Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

ZL1 replica

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZL1 replica

Here goes my first post! I just joined, but have been around the board for a few month's and have already learned alot from reading other's experiences. With that said I wanted to get some opinions on what would be necessary to make a Z28 into a ZL1 replica. Also, how difficult would it be to locate the necessary parts. I would like to build a ZL1 replica in the next year...so I need some help and opinions on how I can get there. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-02-2004, 02:17 PM

Anyone? Is it possible to make a Z28 appear to be a ZL1? Are the parts available to do so or not?
Old 08-07-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

I would think anything is possible..
The only thing you would be missing is the name "GMMG". The rest of the stuff could be bought through aftermarket shops.

Good luck with it!
Old 08-08-2004, 01:05 AM
12 Second Club

Which "Stage" ZL1 are you looking at? A stage 1 package has a "stock" LS6 engine putting out a rated 400 hp. Stage 2 has the same LS6 engine, but a more agressive cam, some head work, LTs and is putting out a rated 475 HP. The Stage 3 package is a 427 C5R race block with all the goodies putting out a rated 600 HP.

These engines are available, but will be pretty expensive. As far as appearance, the ZL1s came out with Chrome Z06 wheels along with specific ZL1 badging.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:44 PM

The way I want to do it is to make the car look as much like the phase III ZL1 as possible. I plan on putting a 402 stroker with all the goodies in the car. From what I have read this project seems plausible. Any suggestions on where I can track down some of the cosmetic like the grill? I know the ZL1 badges are a no go, but are the other items available? Thanks for the help!
Old 08-12-2004, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The grill is from stull ind. Gunmetal - W/ the bowtie put on it.
Its got zo6 calipers, rotors and pads.
18 x 9.5 zo6 rims, but also can be ordered w/ TT 2’s
Goodyear eagle 275 40’s
Phase III stripes can be duplicated.
Stock 10 bolt w/ 4:10’s
Stock t-56 w/ spec flywheel, stock clutch
1 7/8 headers, qtp cutout, gmmg chambered exhaust
flat black tail panel, gmmg badge, berger badge
white face gauges w/ zl1 logo
carbon fiber air lid, w/ zl1 sticker
mobile 1 oil only sticker on pass. Side wheel well
get hellen gibb to sign and date pass side wheel well
hounds tooth interior,
6 point cage (optional, 25 ordered with)
Wilson alum manifold w/ zl1 427ci phase III and build no. cast in
Eiback springs, penske shocks, 1le swaybar ect.
And the zl1 badges.

95% obtainable stuff – except the badges, signatures, and the custom manifold.
Stickers can be made cheep
I saw a berger badge on ebay months ago.
Do these things, push about 500 at the wheels and you’ll be in.
Some people don’t like replicas, I have a fake 71 motion camaro, If anyone wants
To say **** about, tell them to by you a real one for 120,000!

Did you see the new super camaro coming next, the henry gibb 427ci z28 rig.

I was on the list for the hotrod addition camaro, but for the money I decided to make my own supercar, so I did a 02 Twin Turbo SS. 575 at the wheels and no regrets.

http://www.01pewterz28.cz28.com/zl1.html
Old 08-12-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I Say Go For It All The Way Man And Send Us Some Pics When U Get Done Cause Im Sure We All Want To See A Wicked Ride Like That By The Way Ttssz That One Bad Azz Ss I Saved It On My Fav Pic Of Ss If I Ever Get My Camera Working Right Im Gonna Post My Gmmg Phase 2 435 Hp Bird On Here Bird On Here But Yea rowin Gearz Go For It And Let Us See Some Pics When You Get Done ........latr
Old 08-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Cloning is the high form of Flattery! Go for it!

Just don't try to sell it as a ZL1
Old 08-13-2004, 06:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CULATR
I Say Go For It All The Way Man And Send Us Some Pics When U Get Done Cause Im Sure We All Want To See A Wicked Ride Like That By The Way Ttssz That One Bad Azz Ss I Saved It On My Fav Pic Of Ss If I Ever Get My Camera Working Right Im Gonna Post My Gmmg Phase 2 435 Hp Bird On Here Bird On Here But Yea rowin Gearz Go For It And Let Us See Some Pics When You Get Done ........latr
Have you ever heard of PUNCTUATION or run-on sentences??? My eyes hurt.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSG--Z28
Have you ever heard of PUNCTUATION or run-on sentences??? My eyes hurt.
its called being a motorhead, not a school teacher.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Teching In

[b]sorry When I Get To Talking About Cars I Get Wild And Careless
....my Bad ..!
Old 08-16-2004, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2fst4u
[b]sorry When I Get To Talking About Cars I Get Wild And Careless
....my Bad ..!

