Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

repost hopfully a better area fuel injection on a gen 1 sbc

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 08:38 PM
ggk
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default repost hopfully a better area fuel injection on a gen 1 sbc

My friend is building a 406 sbc with a doug nash 5 speed 84 trans am, and he is having hood clearence problems. i was thinking a fuel injection setup would be shorter. if anyone has any ideas please share.
also is there any way to still run a stock style air cleaner like a normal 305 car would run.
Alsomachining adapters plates and things of that nature are no problem, he owns a machine shop.

sorry for the repost but no one was helping in fuel.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I quess it would depend on the intake height. If you use a throttle body, with a direct port injection, it probably will be about the same height as a carb and an intake with the same height. You might check the height of the stealth ram efi set up, it could be shorter. The only other option is to use a low profile intake or a taller hood or scoop. The third gen doesn't look bad with a cawl hood.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ggk
My friend is building a 406 sbc with a doug nash 5 speed 84 trans am, and he is having hood clearence problems.

I don't understand, I'm not a SBC expert but it was my understanding that aside from bore and steam holes a 400 block was identical to a 350 block (at least externally). So displacement shouldn't actually matter as far as fitment.

Is he running a tall carb. manifold like a tunnel ram? Otherwise I don't really know why it wouldn't fit. Has he looked at drop base aircleaners?

As far as EFI intakes go, here's what I know will fit on a 3rd Gen. TPI (sucks. sucks even worse on a 406ci), LT1 intake (about $200 to mod, not emissions legal), Stealth Ram, Mini-Ram, Super Ram. Some of these have a full PEFI setup that comes along with it, others are just the manifold. You could get a TPI harness or TPI swap harness and computer. if I were in the same situation, converting to EFI from carb (I was), I would go with megasquirt (I did). You have to build it yourself, but it's very flexible and plenty powerful for a NA SBC. Info at http://megasquirt.info and forums at http://msefi.com.

The Alternative Port Intake forum and DIY-Prom forum at thirdgen.org will be able to help you with any questions you have about specifics on any of the EFI intakes I mentioned.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

i had the same problem on my 3rd gen. i had a victor jr and even with a drop base it still hit.about the easiest solution i know of is break down and get a 2-4 " cowl hood.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slow trap
i had the same problem on my 3rd gen. i had a victor jr and even with a drop base it still hit.about the easiest solution i know of is break down and get a 2-4 " cowl hood.
Cowl hood will be the cheapest and easiest way to go, unless you'd have to repaint the whole car. But hey I'd go that way and have a nice hood/paint job and motor set up.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:22 PM
ggk
Launching!

cant go cowl hood, it is a restoration to the way it came from the dealer ship.
it is a mecham car and it has to do with a the carb he will try a smaller carb but it probably wont supply the motor.( it is pushing 600 to 625 at the motor.)

i was thinking could you use a adaptor plate to mount a 90mm tb horizontally insted of useing a elbow. and then making an adapter to use a aircleaner for a 4 barrel car.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

you could put a stock q jet manifold and buy an 850 edelbrok q jet stock original air filter fits and all jz
Old 07-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=ggk]cant go cowl hood, it is a restoration to the way it came from the dealer ship.
it is a mecham car and it has to do with a the carb he will try a smaller carb but it probably wont supply the motor.( it is pushing 600 to 625 at the motor.)

Using a smaller carb won't change anything because to outside dimmensions are the same. If anything you would have to use a shorter intake, like the stock one, or similar one. If thats not an option, your out of options besides a hood.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're options are somewhat limited since you're running a Firebird front end. The have reduced clearance compared to the Camaro.

However, I as well as several other people have used the Victor Jr intake, any decent carb that will handle the engine (CFM and exterior dimensions aren't related to a point), and an L-88 style drop base air cleaner. This is about the ONLY aircleaner that will work: L-88 aircleaner

As far as EFI goes, forget about the StealthRam. It will restrict your engine at your power level, and you'll have to run sagging stock engine mounts AND cut the braces from the hood to make it fit - and it will still contact the hood. A MiniRam II (NOT a converted LT1 intake) or SuperRam would work wonders. A healthy 406 under a SuperRam would make so much torque the diesels guys would be jealous
Old 07-29-2006, 02:54 PM
ggk
Launching!

well it is impossible for him to run anything other than a carb style intake cause of the dual snorkle air cleaner that came on it stock. that is the only thing stoping us from going crazy on it.

My idea is like how these fi guys are running carb style intakes that have been modded to accept fuel injectors. but insted of using the 100degree elbow just mount the throttle body on the intake.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ggk
well it is impossible for him to run anything other than a carb style intake cause of the dual snorkle air cleaner that came on it stock. that is the only thing stoping us from going crazy on it.

My idea is like how these fi guys are running carb style intakes that have been modded to accept fuel injectors. but insted of using the 100degree elbow just mount the throttle body on the intake.

all most every injecter alky race car today uses a t body and drills what ever manifold they have to inject the car but you could do the same but its pricy to do with the t bodys that have tps stuff on it jz
Old 07-29-2006, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ggk

Yeah, you can do that. Epoxy or weld in injector bungs, create a custom fuel rail, and get high pressure lines and pump. Only thing is, after all that work, I'm not sure it's going to be any less tall than a carb on the same manifold.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:01 AM
Teching In

If you use a 4brl throtal body there like 3 in tall, If you dont use a spacer i think it would work out.

Quick Reply: repost hopfully a better area fuel injection on a gen 1 sbc