Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Another production number question (NHRA SE, and Pontiac 75th Anniversary)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another production number question (NHRA SE, and Pontiac 75th Anniversary)

I have tried looking all over but cant really find anything. I am looking for a 2001 NHRA formula hardtop with a 6-speed. From what I've been finding that 2001 is a tough year to find. Also I was wondering my car doesnt have a keyless entry or factory alarm. All my friends have them in their camaro's, trans am's, and formula's. Is that right that i dont have one?
Old 01-28-2005, 07:14 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post NHRA Special Edition Information, Part 1

Ah, another special edition without a lot of information available on it! Since there's (no longer?) any centralized source for this information, here's everything I found... A lot of this stuff is from the ls1.com NHRA forum, but I'm linking to the Google cache copies of the pages because for some reason I'm no longer able to view the pages at ls1.com without registering. Some of the ls1.com guys tried to start up an NHRA club, and it had a website at nhrafirebirds.com, but it shut down due to not getting enough member fees - in May 2004, iirc. Anyway....

http://www.mdgglobal.com/USSpecialEd...AFB/NHRAFB.htm
  • Photos of, and order form for, the emblems/keychain stuff

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/n...x.cfm/id/20666
  • Information about the package:
    NHRA Special Edition Pkg.
    Formula/Tran AM w/6-speed - Retail price: $1,095 , Invoice price: $975
    Formula/Tran AM w/automatic - Retail price: $1,070 , Invoice price: $952
    Contains: Power-steering-fluid cooler, Hurst shifter (6-speed), rear performance axle (automatic), 245/50R16 performance tires, chrome alloy wheels.

http://community.webshots.com/album/30608264ClGnQkiBjh
  • Photos of a Black 2001 Firebird Trans Am NHRA Edition

http://www.rivercityf-bodies.com/for...?threadid=2004
  • 02SETA quotes an email from GM: "In 2000 there was a total of 215 NHRA Firebirds produced. In 2001 there was only 145 produced and in 2002 there were 535 produced. The total number produced is 895. Unfortunately, we are not aware of the reason why so many were produced in the last year of the firebird production."
  • 02SETA says "Yes the NHRA SE was available in either the Formula or the TA, only 4 colors though, Red, Pewter, White and Black. The rarest is a few Formula Convertable NHRA SE models with like maybe 15 of them. My black with M6 TA is one of 234, yet still trying to confirm that nuber. I think it is a bit high even for 2002."

https://ls1tech.com/forums/special-edition-vehicles/58648-nhra-1sh-option-code.html
  • 'NHRA T/A' says regarding what made the NHRA editions different: "Basically it comes with PS cooler(which all '02's have now), GSC's on 16". The autos came with 3.23's and 6 speeds came with the default 3.42. Nothing really execpt for the really cool badges."

https://ls1tech.com/forums/special-edition-vehicles/212266-nhra-special-edition-formula.html
  • Nine Ball says "It was only a badge appearance package. No performance add-ons." and "Just some package that NHRA approved for Pontiac to sell. I believe the Firebird was NHRA's "official car" for that year. Most NHRA national events had a couple NHRA edition Formulas sitting in the spectator area as advertisements."
  • DarkFormula says "In addition to the appearance mods, they did come with performance mods as well. NHRA cars that were A4 got the 3.23s versus the 2.73s and A4/M6 both got a cooler of some sort (not the biggest mods, but whatever). There's a guy in my club with one, and I know he has more details."
  • NHRAFORMULA00 says "it was a commemerative edition from pontiac to the nhra to help celebrate the nhra's 50 year anniversary, and also pontiac being a major sponsor of thr nhra for many many years, as a thank you, or a tribute to them."
  • Thunder175 says "What really makes the NHRA's unique is the small number of cars produced with that option code (1SH). It is indeed a rare Firebird with only about 800 built over three years of production (2000-2002). Of those, 543 were built in 2002. You could only get NHRAs in white, black, pewter, or red. I have never seen a white NHRA though. Also, when you ordered a Formula / Trans Am, you had a choice between the WS6 or NHRA package. It was either or, and they could not be combined. My NHRA is one of of the 543 produced in 2002. And of that total my car 1 of only 136 NHRA Trans Am coupes built with a 6 speed. " and "All I have ever seen for information about the NHRA's are broken into total production, Trans Am versus Formula breakdown, A4 and M6 numbers, and t-tops vs. verts. No color break down unfortunetly."
  • y2k_ta says "Pontiac has been the Official Car of the NHRA since Oldsmobile's departure as Official Car at the end of the 1995 Season. Yes, I can remember seeing a few NHRA-Edition Firebirds at the Pontiac Display in the Manufacturer's Midway."