Thats ok me too, I really ment the DICK HARRELL 427ci camaro, that is NICER the the zl1. man If I bought a 427 zl1 and then found out it was out done by yet another super camaro, I would want my cash back. It comes w/ 650hp, a 12 bolt rear, rollcage, and 13" fikse w/ 335/30 meats out back.
(see Im just jelous of you zl1 dudes, and Im trying to make you feel what us regular camaro owners go through when we see your zl1's)
like this.... then
have you guys seen it yet on the cover of chevy h.p. - Its a take off of the penski/donohue #6 retro proto type.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Well, yes my first intial thought was that they made one better than the ZL1, but the dick harrell orginal cars were faster than the ZL1 of old.

By choice I kept my ZL1 instead of getting a Dick Harrell car. I think the value of the Zl1 will stay above the DH cars. First they still haven't sold them out and second the are a dealer car and not a GM product like the ZL1 is. THe DH cars are like the Hot Rod, Berger SS and other dealer only cars.

With that said: My opinion of the DH cars is this.

AWESOME. I would love to have those fenders on my SS.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Just nice to talk to someone w/ a real zl1. I hope you know how lucky you are. And I wish I had a real baldwin motion camaro.
Dident they make a 02 'motion' zl1? somewhere I saw a pick w/ one that said motion and another w/ nicky camaro on the side.
Enjoy.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

YELLOWHAMMER YOU GOT A TOTALLY AWESOME ZL1, MAN THAT'S NICE... ONE OF THE NICEST RIGHT UP THERE WITH A YENKO OWYEA !! DEFF YOU GOT A NICE RIDE ..............LATR
Old 08-17-2004, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Yellowhammer, were you on the '03 power tour with the whole ZL1 and Hot Rod Camaro group from up north?
Old 08-22-2004, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TTSSZ
Just nice to talk to someone w/ a real zl1. I hope you know how lucky you are. And I wish I had a real baldwin motion camaro.
Dident they make a 02 'motion' zl1? somewhere I saw a pick w/ one that said motion and another w/ nicky camaro on the side.
Enjoy.
I know Berger was working with GMMG on a Baldwin Motion Camaro after they sold out the ZL1s, but the last I heard (this was about a year ago) they couldn't get an agreement in place to use the name. I speculate they gave up on it in favor of the Supercar Camaros. I know they were gathering up all the new B4C Camaros they could find for another project, since the ZL1 program was so successful.

Yellowhammer, what do you mean by citing a difference between the dealer cars (Hotrod + Berger SS + Tom Henry SS) and the ZL1s? It was my understanding all of them are aftermarket cars modded by GMMG (not the same as GM). ZL1s are no more an GM product than the others, unless I am mistaken.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

The ZL1, the Dick Harrel, Hot Rod, Blackbird, and a few others, are all done by GMMG. check out their web site.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh, and the COPO camaros with the 427 didn't sell out in 69.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:02 AM
Launching!

CULTR = Thanks!

Phoenix57 = No that wasn't me. I think it was Larry (the one on the magazine in Bristol)

ArrestmeRed = The ZL1 is the equalvilant (sp??) as the 96/97 Z28 SS built by SLP. We ordered the ZL1 through a Chevrolet dealership with option for the ZL1 package.

Scott Settlemeir (Sp??) ordered the 69 B4C cars from the factory and all 69 were built within 2 week time frame. Then all sent to GMMG to build the conversion. My understanding of what Matt told me was that they all are documented GM ZL1's.

CamminBeast would be able to qualify things a bit. Tell me I am right or wrong. Please tell me I am right or wrong. I don't want to be miss-informing anyone.

I don't think the Bergers, Hot Rods, and Blackbirds or the Dick Harrels car have that documentation. Those are dealer conversion cars.

All the Dick Harrell Camaros were bought off other chevy lots. That is why you can get ttops, converts or hardtop models.

The ZL1, phase 1, has a full GM warranty on all parts at any Gm dealer. If you are brave enough to take you car to a GM dealer to get worked on. I will be sending mine to GMMG if needed be.

Quick Reply: ZL1 replica