Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Anyone heard of a GMMG made WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone heard of a GMMG made WS6?

And I'm not talking about the BlackBird. I am buying a 2001 WS6, but it's not converted by ASC. It was originally purchased from Carl Black in Alpharetta/Roswell where I live, and they did a few things with these cars back then. It's just a normal T/A that CB sent off to GMMG for the WS6 upgrades. Anyhow, it has GMMG build # 0071 listed on the WS6 options sheet that comes with the car...so I'm assuming there's more out there.

What I don't understand is how Pontiac would let the dealership just create their own WS6s...??? How many people do you think bought these cars without realizing it was not a factory optioned WS6 (ASC converted)? I'm OK with it cause mine looks sweet, it's in perfect condition, & it's a good deal for the car.

Anyways, the car is Maple Red Metallic which didn't even come as a WS6 in 2001...so this may be as close as I could get to a MRM WS6.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is no such thing as a WS6 option sheet, there are no options,

look on the door sticker, it is either a WS6 or not, im guessing not.

Sounds like a unique car though, i love that color

Ryan
Old 07-16-2004, 08:57 AM
FormerVendor

Call GMMG.... They can tell ya all about it
Old 07-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

I will have to give them a ring...did they do anything different?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.gmmginc.net/html/blackbird.html
Old 07-20-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

My sister has a 2000 model one. I believe its build# 0031 if remember correctly. Bought it as a Trans Am from a Pontiac dealer in Ga and had it shipped there for the WS6 conversion. They upgraded the suspension to the bilestein (sp?) shocks/strust and BFG CompTA ZR1 tires/17" WS6 wheels and catback/tips. This was all done through the dealer. we actually got to pick up the car from them though. First time i met Matt Murphy. (this was also back when it was still MTI (right before the change)

Looking at my factory WS6 and hers...they look identical. only real diff is the RPO code on the door. they also use all GM parts and everything was covered under the original warranty.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've got a Formula that was bought from Carl Black, that was actually a special edition. GMMG has built 6 of these cars AFAIK. Very Interested in hearing what you find out.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

I'll attempt to attach a scan of the options list that CB sold with this car and it details that the car was upgraded by GMMG. Fortunately, the owner kept all records, so I have this and the original sticker. (Sorry if the quality is poor)

On a side note, a friend of mine works at Honda in Roswell...they just had one of these GMMG WS6s (2001) come through on a trade-in. Some guy bought, then he found out it's not a factory WS6, and wants to bring it back. I figured that would happen at some point.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone heard of a GMMG made WS6?-ws6-options.jpg  
Old 07-21-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Whats funny is really....whats the diff between saying a GMMG WS6 and a ASCD WS6. Its all about the RPO sticker.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Well, to be honest...I wasn't all too sure about this car b/c of the RPO missing. I got over it since it was bought new that way.

For my car, I put "GMMG" in my sig to clarify that it isn't ASC WS6 - because they did not produce a maple red metallic WS6. ASC had paint matching problems with the hood...from my understanding.

Also, ASC - 2001 WS6 #0071 may lurk on this board, he/she would want to know why I claim to have their car... j/k.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BLKWS6
Whats funny is really....whats the diff between saying a GMMG WS6 and a ASCD WS6. Its all about the RPO sticker.
its about the same difference between a matching numbers, and a non matching number 1969 camaro

30 years from now, either, 1 of 2 things will happen.

the GMMG cars will be worth a small fortune, as they made other cars like the blackbird and the ZL1 too and may be wanted by collectors. See yenko camaros now.

or the GMMG WS6 will be worthless, and worth the same as any other Trans Am where the WS6 cars could be bringing a premium.

hard to say, and a gamble, the only way i would buy one of them, is in a color not available on a real ws6, and new.

Ryan
Old 07-22-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Back in 00 I was actually looking at getting a maple red T/A. When I decided to buy a WS6 I was a bit disapointed in the fact that they werent made in maple red. Instead I ended up getting the best color available on the WS6 in 00.

I still like that color but Im happy with mine. Not too often that I actually see a maple red anything (Camaro or Firebird) in good condition. Most of the ones I see are so dull that its just sad.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

how do you know on the RPO if its a GMMG or an ASCD.

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of a GMMG made WS6?