Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping up with a Coyote

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Keeping up with a Coyote

So here's the story. Im sure a lot of the info and discussion im looking for can be searched for (which i still do), but some of the info is like 10 years old and im sure there is some tech that has been made since then. And this gives me a chance to make a wish list of what I want to get in the future.

Story behind the story. My brother has a 2014 5.0 mustang. Looks cool, runs quick yada yada. I probably will never really beat him with my 02 SS A4 since he has more cash to play with, but I want to stay competitive. Right now he is pretty much stock with drag radials and an M6 (converting to auto after this summer) and ran 13.0 in Nebraska.

My SS has headers and some sort of exhaust, Y to magnaflow. Had SLP exhaust, not sure why previous owner changed it as this set up is super ugly, too low and exits behind drivers side rear wheel. Ill take pics as its pretty embarassing looking. SLP lid Anything else on the car is unknown to me.

So what Im looking for is what order I should do My upgrades as they will be budget and one at a time. And any advice on what options to get. Also keeping in mind Id like to still maintain highway drivablity. 5 hour trip capable.

This is my wish list:
Exhaust, from headers back most likey (probably first as the current look is an issue)
TC/stall
Drag radials/slicks
mild cam
Tune

not really thing of NO2 or charger... but maybe years in the future.

Any good upgrades I left out of my equation or helpful info that I can provide please ask. And thanks for any help.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you're being realistic there with your mods..exhaust for looks primarily - I get that; otherwise would have said stall first.

Add gears for sure.
I'd consider a milled set of 243s to get the most out of other mods. Best $400 you can spend on a LS1 beyond the stall.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you get any wheelhop you may consider welded SFC's & LCA's. besides the lid a cold air induction cant hurt. or try free ram air mod. no reason you cant keep up with him if you do those things you listed. (imo)
Old 03-21-2016, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bast bang for the buck on acceleration side is the converter.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Mod list looks good, maybe heads and cam in the future.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:13 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

You've got a good list going there. RPM = MPH. So, for your mild cam, you'll probably want a somewhat wider LSA. Won't chop as much, but will rev and still drive nicely. Keep your valve train light. Might consider some higher ratio lifters and titanium keepers as well to support higher RPM.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

as far as the cam is concerned, what would be a good one to get. i am very ignorant on the matter so no info is bad info to me. Ill probably ask a vendor to give me what I want for what Im using it for but Im sure you guys have great knowledge to give me an idea. Id like increased performance (obviously) and little mpg decrease as possible. And the less I have to buy on top would also be in my wheel house. so using the stock lifters etc is best for me if I can. Also this toy is more of a cool cruiser to me so a bump in performance not so much a huge leap. So based on that... haha.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A stall would be the best bang for your buck. Like a Yank or Circle D in 3600-4000 stall range.

On the exhaust side of things On3Performance has a really nice stainless "loudmouth style" exhaust for cheap.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

a 228 cam would be streetable with a stall , no stall the max i'd go is a 224. reminder upgraded springs are a must! (weakest link on a ls1) call a sponsor like texas speed. ps im a bit conservative but if too radical think about resale. also consider where the cam reaches peak hp and are you willing to rev that high?
Old 03-21-2016, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

If you are going to be changing your exhaust, you should really consider going to a true dual set-up, and replace that Y-pipe with an X-pipe. The lid/intake and exhaust will really help get the most out of any other mods you choose to do (like a cam and heads). Rear gears, stall, and cam all need to be done together. Not necessarily at the same time, but those components need to be thought about as a system and built/selected to compliment one another. The cam, stall, and gears will determine your rpms, and need to be selected to match how you drive and how high you want to rev your motor.

When you do decide to get a cam, give Martin Smallwood a call. He will set you straight with the perfect cam. Martin also offers quality upgraded trunions for the stock rockers.

When you decide to get new heads or port yours, look into the West Coast Cylinder Head stage two 4.8/5.3 heads. They are built to maximize flow on the small bores with 1.95/1.575 valves, and flow 285cfm on the 3.78" bore. Installing them on the ls1's 3.9" bore will only increase the flow by unshrouding the valves, and the relatively small 213cc intake runners should provide excellent port velocity and responsiveness. The smaller combustion chambers will provide a welcome bump in compression, as well. Just something to look into and consider, even though new heads are probably not an immediate concern.

An ls6 intake would also be good thing to consider for this build. It seems to be about the best choice for the F-body.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Here is the current exhaust. The ugliest set up I've ever seen
Old 03-21-2016, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

Stall and some drag radials off the bat.

Just pull the extension that leads to the turn down off the muffler and add a turn down to the muffler that will help on the looks factor because it will be somewhat hidden
Old 03-21-2016, 09:24 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

If you want RPM and drive ability I would go something like 228/232-115. You'll then need to mill your heads to get dynamic compression back.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:55 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for the time being, if you want to beat the 5.0 it won't be hard at all with that 13 second e.t. Literally just a stall and drag radials, with a tune of course will have you in the 12's.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 526 Likes on 407 Posts

An 02 SS came with the LS6 intake stock.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

BTW that 13 was at 2150 elevation. I havent ran mine yet so I dont know my starting point.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Reaper_SS
BTW that 13 was at 2150 elevation. I havent ran mine yet so I dont know my starting point.
You make a good point. That time translates to 12.67 at sea level....based on the conversion that I saw. You definitely have your work cut out for you. Those Coyotes are serious machines.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jake89
You make a good point. That time translates to 12.67 at sea level....based on the conversion that I saw. You definitely have your work cut out for you. Those Coyotes are serious machines.
yeah thats what i saw as well. the conversations seem a bit generous but it is what it is. And im just trying to not get left in the dust. He has a faster car and more cash to upgrade so I know where I stand. My best bet to beat him might be right now before he does his auto conversion (and anything else after this fall). Might catch him missing 3rd or something while im auto down the strip. And I do have LTs at least so who knows. might have a tune as well, has Jet perfomance sticker in the engine bay. My tiger paws might be my real down fall this summer. But its just a good brotherly rivalry. And the why I look at it (13.5 sec $8k car >13.0 sec $25k car) in some ways
Old 03-22-2016, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Drag radials
Torque converter
3.42 rear from an m6 car or 3.42 gearset itself should be cheap and good for driving daily.

You already said you have exhaust stuff, so that is where I would personally focus. 13.0 isn't impressive for your brother and won't be hard to beat
Old 03-22-2016, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Drag radials
Torque converter
3.42 rear from an m6 car or 3.42 gearset itself should be cheap and good for driving daily.

You already said you have exhaust stuff, so that is where I would personally focus. 13.0 isn't impressive for your brother and won't be hard to beat
Yeah it was his starting point time. And elevation with nothing more than drag radials on a stock car. I was slightly impressed.

But back to me. If I was just going to use them on the track, (not sure if I want to street race at all yet) should I get drag radials or just slicks? And a good price if known

Quick Reply: Keeping up with a Coyote