LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Volant cold air question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Volant cold air question.

Hello guys I had a question, so today I install a volant cold air intake on my 95 trans am. I got a ram air ws6 hood. Wasn't that bad of a job but now my hood don't close all the way.

It seem like the design on the under side of the hood is causing it to not close. A guy at a body shop told they probably have to cut some of my hood. Is that the only solution?

Here my hood and what it looks like

And also another question, is the optispark vent hose okay being here? Or should I relocate?

​​​​​​

Last edited by LT1DG; 06-24-2024 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The opti vent needs to be hooked up to engine vacuum to suck the ozone out or it will foul the opti. Located somewhere on the driver side is the factory location.

What about trimming the air box base a little? Better pics of the hood closed and up close will help.
Old 06-25-2024, 06:40 AM
Launching!

Received 114 Likes on 90 Posts

I have an after market SS hood on mine with the same intake. In order to get it to shut you have to cut that box way down. I can take pictures of mine if you want to see. The filters are still right on the hood.
Old 06-25-2024, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Treburkulosis
I have an after market SS hood on mine with the same intake. In order to get it to shut you have to cut that box way down. I can take pictures of mine if you want to see. The filters are still right on the hood.
Okay I see. Sure, I greatly appreciate it if you can.
Old 06-25-2024, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by F14D
The opti vent needs to be hooked up to engine vacuum to suck the ozone out or it will foul the opti. Located somewhere on the driver side is the factory location.

What about trimming the air box base a little? Better pics of the hood closed and up close will help.
Okay, cause I have it plug into a breather that feeds from airbox. Is that a good location?

​​​​​​The under side? Or the entire hood?

Old 06-25-2024, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT1DG
Okay I see. Sure, I greatly appreciate it if you can.
I had to trim the entire top of the box out. And then I still had to open up the back to allow the connecter to go down more. It is still right on the hood, but it does shut. I added. a little rubber trim around where my cuts where to make it look better. I used my Dremel.

Old 06-25-2024, 10:02 AM
Launching!

I relocated the sensor. I just drilled a whole and used the grommet.

Old 06-25-2024, 11:47 AM
8 Second Club

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

opti will have 2 lines. One, as stated, goes to engine vacuum to suck. Other line should be connected to filtered air to keep out contaminants. Maybe find a small filter to it?
you do not want to introduce dust or anything I tot he opti
Old 06-25-2024, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

I had to trim the entire top of the box out. And then I still had to open up the back to allow the connecter to go down more. It is still right on the hood, but it does shut. I added. a little rubber trim around where my cuts where to make it look better. I used my Dremel.

That a lot of cutting lol. What kind of hood you got?

That middle piece, is whats hitting the Intake. The body shop told me that they will try to cut a square hole to see if clears. But he said he not forsure if it will work. For a ram hood I'm surprise I have to do some fab just for this to clear 🙄 I assumed it would of cleared.
The following users liked this post:
Treburkulosis (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AgFormula02
opti will have 2 lines. One, as stated, goes to engine vacuum to suck. Other line should be connected to filtered air to keep out contaminants. Maybe find a small filter to it?
you do not want to introduce dust or anything I tot he opti
​​​​​​I have the vacuum line plug into a breather in the intake.

Old 06-25-2024, 12:20 PM
Launching!

That a lot of cutting lol. What kind of hood you got?

That middle piece, is whats hitting the Intake. The body shop told me that they will try to cut a square hole to see if clears. But he said he not forsure if it will work. For a ram hood I'm surprise I have to do some fab just for this to clear 🙄 I assumed it would of cleared.
I really thought it would have worked as well. It cleared under the stock hood. I had to do a ton of trimming. Mine was hitting with the box and the connector pipe. Mine still touches the air filters. I am about to just dump it and get a SLP one.
Old 06-25-2024, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

I really thought it would have worked as well. It cleared under the stock hood. I had to do a ton of trimming. Mine was hitting with the box and the connector pipe. Mine still touches the air filters. I am about to just dump it and get a SLP one.
There a guy somewhere on the LT1LS1 forums who has the exact same intake and somehow his cleared.

I don't know what hood he got, but assume it's ram air. I comment on the thread but it's old thread from 09 so I don't know if he going to respond.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:35 PM
Launching!

There a guy somewhere on the LT1LS1 forums who has the exact same intake and somehow his cleared.

I don't know what hood he got, but assume it's ram air. I comment on the thread but it's old thread from 09 so I don't know if he going to respond.
I dont know either. Mines a nice hood. It just did not even want to clear. It was such a good hood it all lined up with the factory latch once I yanked the intake off. You might take the box off and just put the intake itself on like I did and then you should be able to see how much you need to trim to make it clear.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Here a pic of the under side

And closed.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Here a pic of the under side

And closed.
Thats how high mine was before I trimmed it.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Thats how high mine was before I trimmed it.
​​​​​​
I'm pretty sure its the design where the air lid goes. The middle part is what hitting the filter.

It's probably also why your didn't clear to. It's the way they design it under.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:52 PM
Launching!

​​​​​​
I'm pretty sure its the design where the air lid goes. The middle part is what hitting the filter.

It's probably also why your didn't clear to. It's the way they design it under.
Probably. I am guessing that the Factory hoods have more clearance than the aftermarket hoods.
Old 06-25-2024, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Probably. I am guessing that the Factory hoods have more clearance than the aftermarket hoods.
That what I was thinking. But I seen picture of ws6 hood from under, and there barely any difference.
Old 06-25-2024, 04:45 PM
Launching!

That what I was thinking. But I seen picture of ws6 hood from under, and there barely any difference.
Something has to be different if both our hoods did the same thing lol.
Old 06-25-2024, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Something has to be different if both our hoods did the same thing lol.
That what I'm saying. I think it's the middle area. When I closed it to see what areas was touching, it was only that area. The area around still had room, even the seal around the filter had tons of room still. I will find out tomorrow when I go to the body shop , hopefully thats the only thing that's preventing it from the closing 🤞🏾

Quick Reply: Volant cold air question.