Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

First deaths

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008 | 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First deaths

These are my first two races against F-bodies since getting my car back together. My car spun a rod bearing last year racing a friend in his Mach 1.

First race against a Pewter LS1 SS.... pulled along side him on the interstate and rolled down the window. Show him 3 fingers for 3 honks. I'm in 3rd gear at about 55-60. Honk Honk.. he goes about a second before I honk the 3rd time. He jumps out 1- 1 1/2 cars. By the top of 3rd I stop his pull. Shift to fourth and he's starting to pull again out to about 2 cars and we shut it down around 130mph. He slowed down gave a thumbs up and we went our separate ways.
I know he had at least an exhaust. on how my car performed.

Second race was today before work. See a friend of mine I race some time ago. Maybe 2yrs ago. He has a blk WS6 not sure of year but it has an LS1. We go from a dig on the frontage road. I give him the hit... we both spin through first. Bang 2nd gear and he pulls an easy 3 cars on me as we wind out second and pulls more in 3rd. We shut down just under 110mph. Pull over and talk for a second. I asked him what else he had done since the last time we raced because he had me by a car from a dig in a 1/4. He told me he had full exhaust (headers,Y and catback). I said really??? I just got it handed to me!!! Then he said he sprayed me in second. I was like WTF! Told him we won't race again till i get some spray or my old motor is finished.

Highlights: Challenged two LS1's and got shafted both times.

The motor I have in my car now is 103,000 Miles, it doesn't pull nearly as hard as my old motor that came out with 82K miles. I'm guessing if I took this car to the track with the current motor I wouldn't be able to match my best 13.2 run. I know it needs a tune and new O2's because my check engine light is on and the gas mileage is horrible compared to before.

Street racing is illegal and should only be done when one of the people involved is a LEO!
Old 11-03-2008 | 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Good runs and nice write-up. Seems like the race vs. the SS would've been pretty even had you both took off at the same time.
Old 11-04-2008 | 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
Good runs and nice write-up. Seems like the race vs. the SS would've been pretty even had you both took off at the same time.
Thanks!
Yeah I think I could've did better against the SS had we gone on the 3honks vs taking off on the 2nd. The T/A was a pure raping. I wish I could have recorded the look on my own face when he shot in front of me. Ah well.....
Old 11-04-2008 | 09:58 AM

Good deaths, cool story!
Old 11-04-2008 | 12:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94Mustang302ci
Thanks!
Yeah I think I could've did better against the SS had we gone on the 3honks vs taking off on the 2nd. The T/A was a pure raping. I wish I could have recorded the look on my own face when he shot in front of me. Ah well.....
+ Yeah really good story, Humble you lost even tho the SS jumped on you it was still a good race. Props man for putting up a fighting chance.
Old 11-04-2008 | 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good deaths.

And x2 on that tune....in fact, looking at your mods, it's probably not a bad O2....you have an O/R midpipe that will throw a code. And you're probably running on the lean side. If you keep up the WOT, you just may end up with a third motor before long.

IMO, pay the $75 for three pulls (or whatever they charge) and double check your A/F.
Old 11-04-2008 | 01:42 PM
On The Tree

good death. their will be more.
Old 11-04-2008 | 01:44 PM
On The Tree

These are my first two races against F-bodies since getting my car back together. My car spun a rod bearing last year racing a friend in his Mach 1.

First race against a Pewter LS1 SS.... pulled along side him on the interstate and rolled down the window. Show him 3 fingers for 3 honks. I'm in 3rd gear at about 55-60. Honk Honk.. he goes about a second before I honk the 3rd time. He jumps out 1- 1 1/2 cars. By the top of 3rd I stop his pull. Shift to fourth and he's starting to pull again out to about 2 cars and we shut it down around 130mph. He slowed down gave a thumbs up and we went our separate ways.
I know he had at least an exhaust. on how my car performed.

Street racing is illegal and should only be done when one of the people involved is a LEO!
So after he jumped on you, did you really feel the need for a 3rd honk?
Good story though. And I whole heartedly agree about your last comment.
Old 11-04-2008 | 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Badhawk
And I whole heartedly agree about your last comment.
But what if you can handle a car better than an LEO?....aren't LEO's all about safety, so in essence, it should be about who can handle the car if something were to go astray.......LOL.

(kidding...mostly).
Old 11-04-2008 | 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Good deaths.

And x2 on that tune....in fact, looking at your mods, it's probably not a bad O2....you have an O/R midpipe that will throw a code. And you're probably running on the lean side. If you keep up the WOT, you just may end up with a third motor before long.

