Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

heel/ toe in an F-body

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heel/ toe in an F-body

anybody have any methods on using some heel/toe on an F-body, or maybe a way to raise the gas pedal. I get to drive porsche's all the time and those cars are setup great. I hate having get off the brake to rev/downshift in my Trans Am.

Ryan
Old 06-09-2006, 08:22 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I typically sit with legs extended as far as possible to the point where I can still fully push in the clutch pedal and grab the steering wheel with my shoulders still touching the seat (in any car). Canting my right knee inward to help roll the right portion of the right foot (the toe part- not the heel), I can "heel"/toe in most any car (heel in quotes on purpose, as most of us don't use the heel).
There are pedal adjustment kits and pedal plates which provide more surface area on the brake pedal side of the throttle pedal.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can do it all day with the stock pedals. Try changing your seating position.

FWIW-I have the front of my seat tilted all the way up with the back of it tilted all the way down, with the whole seat moved almost all the way forward. Im 5'10" btw.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

2 bolts, and the whole gas pedal comes out.

Put the pedal in a vice and bend it.

Because the gas pedal is so close to the trans tunnel, anyone with pixie feet can perform a true heel/toe.

I, on the other hand, have Frankenstein feet and when I put my heel on the brake pedal, my foot hits the trans tunnel and not the gas pedal.

So, I put the ball of my foot on the brake pedal and let the 4 other toes hang off to the left of the brake pedal.

I then roll my ankle and let the right side of my foot, "blip" the throttle pedal.

This is why I bent my throttle pedal shaft ... to get it closer to the brake pedal..
Old 06-09-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks, i'll have to do some more experimenting
Old 06-10-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the autovation aluminum racing pedals. They lower the brake pedal a bit and extend the gas pedal at the bottom closer to the brake. They look really nice too. They are not a sponsor so I will not post a link but it uses the name and a .net extension. You figure it out
Old 06-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Teching In

I am fighting this issue myself, I drive an RX-7 from time to time and the pedals are positioned perfecly. Guess this may be the difference between a purpose built sports car and a pony car.......anyway, I am pulling the assembly out of my car soon and experimenting. It seems that if you bend the linkage, the gas pedal will sit higher (vertically) than it should. I will try an post my outcome and list any notes (problems) I have.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can do it pretty well with my sparco pedal covers. They are just thin pieces of metal that screw/bolt onto the stock pedals. I actually do use my heel. My toe hits the brake and I kick my heel over to blip the throttle.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

those autovation pedals look nice, i'ts just the when you drive a "pure sportscar" it seems like their gas and brake pedal are pretty much level with each other instead of the gas pedal being so far down from the break pedal. The other thing that makes it easier is when the pedal doesn't pivot in the middle like it does in an F-body. When you tap the top of the peal in an F-body it will tilt forward a bit before depressing, thus making things more difficult. This is what frustrates me about my car. Heel/Toe makes those mountain roads so much more fun, ya know
Old 06-12-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by alanr
It seems that if you bend the linkage, the gas pedal will sit higher (vertically) than it should. I will try an post my outcome and list any notes (problems) I have.
I didn't bend it up, I bent it to the side
Old 06-12-2006, 02:07 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fast377
I can do it pretty well with my sparco pedal covers. They are just thin pieces of metal that screw/bolt onto the stock pedals. I actually do use my heel. My toe hits the brake and I kick my heel over to blip the throttle.
Those pedals have a heel extension don't they.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

i have a 95 z-28 and a size 10 1/2 shoe. i can't see how you would heel to toe in this car. my heel hits the trans tunnel when i try it. what i do is place the left side of my foot on the the right side of the brake pedal and the right side of my foot on the left side of the gas pedal and i roll my ankle to blip the throttle when downshifting. i know how that sounds, but it works smoothly for me and sounds NASTY!!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Those pedals have a heel extension don't they.
Yea, they have a heel extension on the gas pedal. That's why I got them.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

I can heel toe find and I have stock pedels and a size 12 shoe. I just move my seat up so I have a feel for the pedels. In my mustang though I had a problem because the pedel set furthere back then the brake pedel. Here is the link to what I did. It worked fine for me, BUT others said the pedel will stick. Iam not responsible for anything that may happen.
-Brandon
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/99pedals.htm
Old 06-16-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

I haven't done any sanctioned ORR but the M6 is easier on my runs to the border (sustained 114mph for 90-110 miles with curves). My feet are small enough to heel-toe but my toes *will* fall asleep. Usually I kick them off which I don't recommend driving without shoes to anyone, its just easier for me.

Seat position always up on the wheel. This was reinforced by Scott Settlemire when at an all Chev show, I apologized for the marks in the carpet where the seat is as far forward as it can get. He barked (at no one in particular) "Its not a Barcalounger!".

Nope, the car isn't stripped out so there are marks.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Because the gas pedal is so close to the trans tunnel, anyone with pixie feet can perform a true heel/toe.

I, on the other hand, have Frankenstein feet and when I put my heel on the brake pedal, my foot hits the trans tunnel and not the gas pedal.

So, I put the ball of my foot on the brake pedal and let the 4 other toes hang off to the left of the brake pedal.

I then roll my ankle and let the right side of my foot, "blip" the throttle pedal.

This is why I bent my throttle pedal shaft ... to get it closer to the brake pedal..
Well, the way you do it Mitch is how you are supposed to heel and toe. Many do it, or try the "other" way where they actually use their heel on the brake. Doesn't work, at least well.

Doing it that way creates all kinds of issues. You don't have your foot on the floor, so you don't have any a solid base from which to work. And if you use your heel on the brake pedal, when you point your toe to blip, you lose brake pressure.

I have size 10's. They are a little wide (I wear an EE), and I can heel/toe my car, but it's not natural like in an M3, Boxster, etc. Moving the gas pedal closer would help. Aluminum pedals would help too.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-18-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

I'm 6'1, wearing a size 12 wide, Piloti G16 driving shoe. There is no way I can heel-toe. What I do is put about the big toe and pad beneath it area on the brake pedal, and roll my ankle over sideways, blipping the gas with the the pinkie toe and pad area of my foot, keeping my entire foot pointed straight up the whole time. I can't play with the seating position too much, I seem to have lower-back issues, and only a certain position is comfortable for me without causing pain.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. All the class's I have seen tell you your heel should never leave the floor. When you pick your heel up to heel/toe you have no base and its very inconsistant.
Push the brake with the big toe and roll your foot over to gas with your heel on the floor
Old 07-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Teching In

I didn't understand much of anything you guys said, so I goggled it and found this http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...2/article.html thought it explained it pretty well
Old 07-18-2006, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mitchntx
2 bolts, and the whole gas pedal comes out.

Put the pedal in a vice and bend it.

niice

Quick Reply: heel/ toe in an F-body