https://ls1tech.com/forums/special-edition-vehicles/189348-whats-nhra-firebird.html
  • Bird_Of_Prey says "The package is RPO 1SH. That gives you the emblems, performance rear axle if auto, power steering cooler, key fobs, and Z rated tires. Not much really special, but had VERY low production. My 2000 is 1 of 97 Formula's."
  • Thunder175 says "The NHRA's were only built over a three year span, from 2000 to 2002. They were built in very limited numbers, as only a 892 were built over those three years. 2002 had the biggest production run, producing 543 of the NHRAs. I own a red 02 NHRA TA btw..."
  • Brandon_TA says "I own a Black 02 NHRA Trans AM. THey come with 3.23's where as the base TA's come with 2.73's i think."
  • Thunder175 says "All M6 TA's have 3.42s. The A4's had either 2.73's or 3.23's if I recall correctly..."

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache.../t-173609.html
  • Buzzin'Cuzzin' posts an ls1.com owners list... here is the version from Oct 24, 2002:
    NHRASE00: 00 Pewter TA A4
    parnlyp: 00 Pewter TA M6
    nhraformula: 00 Black Formula A4
    NHRAFORMULA00: 00 Pewter Formula A4
    Powerstroke3302: 00 Pewter TA A4
    Dano 00TA: 00 Pewter TA A4
    Kartracer35: 00 Pewter TA A4 WS6
    MOJO1: 00 Black Formula A4
    TransamRick: 01 Black TA Conv. A4
    NHRATA01: 01 Black TA M6
    Bohdi: 01 Red Formula M6
    chandiv: 01 Black TA M6
    Scanlamp: 01 Black Formula M6
    CarolSR: 01 Black TA A4
    Kman320: 01 Pewter TA WS6 A4
    '00 SS #7549: 01 Pewter TA M6
    BlkBird01NHRA: 01 Black TA M6
    Junk151: 02 Black TA A4
    Buzzin'Cuzzin': 02 Red TA M6
    caschat: 02 Pewter TA M6
    NHRA TA: 02 Black TA M6
    Zoomer02: 02 Red TA A4
    2002nhraformula: 02 Red Formula A4
    NO202: 02 Black Formula M6
    FORMULA NHRA: 02 Black Formula M6
    dmraco: 02 Black TA M6
    carystransam: 02 Pewter TA M6
    Marty D.D.: 02 Black TA M6
    2002 Road Rage: 02 Black TA M6
    jcapp: 02 Black Formula M6
    02NHRA: 02 Black TA M6

