Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

2002 Phase I ZL1 Camaro sold at Barrett-Jackson

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 Phase I ZL1 Camaro sold at Barrett-Jackson

The #63 Phase I 2002 ZL1 Supercar sold at Barrett-Jackson today for $80,000 plus the buyer and seller each had to pay a 8% commission so actually the car brought $92,800 ! ! ! !

This was actually the cheapest 2002 ZL1 built according to Matt Murphy when I spoke to him last week. He was planning on attending the auction today.

As I remember, this particular ZL1 had a window sticker price of $58,000 and some change.

And there are those of you out there that question whether these cars will appreciate in value.................

Last edited by 02_Phase2_ZL1; 01-16-2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: To add photographs
Old 01-16-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any other pics of it, maybe even at auction?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Launching!

I think that may have been the first fourth gen Fbod to roll through Scottsdale-Glad it was a GMMG car!

In a few years they will be selling on fri -sat nite!
Old 01-17-2007, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope...............I don't have any of it going across the block.

The only photos I have of it were the two that I posted which were taken at our club's show in 2004 (Hawkeye Camaro-Fest 2004) and one that was taken at Camaro Super-Fest in Ann Arbor, Michigan also in 2004. Hawkeye Camaro-Fest is put on each year in July by our club, The Mid-Iowa Camaro Club and is held in just outside of Des Moines, Iowa in Ankeny, Iowa at the Des Moines Area Community College.

The other photo I have of it was from Camaro Super-Fest in Ann Arbor, Michigan also in 2004 which is this one I mentioned above and is posted below.

If you were watching the program last night..............it did go across the block on Speedvision. Kinda cool to say the least ! ! ! !

Last edited by 02_Phase2_ZL1; 01-17-2007 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

$80k is great and all, but my biggest question is how many miles did the ZL1 have on it at auction? Ive seen some hawks, ws6's and even cetas with less than 200 miles selling on traderonline and ebay recently.

Why do these people keep these cars for 5 years, not drive them, and then sell them for less than they bought them for? Do they think that with the new camaro coming out, the cars are going to lose value even more? The 30 old SD ta's sell great, why? Probably cus it a big engine upgrade from a regular one, but if im not mistaken, arent all ls1's f-bodys the same? Just bolt ons (hawk, ss) diff paint (ceta) ect,,,

Dont get me wrong, ive had a hawk and now a own ceta vert, and love the damn cars. The ZL1 is damn rare, BUT, what fun is it to look at it, and not drive it?

just my .02
Old 01-17-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

SuperDave................the car sold at B-J was low mileage.................as I remember............163 miles. A friend of mine originally owned it. Neither he or the guy he sold it to sold it for less that what they originally paid for it. The window sticker was just over $58,000 and as I remember he sold it for just over $70,000 and then this guy took it to B-J and sold it for $80,000.

My friend (the first owner) drove it "a little" (I'll admit, darn little) and took it to several car shows. He enjoyed just owning it............polishing it, etc.

My 2002 ZL1 is low mileage too. 1,950 miles. I have had the opportunity to drive it some, enough to satisfy me. I take it to lots of car shows.........plus...........I can go out to my shop and just stare at it if I choose. "Different strokes for different folks". Not all people have to drive the hell out of them to enjoy them. We all get enjoyment out of our cars different ways.

I didn't buy mine to sell it for a profit some day. I bought it just because I wanted it. I HAVE NEVER REGRETTED THAT DECISION.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

My dad just told me about this car on the phone (I don't have speedvision or else I would have been watching.) He was just wondering about how many miles it had and I figured I could find some more info on the car here. Its cool to see a 4th gen make it across the block.

And 02_Phase2_ZL1 your car looks amazing and I love that little chevy sign above your garage. Is that done up in bricks as well?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Launching!

I was on the phone when I saw it pull on the block. I was like, "What the !@#$%" I hung up the phone. It was cool seeing a newer model Camaro on there, much less a ZL1

Last edited by BadMrFrossty; 01-17-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

green28..................thanks for the compliments...............yes.........my shop is brick and the Chevrolet Bow-Tie is stone. We had the stone thrown on a U.P.S. plane and brought up from Georgia. Then my brick layer cut the stone into the bow-tie and place it dead-center in the front of the shop above the bay doors and then he bricked around it.

My shop is 1,585 square feet with radiant in-floor heat (for Iowa winters don't ya know) and central air conditioning (for Iowa summers). I have room for six cars. Presenly my boat, my utility trailer, my 18' car hauler and my two Camaros occupy it. The shop measures 36' wide by 44' long. In the center bay I also have a 12,000 lb. Bendpak 4 post lift with two 6,000 lb. rolling jacks.................so..........if space gets short, I could park one car on the lift and another underneath but that would defeat the purpose of having the lift and being able to work on my Camaros and other vehicles.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02_Phase2_ZL1
SuperDave................the car sold at B-J was low mileage.................as I remember............163 miles. A friend of mine originally owned it. Neither he or the guy he sold it to sold it for less that what they originally paid for it. The window sticker was just over $58,000 and as I remember he sold it for just over $70,000 and then this guy took it to B-J and sold it for $80,000.

My friend (the first owner) drove it "a little" (I'll admit, darn little) and took it to several car shows. He enjoyed just owning it............polishing it, etc.

My 2002 ZL1 is low mileage too. 1,950 miles. I have had the opportunity to drive it some, enough to satisfy me. I take it to lots of car shows.........plus...........I can go out to my shop and just stare at it if I choose. "Different strokes for different folks". Not all people have to drive the hell out of them to enjoy them. We all get enjoyment out of our cars different ways.

