Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

David Vizard compares stock LS3 head to AFR LS3 Enforcer

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Default David Vizard compares stock LS3 head to AFR LS3 Enforcer

I'm not sure the best place to post this, move if desired. David compares CD, port energy et al between OEM LS3 head and AFR as-cast LS3 Enforcer 238cc head. He claims AFR has a CNC version of this head as well, I presume he's referring to the older 260cc Mongoose and maybe he'll do the same for it in the future. Does David's historical knowledge easily transfer to LS long blocks? Are there new ideas from say Darren Morgan, Tony Mamo, etc. that supersedes David's knowledge?

Old 03-18-2024, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I’d love to see a forged bottom end with these heads and a low lash solid roller. It would probably surprise us. Especially the mamofied versions.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (03-18-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

He just released another video with some impressive gains after minimal port work.
G Atsma (06-24-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 576 Likes on 402 Posts

I still HAVE NOT seen a AFTERMARKET LS3 worth the extra cash over stocks. Flow numbers are cool but we cant bench race those.

My cookbook thread showed multiple LS3 heads with different cams, intakes etc. They all run the same identical number at the drag strip. If i remember right one of the fastest LS3 headed cars in the thread had a some UNTOUCHED LS3 heads and a factory GM LS3 intake.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,106 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
I still HAVE NOT seen a AFTERMARKET LS3 worth the extra cash over stocks. Flow numbers are cool but we cant bench race those.

My cookbook thread showed multiple LS3 heads with different cams, intakes etc. They all run the same identical number at the drag strip. If i remember right one of the fastest LS3 headed cars in the thread had a some UNTOUCHED LS3 heads and a factory GM LS3 intake.
You're right. Everything I've seen about LS3 heads show it to be an excellent head for most mainstream applications, whether it be Richard Holdener dyno tests or flow tests.
It's a darn good head! And the LS3 intake is a great match for them. As I've said, adjust your preferred power level with a cam and/or a turbo or supercharger.
Old 06-25-2024, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

I don’t know about the LS3 line of Enforcer heads but the others for Ford & GM are the same Chinese heads that every other Chinese head vendor sells. Except the Enforcers have AFR valvetrain & hardware. If memory serves they’re the same casting as ProComp in some applications. I believe I read that one of the offerings in the Enforcer lineup is a Chinese stock 243 head knock off.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 06-25-2024 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
I don’t know about the LS3 line of Enforcer heads but the others for Ford & GM are the same Chinese heads that every other Chinese head vendor sells. Except the Enforcers have AFR valvetrain & hardware. If memory serves they’re the same casting as ProComp in some applications. I believe I read that one of the offerings in the Enforcer lineup is a Chinese stock 243 head knock off.
Typically, this is true. However, the LS3 Enforcer is an AFR design with 238cc intake ports and 2.080" intake valves.
Y2K_Frenzy (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Typically, this is true. However, the LS3 Enforcer is an AFR design with 238cc intake ports and 2.080" intake valves.
I just looked at the ad and AFR says they flow up to twenty more CFM than OEM. So it’s more or less an OEM head copy with smaller valves I guess. I think I can sneeze more than twenty CFM.
Old 06-26-2024, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just looked at the ad and AFR says they flow up to twenty more CFM than OEM. So it’s more or less an OEM head copy with smaller valves I guess. I think I can sneeze more than twenty CFM.
It is a smaller valve, a 20cc smaller port, and a 12 degree valve angle. The interesting thing is that they put the head on a 416 stroker and had an issue with it falling on its face in the upper RPMs, but until that point, it was beating out the stock LS3 head.

This was before the port work, so I'm interested in seeing how it does with the minor cleanup. One thing to mention is that I had spoken with Mast about their small port LS3 heads for my 404, and they said that they have seen turbulence with their small port heads above 6500 RPM on 400+ cubic inch engines. So, I don't know if that is coming into play here. In the video, they are pointing at the camshaft's LSA, but I don't think an LSA is going to cause a plateau in the curve like they saw.

Last edited by MuhThugga; 06-26-2024 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,106 Likes on 2,421 Posts

i actually wonder how much the stock LS3 improves with just a good multi-angle valve job and bowl blend. Those 2 things usually gain more than hogging the ports out.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
i actually wonder how much the stock LS3 improves with just a good multi-angle valve job and bowl blend. Those 2 things usually gain more than hogging the ports out.
Agreed! Also guys don't forget flow numbers aren't everything, got to look at velocity too!
G Atsma (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
It is a smaller valve, a 20cc smaller port, and a 12 degree valve angle. The interesting thing is that they put the head on a 416 stroker and had an issue with it falling on its face in the upper RPMs, but until that point, it was beating out the stock LS3 head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJS8PNPWnDA

This was before the port work, so I'm interested in seeing how it does with the minor cleanup. One thing to mention is that I had spoken with Mast about their small port LS3 heads for my 404, and they said that they have seen turbulence with their small port heads above 6000 RPM on 400+ cubic inch engines. So, I don't know if that is coming into play here. In the video, they are pointing at the camshaft's LSA, but I don't think an LSA is going to cause a plateau in the curve like they saw.
Even still I think it’s a head that’s marketed for someone that is needing or wanting an OEM replacement for their LS3. I don’t think it’s really intended to be a “performance head.” How do you think they would’ve done bolted down to a stockish 376?
G Atsma (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I've been thinking about doing this lately: valve job, bowl blend, and maybe some work on the exhaust ports.

Even still I think it’s a head that’s marketed for someone that is needing or wanting an OEM replacement for their LS3. I don’t think it’s really intended to be a “performance head.” How do you think they would’ve done bolted down to a stockish 376?
I can't say as to how they would have done on a 376. If it truly is a turbulence issue, I would think that reducing the cubes would just move the turbulence further up the RPM range, possibly even moving it outside of the engine's usable powerband so it becomes a nonissue. Also, I went back to my emails with Mast, and they said the turbulence started at 6500, not 6000 like I said earlier.

To me, it seems like there is an issue with the valvetrain. Off the bat, the valve springs that come with those heads are rated to .600" lift, but the cam had something like .630" lift. Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall the video mentioning that they changed valve springs.
G Atsma (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,004 Likes on 715 Posts

It would seem (keyword: seem) that they aimed for reducing port volume and valve size to gain velocity, then went with a 12° angle to gain back some unshrouded/unmasked flow.....
G Atsma (06-26-2024)

Quick Reply: David Vizard compares stock LS3 head to AFR LS3 Enforcer