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=www.l.../t-194760.html
  • '2002 Road Rage' says regarding whether all NHRA editions came with the emblems, "Not all dealers install the NHRA emblems. It still may be a NHRA Special Edition! The one sure way to check is to look at the Dealer Code Sticker (inside the drivers-side door). If you see a "1SH" code in there, then it is a NHRA car."
  • carystransam says "My factory tires are GS-C Goodyear Eagles P245/50ZR16 performance on 16" Chromed Aluminum Wheels. Remember folks, my 1SH factory option NHRA SE pkg. 02 T/A had no dealer installed badges. However, upon showing the window sticker to the dealership they ordered the badging kit [from] MDG."
  • 'Marty D.D.' says "The NHRA option is only available on Trans Am and Formula models in either red, black, pewter, and white. None of us have seen nor heard of a white one yet. This option has been removed from the Pontiac web site but may still be available. The main difference is that the car has the performance package installed, electric control package, 6-way power drivers seat, security package, leather interior, 16x8" chrome performance rims with Goodyear GSC 245/z50 tires, positrak rearend (part of performance package), hurst shifter, and the real telltale - a power steering cooler."
  • '2002 Road Rage' says "I just checked... my NHRA car came with P245/50ZR16 Performance tires. It also says that on the window sticker. ... Also Marty... do our NHRA cars really have positrack? I thought they just have limited slip?"
  • nhraformula says "i've seen a white nhra t/a around here in downtown chicago a few times."
  • BLUSTREAK says "all of them came with the LSD (limited Slip differential)... the NHRA wasn't given anything special like you could order with the Fiewhawk... Torsen is what we get for 99-02 and was optional for 98... Auburn was standard for 98 and optional for 99-02 (SLP only)."
  • 'Marty D.D.' says "True they only came with limited slip torsen differential. As to the WS6, no that was not to be allowed per the NHRA request. Yet one can add anything to there cars. For example one could have ordered a WS6 TA and asked to have the NHRA option added, they would have refused to add that option. My dealer said why do you want a NHRA when you have a WS6. If you ask for a NHRA option and asked to have the WS6 package added, they would say why do you want that this would no longer be a NHRA se car. On the other had you could ask to have the items added yet not change the badging or car id codes. That is what I believe some did. I have considered changing the hood with a ram air type, but I personally would not add the WS6 badging but could if I added the suspension package as well, for that is all the WS6 is."

continued...
Old 01-28-2005, 07:15 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Post NHRA Special Edition Information, Part 2

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache.../t-309144.html
  • '2002 Road Rage' says "The NHRA option added $1,070 - $1,095 to the sticker price and included (but not limited to) the following: Hurst manual 6-speed (3.42 ratio) or automatic transmission (3.23 ratio), power-steering cooling, P245/50ZR16 performance tires, and NHRA-specific badges & keychain. The appeal of the 1SH option package (NHRA Special Edition) is parallel to the appeal of any "anniversary edition" car or "special pace car edition." It is a special designation to commemorate the NHRA drag racing series. To my understanding, you can order the Hurst shifter, special tires, and maybe even the power steering cooling system seperately, or you can just order the 1SH package and get it all included. It is simply a designation to celebrate Pontiac's involvement in the NHRA. The most attractive feature of this pakage is the low production numbers. Definite collector's car. No performance gains over any other T/A, but that little NHRA badge on the side really turns heads."
  • 'Marty D.D.' says "Nothing special except that it was a 50 year aniversary with Pontiac and NHRA as a sponsor. Ever go to a track and not see a NHRA track and not see a Pontiac logo, not. Well this is what they asked for from Pontiac, it was to offer a car with the NHRA badging to show that they are partners in racing."
  • BlkBird01NHRA says "119 Formula and Trans Am vehicles produced in the year 2000, 143 produced in 2001, and 534 produced in 2002."
  • BlkBird01NHRA says regarding getting replacements for missing badges, "First off is the car under warrenty? If so then take it to the dealership and have them order the badges as they are a warrenty item. If the car isn't under the warrenty anymore then ya might still try going to the dealer - I'm not sure on what the warrenty period is for the badging. If that all fails and you want the badging and keychain - go to Morgan Design Group's web addy and you can order the badges from them direct. http://www.mdgglobal.com/mainpage.html . I just went to thier site and the badging warrenty is 5 year/60k mile.I'd print the web page and take it with the car to a dealer and have them order the whole kit for ya."

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache.../t-120304.html
  • 'RadioActive T/A' says "NHRA Package: For M6s: Hurst shifter, performance tires, 16" chromed wheels, dealer installed NHRA specific badging. For A4s: 3.23 gears, performance tires, 16" chromed wheels, dealer installed NHRA specific badging."
  • nhraformula adds "dont forget the power steering cooler and key chain."
  • NHRASE00 says
    I had a badge stolen and just called up Morgan Design Group:

Morgan Design Group
    2512 Wisconsin Ave
    Downers Grove, IL 60515
    Tel - 630-852-2600

Sorry I don't remeber the website, but you can call and describe exactly what you need. I think the whole package is $169 and you can buy everything seperate.

