Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

1986 IROC question v-belt question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1986 IROC question v-belt question

My brother bought an 86 IROC that has a 350 with a carburator(old school engine) that had been built and installed in the car, the thing is the car gets very hot for one and throws belts like crazy(old V-belt system) We can't really seem to figure out why it is doing so bad, it has two large electric fans on the radiator (one on both sides) one pushing and one pulling air. I'm guessing if we could see as to why it is throwing the belt and keep that fixed then the cooling would be better as well. Anyone is welcome to shine some light on this subject. It would be appreciated.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

make sure the pulleys are lined up real good, and make sure the belt is tight. test it in park with some rpm and make sure there isnt alot of slack in the belt. if that fails go buy some deep groove pulleys and new belts.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Launching!

An '86 IROC never came with a 350. My bet is one of your pulleys is either from the original 350 setup or the original 305. The problem is figuring out which pulley is wrong and why.

You other overheating problem, this is my $.02. You should have just the fan behind the radiator. Pushing and pulling is wrong. The other cheap fix would be to change over to a clutch fan. (not better or high performance but cheap and works) If you’re overheating quickly you probably have a different problem.

I would work towards an OEMish setup and have everything working right then make the car fast and modifications. Atleast you will be working towards a goal instead of just guessing/changing parts. The junkyard would be a good source to achieve your base line. A 305 and a 350 aren’t different in theory for the accessories; year-to-year engines can have different stuff though. The worst for fixing problems is mix and match. The other key is if the computer is still hooked up and working.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take off the pusher fan in front of the radiator and your cooling issue will be solved I bet. Some of the things people do these days, lol......

Throwing belts could be attributed to a misaligned, worn or wobbling pulley. Could also be the wrong belt.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

so no need for the fan in front, hell I haven't even checked to see if the one on the back is pulling, the guy could've connected the thing up wrong!!!! All these pullies are chromed and look like they came from a kit or something, except for the power steering, and this of course is just a pre TPI series 350, probably came form an older Camaro or pickup, just about anything that came with one. Everything looks like it lines up perfect, that has been checked. Not too keen on this stuff really, but could the thrown belt be caused because a pulley is not turning good for some unknown reason, like maybe a bad water pump, which is supposed to be new, let me tell ya, the guy that built this car didn't know much appearantly, he didn't even believe he needed a thermostat because there was no heater on the car????!!!!!?!! My brother put a standard 195 degree stat in it, but there still is something to the belts and cooling issue i think, but will try the front fan delete also. Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

one more thing I was thinking is to take a serpentine system off of just about anything 4.3, 305, 307, 350, 400 based , etc etc...that had it and see if that worked, which I guess it would, but doesn't his heads need to have 3 bolt-holes in the front on both of them, his passenger side only has one. It's just a thought, but like I said before, I don't know a whole lot about this stuff.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

anyone?...................
Old 07-25-2007, 11:11 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Use only a serpentine system off another v8 camaro, the others are too wide, that will solve you belt issue, you will need the water pump too, as for the over heating issue, do you have a t-stat? I have run with and without, it is allways better with a 180 stat, without and with 165 it would over heat while not moving fast, and yea, i also has some mexican i bought my car from had the "pusher" not pushing but pulling so the fans were not doing squat till i fixed the outside fan. Good luck, i just used my last serp setup on my 86 TA.

Quick Reply: 1986 IROC question v-belt question