as C5's. But I'm still doing a few upgrades to avoid been the bitch of the field. Once I get some experience and seat time then I'll go to a dedicated car.

A stock Z28 or TA will run in the TTD class and with bigger front sway bar and better shocks it can go around the track a lot faster than you think. If you are doing cone carving it is more difficult because F bodies are big and heavy compared to miatas, Mini's and Acura's so setting up the car is more difficult.

My longwinded .02
Old 03-01-2006, 02:54 PM
LC
TECH Resident

Thanks for the input so far, but i dont plan entering any events... nor that i live the US.. hehehe..

Its just for fun.. and well the LS1 swap thing is because i will buy a new motor for the drag car, so i will have a stock ls1 laying around...
Old 03-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Launching!

You might want to consider a e36 platform BMW. They can be picked up for a decent price, all of the good suspension pieces are available, great brakes etc...
Old 03-01-2006, 03:53 PM
LC
TECH Resident

yeah i thought about it. it was my first choice since there are some companies making LS1 stuff for e36s... but they are still pricey around here...
Old 03-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Yeah I second the E36 platform, you wouldnt even necessarilly need to put an LS1 in it to have fun with it. I thought about finding a rolling chassis and using an S38(3.6l 310hp I-6) engine out of an E34 m5(91-93). It would cost about the same/less than an LS1/T56 combo and wouldnt need as much fabrication.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

I know a couple guys that road race F-bodys (173mph in a mostly stock WS6!) . They are fast & with some suspension mods can be made to corner with just about any car. My car is focused on drag racing, but I plan to run a 120mph / 140 tech speed open road race with it this year & will only need to change my back tires. So I say why buy 2 cars when the 1 you have will do it all?
Old 03-05-2006, 04:57 PM
LC
TECH Resident

yea.. i was thinking about that just yesterday at the drag strip looking at some "on sale" LT1 camaros... they are getting mad cheap...
Old 03-05-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't think anyone has mentioned it but 2nd generation ('86-91) and 3rd gen ('93-95) Mazda RX-7's are great candidates as well.

The '86-88 5 lug RX-7 with aluminum hood weighs about 2600lbs and is about 150lbs lighter than the '89-91 model if you don't strip the interior (automatic seat belts, another metal door beam, a metal brace behind the dash). Installing an LS1 gains about 100lbs. They have good factory brakes (upgrade the pads for sure to race pads) and strong factory LSD rear ends with great aerodynamics as well (.29-31cd). They are relatively cheap to buy with blown up motors for under $1K. There is an engine swap kit for a few hundred bucks, a C4 Vette driveshaft can be modified to work, and just drop in a $129 Walbro fuel pump and you are good to go. Suspension mods are cheap too. If you wreck the car you can easily find a replacement chassis in a matter of weeks. On a budget with coilovers, 3rd gen RX-7 16x8 rims, hubcentric wheelspacers, you can fit 245/45/16's all around.

The creme of the crop is the 3rd gen RX-7. They have double A-arm suspension front/rear, Can swallow up 285/30/18 tires with custom offset rims ($$$) all around, they make lots of aftermarket brake kits (Alcon, Brembo, etc.), and lots of aero parts. Entry fee is about $6-9K for one with blown motor in good condition. Add $1400 in engine/trans/dshaft mounting parts and you are on your way. Suspension upgrades are costly ($900 in bushings typically need replacing), coilover suspension $$$ etc. Mine with no a/c or p/s and full tank of gas weighs 2800lbs with 18x10.5" rims and heavy dual 3" exhaust with cats/Xpipe in place.

Best bang for the buck would be the 2nd gen RX-7 with LS1/T56 IMO. I would probably have a heartattack if I totalled my car; however I do road race it pretty hard a handful of times per year.

See my sig for what I did The car absolutely rips and is a blast. I still have a NX wet kit to get working to see how 150hp on top will feel. I daily drive it rain/shine about 300 miles/wk and more on the weekends.

-Mark
Old 03-07-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gnx7
See my sig for what I did The car absolutely rips and is a blast. I still have a NX wet kit to get working to see how 150hp on top will feel. I daily drive it rain/shine about 300 miles/wk and more on the weekends.
Looks like a nice sleeper Mark!
Old 03-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Teching In

have you considered the Lotus Exige Sport V6? I don't know how much you have to work with, but the Exige Sport is a 300hp V6 that generates loads of downforce. You might want to consider it. Or atleast an Exige as all of them generate downforce and can do a V6 swap.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a Porsche Cayman.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I suposse you can get something like this:
http://www.ponycars.net/93rx7forsale.htm

This should be a nice track car for the price.