Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Northwest Alabama

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 6SSPEED
Why not just ls1 swap it then spray it. WOOOOOOOPAAAAAAA
if i had the room it would have a lsx in it.the 4.3 has a **** ton of power in a 2000lb rig though.why you so against spray?havnt you ever wanted to be the first one to cross the finish line you think a h/c car makes power,i had 550rwtq on a 150 shot on a bone stock 143k mile ls1,through the 35 spline 9in in 100+ degree heat.show me a h/c stock bottom end car that has those numbers.as you no tq whens races hp is just for dick swinging.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DButler
First off Jared it is Shane Stacks and he runs in the 4's on radials lol I am looking for a FAST fuel injection system for my car or Holley. If anyone runs across harnesses, tb, injectors and such let me know. I am tired of dealing with this carb stuff. I can change intake to fit sbc.

yeah Stacks car doesn't play around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bozJg...gWCATAN707m9fw

he went 4.30s on the night but that was for the money in the 10.5 Outlaw class at I-22 against Mike Jones
Old 01-12-2012, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 30th6
if i had the room it would have a lsx in it.the 4.3 has a **** ton of power in a 2000lb rig though.why you so against spray?havnt you ever wanted to be the first one to cross the finish line you think a h/c car makes power,i had 550rwtq on a 150 shot on a bone stock 143k mile ls1,through the 35 spline 9in in 100+ degree heat.show me a h/c stock bottom end car that has those numbers.as you no tq whens races hp is just for dick swinging.
"havent you ever wanted to be the first one to cross the finish line"
Old 01-13-2012, 04:39 PM
10 Second Club

Hey if any of you boys like Hunting, Fishing, Guns, Boats, ETC ETC check out our new Alabama based outdoor forum. We talk about everything. Lots of gun talk and even racing too.

www.MyAlabamaOutdoors.com
Old 01-14-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=30th6;15828519]Why you so against spray?/[
QUOTE]

I'm against spray for three reasons....
1. Anybody can hookup a nitrous kit to a stock motor and call it fast. That takes no skill whatsoever.
2. The damage nitrous causes when something fails is never pretty and quite costly.
3. Instead of filling the bottle over and over again, just spend that money on building the motor/car to be better, stronger, faster.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Teching In

I can take care of number 2 for you... get with someone who tunes for nitrous... a properly tuned nitrous car, is going to be as reliable as your blower, turbo, or H/C car... the LS1s have held up to 100+ shot for 50,000+ miles on the stock internals... and not just a hand full, MOST of the nitrous fed cars... as far as taking "skill" that is completely debatable... but the old saying is run what you brung for a reason

to debate that would be the same as debating a 6-speed manual vs a stalled automatic... you can sit back and say "a manual takes more skill" and that is true... but you don't want to meet a stalled automatic on the tree with the same mods as your M6, lol...

as far as cost, for a properly setup nitrous kit, i'm talking with the window switches in place, purge, bottle mount, bottle heater, etc. less than $1500... its going to take A LOT of fill ups to pay for a TVS blower(or Vortec, Procharger, or whatever) and the supporting mods needed for that... for a turbo or S/c setup you're looking at $7,000-8,000 EASILY... for the same 150whp you can get from a bottle for a fraction of the cost, there is no denying that

sure you can run out of nitrous, but if you go through a single bottle of nitrous in a night.... well, if you are racing that much, your car isn't going to last if its N/A, nitrous, blown, or whatever, because you are racing the **** out of it... I present the evidence, this is how hard it is to use 10lbs of nitrous in a single night, lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNXh2x2p1_0

in other news, I got some stuff ordered for the car this morning, so hopefully I can hit mid-12s or so when I return to Steele

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; 01-15-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't comment on joe's quote to start some nutswingin debate. I'm simply stating facts.

If somebody wants to run spray then go ahead but don't start makin up excuses when an all motor car does work.

If Steve Stack is runnin in the 4's then he must have put an ls1 into that monte carlo.

Last edited by 6SSPEED; 01-15-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Teching In

except none of those 3 are facts... they are opinions, lol

the one that is closest to a fact is #2... but the carnage caused by a connecting rod breaking, etc. on a N/A build isn't exactly pretty or cheap either...

for a H/C car to last, it won't be on the stock internals either, or you are playing with fire... therefore, the cost associated with changing to diamond pistons, getting Eagle Rods, getting a stouter crank, etc... the same that could be added to a Nitrous car for added reliability... in the end, you're going to pay $1500 for a set of heads, another $850 for a cam, valve springs, lifters, and pushrods... for an extra 100-150whp... the FACT is a bottle can get you those same numbers a lot cheaper, now that is a fact

and not to mention you can get in a 550whp Nitrous car and drive it to Vegas and back and get the same driveability as the day it came off the showroom floor... a H/C LS1, whiles its a performer, not the best daily driver or frequently driven street car...

its all in what you want, but if your idea of a car is one with a cracked dash from the constant loping of a cam, that has a new found rattle every other day, etc.. then hey, its your car, do as you please... that isn't my idea of a car

and that is why I would go nitrous or boosted... you get the power, while keeping it daily driver properties... forced induction isn't cheap by any means when talking about a blower... but with these modern blowers that do not offer a constant building of psi, you can strap them on and GAIN fuel economy.... that is also a fact... the words gaining fuel economy have never been used after the statement new heads and a cam

now if I wanted fuel economy, i'd have bought a Honda but I don't exactly want 10mpg either not when I can make those numbers and keep my 19mpg