I didn't buy mine to sell it for a profit some day. I bought it just because I wanted it. I HAVE NEVER REGRETTED THAT DECISION.
I get it for sure. I mean to me, low mileage is 6k (thats what i put on my 1LE firehawk in 4 years. I think yours is "ultra low" mileage and the B-J one is "almost no" mileage. After I did some looking up on how rare the ZL1 is, I agree about taking it to shows and trailering it. Hell, I would get pissed at getting a rock chip in my "average 9k mile ceta vert" I cant imagine getting a rock chip on a 2k mile ZL1!!!!! Your shop is awesome too.

dave
Old 01-17-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good info JD the information posted on JB had it listed as (Engine 427, HP 400) I sure hope the buyer did not think it was a 427 car

Nice to see the GMMG cars ae going up in value I still kick myself for not picking up that TH white 380 Vert last Feb Oh well looks like a 5th Gen GMMG car is in my future
Old 01-17-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are definately different types of car enthusiast. Some people can have a car sit in a bubble in their garage and love every second they spend out there sitting in a rocking chair looking at it.

I consider myself a driving enthusiast. My f-bod is my daily driver. This is mostly because I don't want to foot the bill for another ride, but there's also a part of me that would take the bird everyday to work even if I had a beater.

Looking nice is great, but not having rock chips in the hood isn't worth me not driving the **** out of her.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 2002 Phase I ZL1 Camaro sold at Barrett-Jackson

Originally Posted by 01pewter2001z28
Good info JD the information posted on JB had it listed as (Engine 427, HP 400) I sure hope the buyer did not think it was a 427 car

Nice to see the GMMG cars ae going up in value I still kick myself for not picking up that TH white 380 Vert last Feb Oh well looks like a 5th Gen GMMG car is in my future
When I spoke with Matt (Murphy) a week or so ago.............he told me about this too. He had been trying to get in touch with the present owner of this car to tell him that Barrett-Jackson had the wrong information and the car was being misrepresented. He told me that if he could not reach the present owner that when he arrrived at B-J prior to the auction of the car, that he would get with the representatives of B-J and get it set straight so that a prospective purchaser of the car would not be misinformed on exactly what the car was and that it was an LS6 (346 c.i.d.) AND NOT a C5R 427.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

The #63 Phase I 2002 ZL1 Supercar sold at Barrett-Jackson today for $80,000 plus the buyer and seller each had to pay a 8% commission so actually the car brought $92,800 ! ! ! !

This was actually the cheapest 2002 ZL1 built according to Matt Murphy when I spoke to him last week. He was planning on attending the auction today.

As I remember, this particular ZL1 had a window sticker price of $58,000 and some change.

And there are those of you out there that question whether these cars will appreciate in value.................
Actually--it is 500$ to put car in for the seller..+ 8% of selling price............THEN....it is 10% for the buyer .
Old 01-18-2007, 01:17 AM
JUICED96Z

My 2002 ZL1 is low mileage too. 1,950 miles. I have had the opportunity to drive it some, enough to satisfy me. "Different strokes for different folks". Not all people have to drive the hell out of them to enjoy them. We all get enjoyment out of our cars different ways.

I have to agree with this, I bought my Z with 102k miles, DD it for a summer and now its gets roughly 1000 miles a year and is up to 119k miles (most from that summer). I drive a beat up beater ever day.

On nice summer days, mostly Saturdays I will get it out and thats about it but I don't regret it and love it. Most if not all of my friends hate their beathers and pretty much drive their f-bodies year round. I am not like that. Different stroke. Now would I buy a car and just let it sit all its life? No, a buddy of mine has a friend who has an original mile TTA with like 8 miles on it. I could NEVER do that buy I could never daily drive my f-body again, just hated it.

Granted one day I would like a nice/rare LT1 or LS1 car with low miles to keep clean and show and drive even less. Maybe a red LT1 SS or LS1 HOSS.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LT1_Hawk
any other pics of it, maybe even at auction?
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carli...n_LotNumber=86
Old 01-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Launching!

lol, you'd think they'd have nicer images on their web site. those look like they were taken with a camera phone. i mean, the thing did sell for 80k.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stokedporcupine
lol, you'd think they'd have nicer images on their web site. those look like they were taken with a camera phone. i mean, the thing did sell for 80k.
Not to mention the description saying it was the only white ZL-1 I know there were a few other white ones made.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:38 PM
JUICED96Z

Barret allways makes a point to say this auction id buyer beware. I have seen them make mistakes over and over.

One was the other day, they anounced a car had something then the next minute said it did not and from what I could tell IT DID have it they just truley did not know what they were talking about.

500k for a Phase 1???? I could see that out of a Phase 2 but a 1?....

Yeah the person that took the pics needs to have his camera phone taken away.

If I ever went to Barret I would not listen to a word they said. They had one car listed as a 396 Chevelle. They checked the numbers on the auction block and found out it was not numbers matching and did not come with a 396 from the factory.....
Old 01-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Default '02 ZL1 CAMAROS Painted White

Originally Posted by 01pewter2001z28
Not to mention the description saying it was the only white ZL-1 I know there were a few other white ones made.
According to the CAMARO WHITE BOOK there were a total of 5 Artic White
'02 ZL1's produced:
Phase I....2 cars
Phase II...1 car
Phase III...2cars

Dover White ('69 color)

only one a Phase III car

By the way, lot#1524 is a HOT ROD EDTION CAMARO proto-type #1 owned by Petersen Publishing.....HOT ROD Magazine.

It's a Phase I 380 HP / M6
What will it go for?

Quick Reply: 2002 Phase I ZL1 Camaro sold at Barrett-Jackson