Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

t56 retrofit to bbc, What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 retrofit to bbc, What to do?

I have a 2001 t56 from a ls trans am, I am installing it in a 55 chev behind a bbc. when i test fit trans to engine my input shaft appears to be about 1/8 to 3/16" to long, is there a spacer that would work between engine & bell housing? or perhaps a different bell housing? I would like to retain the hydraulic release bearing if possible.
what is the best way to do this install?
what is needed to move the shifter to the forward position?
can the spedo be changed to gear drive internaly?

Last edited by trifive; 12-28-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are few things you can try... but a simple solution is to use the Weir Hot Rod Products Bell housing.

other than a adapter/spacer, You could also swap the input shaft for a LT1 one along with the bell housing.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bczee is right. LT1 T56 is the best way to go. I actually have on with the bellhousing and all laying around if your interested. As for changing the shifter location, that requires changing alot of the internals if I'm not mistaken.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

You can move the shifter forward to the inspection cover, but you have to pull the case apart to repin the shaft. I'm trying to remember who has a kit if you don't want to source the parts yourself. I think it was Kiesler.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mcleod is the one that markets the Shifter Relocation kit. I had looked into them before. but the added cost of having to disassemble the trans was not something I felt I wanted to get into.

You could sell or trade your LS1 T56 for a LT1 trans.. is the option of not doing any of the above.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/gm-bar...ypage_acc.html
Old 12-29-2010, 09:31 PM

thanks for the feedback, I had to re-register to get back in, not sure whats up?
I am prepared to disassemble the trans.to relocate the shifter forward,and if the best solution is to replace the input shaft i can do this at the same time.
Is it correct that the LS1 T56 trans is stronger than the LT1 version?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:35 PM

does the LT1 bell housing use the same hydraulic release bearing as the LS1 ?
Is your LT1 T56 complete or a parts unit?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

The LT1 style clutch is a pull type clutch with a fork. The LS1 is a std. push type clutch that slides along the input shaft. I don't know of anything that was done to the LS1 T56 versus the LT1 that would make it stronger, but I'm no expert.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BB trifive
does the LT1 bell housing use the same hydraulic release bearing as the LS1 ?
Is your LT1 T56 complete or a parts unit?
Well theres the problem to be honest. If you basically converted the LS1 to the LT1 style so it'll bolt right up to problems, you not only have to change in the input shaft, but you also have to change the midplate, get a LT1 bellhousing, and hydraulic setup, because like someone said, the LS1 is a slave cylinder style with a throwout bearing made onto it that simply pushes on the clutch diaphragm, where as the LT1 has a slave cylinder that pushes a fork with a throwout bearing on it to disengage the clutch, so it kind gets expensive to swap it over. I think the midplate alone is $200 last I checked.

As to your question on the strength, from what I remember, only the 93 model T56s with the different gearsets was weaker. If memory serves, the standard T56 was a MM6 gearset, which was all 94-02 F-body T56 trannys, which the one I have would be, whereas the 93 had 2 sets, the M28, and M29, both of which are different than the MM6.

As for mine, its all there; tranny, shifter, bellhousing, and I thinking I even have stock flywheel (problem there is it would be the small bolt pattern I believe, and depending on what your running, you would need a large/old style bolt patter since they went to a smaller bolt pattern in the mid/late 80s on all SBs). I don't have a clutch for it, or the hydraulics, but that should be replaced when it goes in anyway, tbh. I'm phasing out all my GENI/II stuff, so if you were interested, I'd be willing to do some kind of trade perhaps since I could use a spare LS1 T56. Never hurt to have an extra, right?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:25 AM

is the mid plate the section where the release bearing slides on?
What is the difference in length between the LS & the LT input shafts?
Old 12-30-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Yes that's the mid plate. I call it a face plate. Input shaft is just slightly longer on the LS1, I believe the splines are the same.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BB trifive
is the mid plate the section where the release bearing slides on?
What is the difference in length between the LS & the LT input shafts?
If you look at it, you'll see that the piece the bellhousing mates up to is removable. Its about 2" thick. Thats the mid plate.

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
Yes that's the mid plate. I call it a face plate. Input shaft is just slightly longer on the LS1, I believe the splines are the same.
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the spline counts are actually different, but I could be mistaken.

Quick Reply: t56 retrofit to bbc, What to do?