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; 01-15-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=6SSPEED;15839559]
Originally Posted by 30th6
Why you so against spray?/[
QUOTE]

I'm against spray for three reasons....
1. Anybody can hookup a nitrous kit to a stock motor and call it fast. That takes no skill whatsoever.
2. The damage nitrous causes when something fails is never pretty and quite costly.
3. Instead of filling the bottle over and over again, just spend that money on building the motor/car to be better, stronger, faster.
ok
1. There is some skill to hooking up and tuning nitrous,you have to read plugs,set your fpss,no exactly how much fuel pressure your running for jet sizes,know exactly how much your kit will support(i found that out the hard way).and that doesnt even count all the complicated wiring to the fuel throttle switch,fpss,window switch,bottle heater ect.
after you get all that out of the way you have to then get a tuner you trust not to blow your **** skyhigh.
2. This is true but like stated above nitrous is safe as long as the tune on the n20 side and the computer tune is right.not to bring up old **** but beams h/c car had a failure.So h/c cars can also have unexpected failure.
3.The bottles are about 25 bucks to refill so you could refill your bottle like 2800 times for the 7k price tag off f/i,and i agree if i had a **** tone of money where i could build a "race motor" i may not put nitrous on it but i probley still would because its a huge hp/tq maker.Some of the fastest street cars around here have 20-30 thousand dollar motors still run 400+ shots.
To each his own about what you wanna run but for 80% of people n20 is the only way to go on street cars.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Teching In

I bet he finds himself making excuses when someone brings the bottle more times than the other way around
Old 01-15-2012, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking trash with a 13 second car is not a good idea on this website. You will get your feelings hurt real fast.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Teching In

doesn't mean I don't know what makes fast and what doesn't, everyone has to start somewhere with their car, and if you're starting with a 4th gen Ls1 or 5th Gen, you're starting with a 13 second car... I've never argued that Head/Cam cars aren't fast, they most def. are... but if you want to argue "reliability" against a blown or nitrous setup with a h/c car... its a losing battle... that doesn't mean there aren't nitrous or blower horror stories, there are... but nitrous itself is not the culprit, bad tuning is

it also doesn't mean I don't know what a fact is and whats an opinion

you want to mention my "13 second car," I was quite happy with my car running pretty much stock as well considering i'm fairly sure an x-pipe and muffler delete added almost nothing, 8.50s through the 1/8th pretty much stock? that isn't anything to be upset about

and i'm probably about to get in the 7s with an additional 2 mods(well actually one part and a tune, both of which will be on the car by the end of the week), it'll be close... it'll definitely be a 12 second car, the tune alone adds 5-6 1/10ths and that isn't a joke

once these cars get above 425whp, you got to start worrying about the IRS... but the fact of the matter is, you can get to 415whp with bolt-ons and put them in the 11s

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; 01-15-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Why don't we move all this bench racing to the street like old days.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Amen!!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Can I say something here?!? Not stepping on toes.....

1. This talking **** is for the birds.

2. Who gives a **** what's under the hood. You wanna run, run. Put that bitch to work on the track and/or street.

3. Everyone knows that a stalled car can kill you on the tree. Buuuuuuutttttt, I would put my pro shifted TKO up against any stalled car on the tree.

4. Talking about how fast you "want" to run, and how fast you "are" running is also for the birds. Show us, don't tell us.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris06GT
Can I say something here?!? Not stepping on toes.....

1. This talking **** is for the birds.

2. Who gives a **** what's under the hood. You wanna run, run. Put that bitch to work on the track and/or street.

3. Everyone knows that a stalled car can kill you on the tree. Buuuuuuutttttt, I would put my pro shifted TKO up against any stalled car on the tree.

4. Talking about how fast you "want" to run, and how fast you "are" running is also for the birds. Show us, don't tell us.
Heller?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99slobird
Heller?
Heller?!?

Old 01-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Teching In

its definitely run what you brung... always has been always will be... my car is still slow, i'll be the 1st to admit that... I just always got a laugh out of people saying nitrous isn't "real" horsepower, especially when we just saw them get pulled by bus lengths by the bottle, which by my eyes was most definitely real... back when Nitrous was absolutely dominating Top Fuel you didn't see the blower guys yelling to the camera after the race "that isn't real horsepower"

I don't care if its nitrous, S/c, N/A, or a combination... fast is fast, who cares how you got there...

besides if there was no talking of trash, these car forums would be dead, lol... as dead as the car scene in the Shoals, lol

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; 01-16-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

I say this weekend lets meet up if it don't rain or four foot of snow on the ground and run what you brung and hope you brought enough.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Teching In

got a little software update tonight... now if Texas Speed will get off their *** and send me my stuff... ordered Saturday, still hasn't shipped

then we'll update the software again, lol

the 6L80E is bad *** when tuned though, tuning it makes the whole tune, a tune on a L99 doesn't give but about 20whp... but there is a reason over a half second is gained through the 1/4 tune only, lol....its not the whp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noxyoS5wa7c

they picked up almost a half a second and 4mph... I ran a little faster than them pre-tune

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; 01-17-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Northwest Alabama