Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

I want a 450 hp out of my sbc...what heads/intake/cam do i need

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I want a 450 hp out of my sbc...what heads/intake/cam do i need

I just picked up a 79 camaro with a holley carb(i think its a 650 but i have to check the part number), Edlelbrock Performer RPM intake, comp cams 230/230 .480 lift cam. I was told it was bored out .60 over so i think that makes it a 358 c.i. motor. Im assuming its has flat top pistons but i dont know right now. I have a set of 3.73s that im about to put in and a 2500 stall. This will be a weekend/cruiser only. Not really any track time other than just to see what she would do one time.

I would like to keep the intake/carb/cam if i can, but i know that I might have to change if it wont do what I want. Im really looking for 350+ rwhp out of a th350 so whatever that would equate to at the flywheel is what im looking for. I think 450 with around 20% driveline loss is around 360 rwhp so thats what im going for.

I dont think going the vortec route will cut it. I would like to get some decent aluminum heads so i could bump up the compression with a smaller chamber like a 64cc and still run pump gas. Plus, getting decent heads and keeping my intake and cam might be easier than getting vortecs and a new intake. I think my cam is the max lift that a vortec can go with out messing them. I would like the car to pull no more than 6300-6500. I dont know how the bottom end was built so it will kinda be a crap shoot....closer to 6000 would probably be smarter.

I have mentioned some of this stuff in another thread but I want to start one that is just on this topic lol. One day, i would lke to to a tko-600 swap in the car. I really want a manual tranny, fun/performance and economy lol.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

you could get a decent set of sbc heads and a vic jr intake with a lil bigger carb and cam and easily get 450 fwhp
Old 03-05-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

can you be a little more specific on the heads...dart, brodix, summit rippoffs...I have some mildly worked over 993s on there now with 76cc chambers....how much would i gain if i just slapped some decent aluminum 64 cc heads. In the other thread i posted some summit rippoffs that turned out to be a copy of the Brodix IK heads....they were listed for 850 for the pair...assembled.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just found these on ebay....a vortec make but apparently from patriot and i can run a cam with some more lift

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Patri...Q5fAccessories

This with a new vortec compatible intake and a larger cam should be nasty....but is it worth the swap
Old 03-06-2009, 05:21 AM
TECH Regular

Dart 200cc Pro 1 or iron eagle, TFS new 195cc, or AFR 195's will get you the power you want..What cam with that intake? To get the most out of what you have, have a custom cam made by cam motion or another reputable cam company, no reason to grab something off the shelves and hope it works ok... It will probably be in the 225-235 duration on the intake. Keeping it REALLy simple would be an LT4 hotcam. I've seen that cam in an LT4 engine make 365rwhp on a mustang dyno...It's rarely a cam I think of unless someone says they want that specific amount of power. It benefts from 1.6 rocker arms for sure also..goodluck!
Old 03-06-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

He won't be able to use the hotcam due to it being a roller cam with a step nose design. His motor is most likely a flat tappet design. Go with a 195 runner TFS or an AFR equivalent and look at an extreme energy cam from Comp. The xe274 should get you close but if you want an idle that is a lil more lopey and get you to your power goal look at the xe284. Chevy High Performance did a 10:1 comp 350 with the xe284 and a set of vortec heads and made 440 flywheel hp
Old 03-06-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have some heads u may be interested in.
pm sent
Old 03-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Hey silver bullet, do you know where We can find a parts list for that Chevy High Performance build? I was thinking about installing that cam and I'd like to know what kind of carb/intake etc that they used.

Quick Reply: I want a 450 hp out of my sbc...what heads/intake/cam do i need