Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

650 hp and a stock 10 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 03:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 hp and a stock 10 bolt?

So...
I have a quick question.. or I guess I am just looking for opinions...

How do you guys think a stock 10 bolt with factory GM gears (3.43) with a POSI would hold up to 650 hp and about 700 ft lbs..

it is going in a drag only car.. now it may see the streets.. but on a rare occasion... like cruising to a show that is local or something of that affect...

Also.. while I have your attention... What would I need to do with my th350 to make it handle that much power...
I am going from about 300 hp and 300 ft lbs to this new motor... with 650...

Keep in mind guys.. funds are VERY limited at this point.. as a 650 hp motor is not exactly cheap...
Any info and / or ideas is appreciated!

~KC
Old 11-09-2006, 03:12 AM
Teching In

I guess i should add... this is going in the 83 Z28 and it is naturaly aspirated also....
Old 11-09-2006, 04:37 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3rd and 4th gen 10 bolts are even weaker than they were in earlier GM vehicles. This 10 bolt was originally designed for the Chevy Monza and S10 vehicles. There really is nothing you can do to beef it up for that much torque, other than wasting money trying to beef it up. A Moser 9 inch will do the job for you, and with the power your engine has, I would go with a spool in it. Luckily, the spool save you several hundred dollars. Bob
Old 11-09-2006, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

If funds are limited then why not settle for 600hp and use the rest to get a better rear. You will be able to get better times with better traction.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

I'd just work on it as you can. Get the power you want and if it takes you a few more months for a rear then so be it. Most people spend a year plus on uilding their cars. I'm looking at a year and a half and I think thats being pretty quick.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you say grenade.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

You are taking a chance that it could grenade on the line or worse, throw an axle out the side while moving. I can tell you though that I am running 600hp in my Nova with a 8.2 GM 10 bolt. I have a mini spool and a set of good gears in it and it is set up perfectly. I take it apart usually after a weekend of running at the strip and inspect everything just to see how it is faring. To make it safe, I would go and get a set of good axles, preferably c-clip eliminators therefore if it does break it won't send the axle out the side of the car(seen that before, not pretty). I am on borrowed time until I get the axles, even moreso is you as you will have more power.

I have been lucky with mine, the only thing that has gone wrong was launching on nitrous and blowing every tooth off the brand new Richmond 4.56 ring and pinion. Yet nothing else broke(luck).

You can bullet proof your 10 bolt but will take money or get a 12 bolt laying around and build it.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Teching In

That was the other option I was looking at.. the 12 bolt swap... from what I understand they are pretty simple.. and really they are not that hard to come by..

Does anyone know what 12 bolts are a direct fit? or would I have to just buy it then modify it to fit?
If so.. what kind of modifications would be involved with that? Is it just a simple matter of buying new axles to make it fit?

Thanks for the input guys!!

~KC
Old 11-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joewee350
If funds are limited then why not settle for 600hp and use the rest to get a better rear. You will be able to get better times with better traction.
Well the motor is already done... so the numbers are what they are...

I have also been considering a mini tub.. but that is just more money that I dont have right now... and I dont know the first thing about actually doing a tub!
Old 11-09-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kc-unit
Does anyone know what 12 bolts are a direct fit?
~KC
Moser and Strange make bolt in units. Check out the site sponsors and see what you can do.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:59 AM
On The Tree

Mini tubbing isn't hard, did mine myself with a sawzall, an air grinder, the cheapest mig welder from sears and some sheetmetal from home depot. Just some time and researching on the web allowed me 4 inches more clearance per side. BTW never done it myself before either or seen anybody do it. Just researched a lot on the net.

12 bolt options-
1. You can buy a 12 bolt set up ready to bolt in just add fluid- minimal work involved
2. You can measure your 10 bolt and try to find a 12 bolt with same measurements, depending on what you find, may have to modify and cut and modify plus order or cut new axles.-most work involved, MAY be cheaper depending on how much work you can do yourself.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:38 AM
Teching In

sweet!

I think I am going to just see how long it lasts... say some prayers and borrow some time!

Then WHEN it does take a poo poo hope it doesn't take anythink else with it... and just go with a 9" or a moser set up... time will tell!

Thanks for everyones input!
~KC

Quick Reply: 650 hp and a stock 10 bolt?