Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Building a race car, need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Building a race car, need some advice.

A good friend of mine is building a car up to run in the new NASA series, and we've been doing a lot of talking about potential setups for his car. He's determined that an 84 Vette is his car of choice to run, but the powertrain is where we have hit some indecision. He's trying to keep this on somewhat of a budget, but his current sponsors aren't going to pitch in huge sums of money, so simply going out and buying the biggest and baddest known to man isn't going to cut it.

My real question here is about what engine/trans to swap in. For the weight range that he's shooting for, he has to keep the car under (or around) 400rwhp. From the get go, I've been pretty PRO LS1 & M6 tranny, but I also have a few concerns. I'm not sure how easy the swap is going to be, I'm concerned about the lacking torque vs. horsepower, and I'm concerned about the overall durability of an LS1 in a 200 mile race like this.

My thoughts were that the swap wasn't going to be easy, and would take some fabrication, but it shouldn't be THAT hard. The torque issue is something I didn't have an answer for. He'll need the torque to help get him out of the corners a little quicker (thanks racerns for that tip), but will the LS1's be enough? The durability issue I felt could be easily answered with some forged rods & pistons with ARP bolts.

If anyone has any recommendations for other engine or trans combo's that would be better for this application, please feel free to chime in. I was just very partial to the light weight and power of the LS1.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Building a race car, need some advice.

You can build "400 hp" and lots of torque (way more than a 400 hp engine should have) with a TPI and I'd look at that if it is legal. Use high flow goodies on the top end and make gobs of torque to go with only 400 hp. Just my thoughts....(Call canton for an oil pan)
Old 08-14-2003, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the advice. I'm not very TPI savvy, do you have any recommendations for some good heads for a TPI motor?
Old 08-15-2003, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

... GMPP for a long block 383. They're great for making the torque and they can definitely make the HP. Just bolt on the intake, some headers and go.
... or the Scoggins-Dickey Parts Center.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

We just did a 353 (.20 over) with SLP throttle body, SLP high flow runners, SLP headers, under drive pulley, SLP high flow baseplate, and a crane hydraulic roller with a custom chip by ed wright. We are still sorting it out (Haven't had much time to play with it this year), but I expect 330-350 to the wheels and 425+ ft lbs of torque as well. The limiting factor on this motor is a moderate cam and ZZ4 crate motor heads.

For budget, I'd look at the "Vortec" heads from GM not that Scoggin Dickey has a lower intake manifold to go with it or the "fast burn" gm heads (I believe they will work with that manifold as well, but the header flange may be slightly different). Or call the guys at Tuned Port Induction Specialties (TPIS) and let them set you up an induction system. Myron Cottrel (owner) and his crew know a few things about building "evil" TPI motors.

As a side note, GM updated the rear suspension on the Corvettes in 1998 and "fixed" some geometry problems that really helped the handling. Not that the early ones don't handle, they do. Just if I had my choice, I'd look for a later Vette.

Just my thoughts.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Call jegs (or TPIS) and get their Secrets of TPI book by TPIS. Read it all, then build.....
Old 08-27-2003, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Go with a 383 SBC with either the Vortc heads and Scoggin Dickey Vortec TPI base or TFS heads and the new Edelbrock (? I think that's who it is?) TPI set-up. It's cheap and makes a ton more power than the traditional TPI set-ups. I don't know if it will clear a Vette hood though?
Old 08-29-2003, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

I prefer a shorter stroke motor for a road race application, such as a 377 (take a 400 block and use a 350 crank). It keeps piston speeds down with the shorter stroke. There are a lot of stout 383's running around, but I'd prefer a 377 or a 350 from road race use and durabililty. Of course, anything can be made durable if you throw enough money at it....

Quick Reply: Building a race car, need some advice.