Oh and about our cars not being special, they really are, they are the 1SH option package, so I'm sure somehow we could get a number from Pontiac of how many of these 1SH cars there are on the road. Pretty much anybody can just get the badges, but it takes a bit more to convert your car, even then, you don't have a true NHRA Special Edition car like ours. Also, I don't know if any of you 2000 model year NHRA edition owners know this, but Pontiac did not start offering the NHRA package until 2001. So technically we have 2000 1/2 cars Just a little tidbit.
  • NHRASE00 says regarding how quickly the replacement badges from Morgan came, "I got it in 2 days, very quick"
  • chandiv quotes Pontiac that only 32 NHRA packages for 2002 models had been installed by August 9, 2002.
  • 'Marty D.D.' says "my delaer had told me that NHRA had made an arrangement Pontiac not to allow but 2 of these car to be sold per dealership. I am sure that some dealers may have sold more as mine did, but they owned 4 stores. 3 were sold from the Coggin Pontiac in Jacksonville Florida."
  • 'Marty D.D.' says "the NHRA SE option became available for the year 2001. Those of use whom purchased them purchased them while the 2001 cars were being offered. Hence the availablity of 2000 and 2002 models having this option. They no longer have this listed as an option, but I have been told that if one knows to ask for it they can still get it on a purchases in the year 2002."
  • Buzzin'Cuzzin' says "The way I look at it, we have a rare commemerative vehicle. One that represents Pontiacs long standing relationship and history with the NHRA. That is what makes it special. I had contacted the NHRA and did some research and found out that this was done in conjunction with the NHRA celebrating it's 50 anniversary and that 01 was the only real intended year, but as you stated in your post, late 00 and some 02's were made with this option."

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache.../t-323064.html
  • 'Dano 00TA' quotes an email from Pontiac: "We appreciate you taking the time to write us in regards to the 2000 Pontiac Firebird. ... We have researched your request and there was an overall total of 31 826 Firebirds and 215 of the NHRA Firebirds produced with the formula and the transmission without the WS6 option. The formulas configured were 100 and with the Trans AM option there were 115.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache.../t-387662.html
  • 'Marty D.D.' quotes an email from GM: "In 2000 there was a total of 215 NHRA Firebirds produced. In 2001 there was only 145 produced and in 2002 there were 535 produced. The total number produced is 895. Unfortunately, we are not aware of the reason why so many were produced in the last year of the firebird production. We hope that this information will be able to assist you. If you should need to contact us in the future, simply reply to this message or call our Pontiac Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-762-2737."
  • 'Marty D.D.' says "Currently I have requested information either from NHRA or GM involving the reasons behind the production offering of these vehicles. I had read the article the week I purchased my car and not able to find it since. As prior mentioned it stated the requirements of the four colors and body styles that NHRA officals had requested and agreed upon for this 50th anniversary model. Had they named the car NHRA Anniversary Edition, I am sure the sales would had been very high."

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache.../t-312532.html
  • '2002 Road Rage' posts data for 2002 from Pontiac Historic Services:
    2002 nhra package (rpo 1sh)
    formula with m6: 62
    formula with a4: 85
    T/A cpe. with m6: 136
    T/A cpe. with a4: 189
    T/A conv. with m6: 16
    T/A conv. with a4: 46
    total: 534

More Photos!
2000: http://www.firebirdgallery.com/Edition_NHRA_00lot1.htm
2001: http://www.firebirdgallery.com/Edition_NHRA_01lot1.htm
2002: http://www.firebirdgallery.com/Edition_NHRA_02lot1.htm

-end-

Last edited by ACW; 01-29-2005 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:31 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey I was quoted in there
Old 01-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you for all the info ACW. So I guess mine is one of 145 made in '01, but does anyone have a guess why I dont have a factory alarm?
Old 01-28-2005, 11:59 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You found a lot of info on the NHRA edition....how about the 75th Aniversary edition?
Old 01-29-2005, 01:25 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Default 75th Anniversary Edition Info

Originally Posted by VIP1
You found a lot of info on the NHRA edition....how about the 75th Aniversary edition?
Hrm, that's the toughest one yet!

http://www.carolinabreeze.com/photo/firebird.php
  • Four photos. "Carlyn Matos of South Boston is almost as proud of her 75th anniversary edition 2001 Pontiac Firebird as she is of her Puerto Rican heritage."

