Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Road course virgin...tips please

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008 | 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

Default Road course virgin...tips please

hey, this is my first time to take my ta to the monthly roadcourse event at gulf greyhound park in texas. anyway, what are some things i should know before i make a fool of myself. i hope itll be a lot of fun.
Old 10-02-2008 | 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get all the junk out of your car, change your oil(over fill it by a quart), make sure your brakes are good(top off fluid and bleed + good pads), and be sure to have a helmet and any other required safety equipement.

Slow laps are learning laps, notice and learn as much as you can and filter later

"Pushing" it is relative, your first time out I would exceed 80% of what you think the car is capable of. No offense, but that is about what you are capable of in respect to the car when you start.

Listen to the more experienced guys, if there is an instructor available, pick their brain every chance you get. Things like lines, shift points, braking points, and most of all LAND MARKS. The more visual ques you can find on course the less you have to "remember" and the more it becomes natural reaction.

The biggest thing of all, have fun. You are there to learn about and enjoy the day and your car. Don't worry or even think about being the next Mario Andretti, just be you having a safe day out on the track.

Personal rule that I encourage for every one, car on = helmet on. Paddock, pits, taxi roads, doesn't matter, put you hat on!!!

Have fun and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-02-2008 | 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Respect others & make sure you know & understand the signals made by drivers & corner workers. Make sure you know what each different colored flag means, as well.

The ABSOLUTE BEST advice you can be given is to brake in a STRAIGHT line. Get on the brakes when the car is pointed forward. If you must brake while turning (because you underestimated your speed), then do so gently.

Have a Great Time!
Old 10-02-2008 | 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

What NJSPDER said. While you are bleeding the brakes, go with a higher temp fluid (DOT4). My first time out I was way behind the capabilities of the car. Are instructors available? A good instructor can have you taking turns like you would not believe. Seriously. My brain was saying "SLOW DOWN YOU FOOL!" and the instructor was yelling "MORE STEERING, MORE GAS!". There is a technique to cornering big rear wheel drive cars like ours such as getting your braking done before the corner and getting back on the gas early as possible to improve the weight balance). It really feels great when you get it right. Don't forget to have fun.
Old 10-02-2008 | 01:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 70hemicuda
hey, this is my first time to take my ta to the monthly roadcourse event at gulf greyhound park in texas. anyway, what are some things i should know before i make a fool of myself. i hope itll be a lot of fun.
Gulf Grey hound - auto-x event? They don't have a road course.
Old 10-02-2008 | 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

^^^i didnt know there was a difference. do inform
Old 10-02-2008 | 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh GOD, did we just go through that for an auto-x thread? Best advice I can give for auto-x is to get a go cart.
Old 10-02-2008 | 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

autox is a course set up with cones. much smaller, slower, tighter, more technical. usually favors small, light cars with a tight turning radius. you rarely get out of 2nd gear. its more about picking the right line, brake zones, turn in zones.

road courses are big, open tracks where your car can stretch its legs and breathe. upshifts through 4th, downshifts to 2nd or 1st. higher speeds, harder braking. its where our cars really start to shine and come into thier own. not saying you cant autox an fbody. i do both.
Old 10-03-2008 | 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is our local rookie guide note the 2 links at the bottom are pretty good.

Enjoy!
Old 10-03-2008 | 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
road courses are big, open tracks where your car can stretch its legs and breathe. upshifts through 4th, downshifts to 2nd or 1st. higher speeds, harder braking. its where our cars really start to shine and come into thier own. not saying you cant autox an fbody. i do both.
Well put.
Old 10-03-2008 | 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Have Fun

Change you oil, diff, trans and brake fluid ( fresh DOT 4)

NEW brake pads, More aggressive the stock. Stay the hell away from ceramic brake pads, they dont stop when HOT

Have fun

Listen to your instructor.

Learn the course, Learn the brake zones, learn traffic management, Have Fun

if you have leather seats, get some rubber tool box liner, cut a piece to put on your seat bottom to sit on. You wont slide around.

Have Fun and report back with pictures
Old 10-04-2008 | 07:31 PM
On The Tree

I learned the hard way. I only had 5.5 quarts of oil when I went to my last road course. Later, I read on here that some F Body guys put an extra quart of oil in to keep thier engines lubed. The extra oil may splash up on the crank and decrease performance, but this is a learning experiance, not a competition.

Had I known this in July 2007, I would not have destroyed my engine. Oh well, now I get to build a new engine. But when I do it, I am going to ensure I have a good oiling system.

In about two weeks I'll be back in the states on leave and drop my engine, crack it open and post pics of the burnt rings on here as a testament to why one should pay attention to their oiling system.

Quick Reply: Road course virgin...tips please