Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sharing my Camaro diet and mods progress.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Sharing my Camaro diet and mods progress.

Hello guys ,I started to make this car faster and reliable . So i decided to share with you my ideas and the progress. Last time the car was in the track was like it said in my signature.
Now i decided to make the car faster in a low budget. First thing i decided was to make it lighter.The Camaro is a factory stripper no power accessories of any kind. When it ran 12.75 was at 3320 pounds without me in, with 1/4 tank of gas. Still have AC and stereo;
Now in this round i installed a 25% UD pulley , BMR turbo K member , Performabuild Transmission with 4K yank, a UMI tunnel mount TA and a XS Power mini battery.

My expectation is to loose 30lbs in k member, the UMI TA weight 32.2 and the factory TA was 17 lbs so at this point i loose 15lbs net in this move. Now the stall full of ATF is like 15lbs difference and the battery my optima red top is 30.0lbs the XS Power is 14.7lbs. In the stall i think i loose like 10 to 15lbs. I loose like 45lbs in weight not counting rotating mass.

I hope to gain like .5 to .7 of a second in the 1/4 if the car hook well.
Any toughs and suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by fastsspr; 08-23-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice round of mods you did. So many just add horsepower but don't think of strategic weight reduction and suspension mods. Might want to look into changing your y-pipe Yours looks restrictive. Also don't lower your car too much with that tq arm. It clear exhaust well but it will take up the highway on big bumps. Another thing is if you decide to replace the rear at some point you can get a 9in that has a lot lighter tq arm
Old 08-23-2017, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Good stuff. But yeah, the Y pipe is pretty bad, I'd look into ditching that thing.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Concentrate on weight reduction...there is a lot of weight to loose without spending any money. I dropped 451# so far and still have stock K and battery. I do have the same TA and it is works great (does sit low though, as mentioned).
Old 08-23-2017, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I was running 12.89 with Kooks headers and duals, slp cai, and tune. Stock stall and 2.73s.
I put in a performabuilt lvl 2 4L60, FTI 4,000 stall, bmr chromoly torque arm, & et streets on the stock rims and went 12.29. So shaving .7 off your et is certainly doable.

You will need to have your shift points retuned. Mine would hit the rev limiter before shifting after I put the stall in, but a good tuner can fix this in a few minutes.

And the the key is traction. Make sure you have a good drag radial or you'll be disappointed.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good progress!
Old 08-26-2017, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
Nice round of mods you did. So many just add horsepower but don't think of strategic weight reduction and suspension mods. Might want to look into changing your y-pipe Yours looks restrictive. Also don't lower your car too much with that tq arm. It clear exhaust well but it will take up the highway on big bumps. Another thing is if you decide to replace the rear at some point you can get a 9in that has a lot lighter tq arm
---Thanks yes i collected some parts to make this round.
Yes i know my y pipe is restrictive.I bought the headers and y pipe used and installed then like they came but i have a set of use kooks 1 7/8 with a goo y pipe that i going to buy to make a better exhaust. The car not going to be lowered.At this point i going to let the 10bolt suffer some punishment.

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Good stuff. But yeah, the Y pipe is pretty bad, I'd look into ditching that thing.
---Yes i know that about the y pipe i going to wait till i get the next headers.

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
Concentrate on weight reduction...there is a lot of weight to loose without spending any money. I dropped 451# so far and still have stock K and battery. I do have the same TA and it is works great (does sit low though, as mentioned).
---Thanks, yes i tried to make a difference of at least 50 pounds in this round.
Yes i like the idea of weight reduction and saving money.Wow congratulations 451 is huge. I have no issue with clearance with my TA so Im happy with it.

Originally Posted by jhshnh
I was running 12.89 with Kooks headers and duals, slp cai, and tune. Stock stall and 2.73s.
I put in a performabuilt lvl 2 4L60, FTI 4,000 stall, bmr chromoly torque arm, & et streets on the stock rims and went 12.29. So shaving .7 off your et is certainly doable.

---Nice time with this those mods. Like to know your experience because it let me know my goals are realistic. Congratulations nice job.

You will need to have your shift points retuned. Mine would hit the rev limiter before shifting after I put the stall in, but a good tuner can fix this in a few minutes.

---Yes i know that i can fit that with HPT.

And the the key is traction. Make sure you have a good drag radial or you'll be disappointed.
Originally Posted by gesto
Good progress!
---Yes a have a Bogarts dragpack with MT SS DR 26 x 10 hope to hook well with this.

I going to use this thread to keep documenting my results and mods for the benefit group. I going to go to the track next month to see the results.

Next round in the list:
1 7/8 headers and better y pipe
adj. shocks and springs
front and rear bumper delete bars.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hello guys this are the results of the round of changes. This was accomplished without a dyno tune.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Youre getting there. Keep going.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I expected more from that verter, like the .5 to .7 you expected. When you say no dyno tune does that mean no re calibration to the trans either? If my track would hook 1/2 way and I could pull a 1.7 I would've picked up 1.59 seconds from same mods plus headers/exhaust.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work!
Old 04-15-2018, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Youre getting there. Keep going.
Thanks for the help with the trans calibration.Is working like a champ. Next weekend I going to install F/R MWC bumper supports , rear double adj. Vikings ,solid adj. MWC lca and carpet delete to test it Saturday.

Originally Posted by Jenson
I expected more from that verter, like the .5 to .7 you expected. When you say no dyno tune does that mean no re calibration to the trans either? If my track would hook 1/2 way and I could pull a 1.7 I would've picked up 1.59 seconds from same mods plus headers/exhaust.
Yes I expected some more from the verter too, is a lot to keep fine tunning. I re calibrated the transmission and play with some base timing and fuel. But with a Dyno tune is a lot easier to find the tune that maximize the combo. Another factor that play a big role in my car is I'm 4000' above sea lever and for a NA motor is less oxygen.

[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by BennyB
Nice work!

Thanks

I keep you guys posted in the progress. Goal is to touch 11.9xx with stock motor ac,stereo and daily driver on pump gas with 208,+++ miles in the motor.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:19 AM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Any updates?

Quick Reply: Sharing my Camaro diet and mods progress.