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...108hpp_trible/
  • To commemorate the 75-year milestone, Pontiac is making a special anniversary package one of the options.

Rather than any substantial performance or appearance changes, however, Pontiac has opted to bundle the packages with badging and popular options. In fact, the Grand Am GT anniversary model is the only Pontiac to get its badging at the factory. All other Pontiacs receive dealer-installed insignias.

While the tepid anniversary packages don't really scream excitement, they do make the mostly carryover models more distinctive. Here's a quick rundown of what each model gets:

Grand Am GT: "75th Anniversary" exterior badges and embroidered logos on the leather seats are included, along with chrome wheels.

Sunfire SE coupe: Dealer-installed badges, along with options that include the Monsoon stereo and a sunroof.

Bonneville SE: "75th Anniversary" exterior badges, dual-play stereo (CD and cassette), sunroof and heated power seats. There's no anniversary package for the top-of-the-line SSEi.

Grand Prix GT & GTP: "75th Anniversary" exterior badges, plus the NASCAR-inspired roof trim, hood scoops and rear spoiler seen on this year's "Special Edition" model and last year's Daytona 500 replica.

Firebird: V6 cars get the badging and the 3800 V6 performance package. The Formula gets the badges and a Hurst shifter, unless you get an automatic. Then, instead of the shifter, you get the 3.23 rear axle. As far as we know, there's no anniversary package for the Trans Am.

Also, the Montana and Aztek receive some anniversary-package options. In fact, since the badges are dealer-installed, we bet it would be pretty easy to buy a set of "75th Anniversary" badges and slap 'em on any '01 car, thereby making it your own anniversary model--such as the Trans Am.

Although it's disappointing that there's no truly unique (faster, cool looking) anniversary model, who knows? Maybe in 20 years, a 75th Anniversary Sunfire will draw a crowd at a car show. It could happen ...

http://www.carpices.com/2001_Pontiac...)_Options.html
  • RPO Code: 1SX , Name: Formula Coupe 75th Anniversary Package - Requires MN6 Transmission , Invoice price: $2291.75 , Retail price: $2575.00
  • RPO Code: 1SX , Name: Formula Coupe 75th Anniversary Package - Not available with MN6 Transmission , Invoice price: $2269.50 , Retail price: $2550.00

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-sale-lsx-powered-only/262427-2001-formula-firebird-15k.html
And of course you don't need to see your own posts again, but for the sake of what little completeness...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/219102-how-get-my-build-number.html
  • VIP1 says "I have a 2001 Black Formula with the 75th Aniversay package. Its the celebration of 75 years of Pontiac, not 75 years of the Firebird. The package was offered on a few other Pontaic vehicles. Its basically a trim package. I my case it includes T-Tops, leather steering wheel, leather shift ****, cloth interior, performance rear with 3.23 gears, chrome 5-star wheels (same as the T/A), automatic, and no badges indicating that its a 75th Aniversary (although supposedly they were available)."

You might want to give Pontiac Historic Services a try, maybe they'd have some production information... http://www.phs-online.com/ (If you get anything, please share! )
Old 01-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks for the searching, but I have already seen most of that. I'm trying to find production numbers but I havent found anything yet.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Hello fellow NHRA owners
I am Marty alias Marty D.D. and 02SETA.
I see that a lot of stuff that was talked about around other boards has made it here. Cool

I love my car and have only seen 4 others since purchasing it in 2001.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Teching In

I also have a 2001 (black) NHRA formula hardtop m6....
It also did not come with keyless entry or factory alarm
Old 01-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Question

Do you have electric door locks?
If so, which it should, then you may just need to reprogram the alarm.
Do you have a red led in the dash speaker grill?
Old 01-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Teching In

yes electric door locks.
no red LED.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Then you may just have to program the remote. Someone may have replaced then and lost the original. There are links here and on LS2.com to do so.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks, but I had Python paging alarm installed with perimitter sensor.

Quick Reply: Another production number question (NHRA SE, and Pontiac 75th Anniversary)