IMO, pay the $75 for three pulls (or whatever they charge) and double check your A/F.
The nearest dyno is 1hr and a half away in Lucedale, Mississippi. A shop called JMSCHIP. I do need a tune badly though. I'm actually debating selling both my Cobra and my DD Honda Accord for a bike (R1 or Busa) and getting a truck. I really want an F-body to go with the Cobra but wouldn't be able to carry them both on my insurance (1237 every 6months) for my Cobra and Wife's Impala.
Old 11-04-2008 | 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Badhawk
So after he jumped on you, did you really feel the need for a 3rd honk?
Good story though. And I whole heartedly agree about your last comment.

Actually its been so long since I've street raced I was just so excited I forgot how to drive. I actually honked the horn the 3rd time and in my head I was like "dumb *** he's already on the throttle, hit the pedal retard!"
Old 11-04-2008 | 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

The nearest dyno is 1hr and a half away in Lucedale, Mississippi. A shop called JMSCHIP. I do need a tune badly though. I'm actually debating selling both my Cobra and my DD Honda Accord for a bike (R1 or Busa) and getting a truck. I really want an F-body to go with the Cobra but wouldn't be able to carry them both on my insurance (1237 every 6months) for my Cobra and Wife's Impala.
I drove 3.5 hours to get my DSG tuned. 90 minutes is nothing IMO, IF it's a GOOD shop.

Either that or spend the money install a wideband and A/F gauge to tune it yourself...or datalog to have someone like Justin or Rick tune it.
Actually its been so long since I've street raced I was just so excited I forgot how to drive. I actually honked the horn the 3rd time and in my head I was like "dumb *** he's already on the throttle, hit the pedal retard!"
that was hilarious.
Old 11-04-2008 | 07:49 PM
Teching In

Good deaths.

I need a tune were do you recommend one? Is methodmotorworks any good???
Old 11-04-2008 | 10:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Shoulda stuck with the 302!
Old 11-05-2008 | 06:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Shoulda stuck with the 302!
A week after I bought this car in Alabama, I looked on Ebay and found a Ford Racing Red 1995 Cobra with the 96-98 Hood for $4000 located in Southaven Mississippi.

I paid $8000 for this car with 77K miles on it and the mods in my Sig. The 95 had the all blk interior I wanted 03 Cobra wheels 17x9 and 17x10.5. The only problem with the car was a blown head gasket. The extra 4 grand would've went to the purchase of an HP single Turbo kit.

Modular Cars are nice but unless you're running boost its difficult to keep up with the LSx powered cars. If I can find someone who would want to trade my Cobra for and early sn95 5.0 I would. Top end pull is nice (4v Cobra) but so is the ability to run a 351 based 408 and about 10lbs of boost!
Old 11-05-2008 | 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlkZ28559
I need a tune were do you recommend one? Is methodmotorworks any good???
MMW specializes in Imports. I'd stay away from them. Call Steve at Extreme Modern Mustang and ask him if he knows who is good with GM performance. He's a great tuner, but self admitted that he knows squat about Gm. He may know someone.......oh, and IMO, I would stay away from CSD too..or the place off of maple and Mckinley.

Modular Cars are nice but unless you're running boost its difficult to keep up with the LSx powered cars. If I can find someone who would want to trade my Cobra for and early sn95 5.0 I would. Top end pull is nice (4v Cobra) but so is the ability to run a 351 based 408 and about 10lbs of boost!
I disagree...unless you are speaking outside of 4V's.
Old 11-05-2008 | 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

MMW specializes in Imports. I'd stay away from them. Call Steve at Extreme Modern Mustang and ask him if he knows who is good with GM performance. He's a great tuner, but self admitted that he knows squat about Gm. He may know someone.......oh, and IMO, I would stay away from CSD too..or the place off of maple and Mckinley.

Well I'll say B Headed Cobra's. Their really aren't a lot of 96-98 Cobra's putting out a lot of power N/A. I could switch to C or 03 Cobra heads but I like the look of my intake (best looking for Modular Cars). So unless you're willing to put out some coin for some type of FI its hard to keep up with those LSx cars (minus the GTO).

I can't remember the last time I saw a 4valve B headed Cobra make 450+fwhp N/A.
Old 11-05-2008 | 11:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

I know what he is saying. Once you do the bolt ons to the 4v's its pretty much game over unless you want to either spend your kid's college fund to get more power N/A, go nitrous, or boost. With a SBF the sky is the limit for N/A power.
Old 11-05-2008 | 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Good runs and good deaths. Has anyone said Mustangs are slow, chick cars?
Old 11-05-2008 | 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

So unless you're willing to put out some coin for some type of FI its hard to keep up with those LSx cars (minus the GTO).