Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

whats the big deal about supras??

Old 10-06-2003, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whats the big deal about supras??

figgured id through this one out there as well... i was sitting at a light listing to some initial d non stop mega mix (great cd) and this fast and furrious *** pulls up next to me in a supra.... yes done up to look just like the one in the first movie... he looks over a me and yells "6cylinder couldent you affrod the good one" ... ahh the beauty of the formula... all go and no show....
so the light changes he gets a hell of a lauch not a squack out of him....i like the tart that i am break em loose.. i feather the clutch and get some traction through first i was ganning on him like a mad man his turbo spooled up and i stoped ganing as fast i hit seckond with a happy churp .. he hit seckond with an annoing blow off wistle (the ear pearcing kind that screems 'too small for this turbo') once he shifted he fell way back (the down fall of the turbo never there when you need it) ran up to 110 had about 5 car lengths on him decided that was enough and started to slow down.... he saw break lights i made shure of that... but in true rice boy style he blew past with his hazzards on..
i wonder if he ever figgured out that it was an ls1?
so here is my question... (i love wraping up kills with questions)
whats the big appeal of the supras... yeah they are pritty slick looking. but im kinda dissapointed that they are not all that fast.... dont get me wrong i would love to have 4wd on my f-body but i dont think id give up the ls1 for it..
Old 10-06-2003, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: whats the big deal about supras??

I'm not sure about the appeal...I think they look cool, but if I had to choose between a Camaro, Firebird, Mustang (Cobra or Mach I), or Supra, the Supra would lose every time. Like I said though, I think they're nice looking cars. BTW, I'm pretty sure Supras are just rear wheel drive.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:25 AM
FormerVendor

From what I understand, Supra guys hate being called ricers. They are their own breed in their eyes. I call them ricers. Bottom line is, Supras are ******* slow unless you dump 2 bigger turbos, and a whole lot of money into one. Then, they are pretty quick. But damn, invest enough in any car and it will be quick. Single-turbo LS1's are running 9's for 8G's. A Supra is a ricer through and through that needs the aftermarket to be a fast car. It's a hybrid of muscle and rice. The muscle only cuz it's RWD, the rice cuz the 'twin turbo' Toyota ploy. The ricer gods have spoken these words, "NOS(NAWWWWWWSSSSSSSSS) and turbo". They almost nut when they see a car with either, and if one has both, they'll have sex with it.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

i could be thinking of a celica gt4 when i say 4wd. yeah i was still unimpressed with the celica... im not a person that will by a car strictly for the country that it was made in but lets face it if you wanna go streight fast for a good price nothing beats american muscle.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supras don't run well... Everybody who buys them makes them into drag cars, but they just aren't good 1320 performers. They seem to me to be kinda stuck between auto-x and drag racing. A twin turbo 6banger is more of an autocross performing motor, but it's RWD... I dunno. They're heavy as hell, too. I'd rather have an 03 Cobra or even a Mach1 Stang over a Supra. They do look pretty nice though, IMO.

A kid in the town next to me has a 96 or 97 TT that ran 12.6 recently... not sure about the work he has done, though. Supposedly he hit 160 mph in it... but I think that's
Old 10-06-2003, 11:16 AM
I ruin the end of films...

Just to set the record straight...
big single turbo is ALWAYS better than twins on a Poopra
they're RWD...they're heavy enough as it is w/o the AWD
Who's turbo LS1 runs 9s on 8K? Maybe nitrous, but not F/I
By doing basic upgrades (thus the term BPU), will greatly improve performance.

Not a Supra guy, but I try to learn as much about competition as possible. I put them in the same boat as Grand Nationals. 6-cylinder turbo car that can be insanely fast w/ a little effort. It's hard to tell the 10-second ones from the 13-second ones.

The big knock on them is their weight and the fact that they can dyno 800hp and still run consistent high 11s.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

i would rather have that GN over a supra though. they are dyno ******, but when they get to the track, they **** out crappy numbers. i mean 500, 600, and 700 hp supras can all be stuck in the 11 second zone. put 500 hp in a f-body or stang and you will rape them at the strip or street any day of the week. if i stated anything wrong please correct me.

Old 10-06-2003, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Supras are nice looking in the newer style and with a little work a single turbo supra can be pretty dang quick. I don't know of a supra with AWD. All the ones I've seen are RWD, which majorly adds to the cool points (FWD sux). It's one of the only thing the import guys have that's decent looking and quick (once modded or by their standards quick stock)so they make a huge deal out of the car. It's not a bad car I wouldn't mind owning one if I happen to have 20+k to throw away on something to just sit around my garage while a cruised a real car (my Camaro). In no way would I ever take one over a GNX or a GM V8. They aren't all that bad for what they are though. BTW Nice kill. Let him think its a v6 it'll hurt his pride that much more.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no supra is AWD on earth WTF is wrong with some people...

umm they're dynowhores yes, but no one is mad at 1000hp dynosheets.

second they're usually bad launchers, BUT the street tire world record is held by a Supra.

8.6 something on drag radials. i remember seeing Paul efantis and this car in ESPN driving it on the street with the back-then best of 8.99 still on a window.

as far as a GN not being all that bad, well LS1s haven't reached the levels of the GNs at the track, not yet.

Motor trend pulled a 13.1 back in '93 with the Supra, ls1s are also 13 second cars.

So it's difficult to understand how 13 sec RWD factory cars are rice.

if one is then the other surely has to be as well no?
Old 10-06-2003, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no supra is AWD on earth WTF is wrong with some people...

umm they're dynowhores yes, but no one is mad at 1000hp dynosheets.

second they're usually bad launchers, BUT the street tire world record is held by a Supra.

8.6 something on drag radials. i remember seeing Paul efantis and this car in ESPN driving it on the street with the back-then best of 8.99 still on a window.

as far as a GN not being all that bad, well LS1s haven't reached the levels of the GNs at the track, not yet.

Motor trend pulled a 13.1 back in '93 with the Supra, ls1s are also 13 second cars. And it handles as well.

Matter fact motor trend put high above the then lt-1 Corvette even, as a more complete sports car. it also had a higher top speed. (162 mph)

So it's difficult to understand how 13 sec RWD factory cars are rice.

if one is then the other surely has to be as well no? Specially when neither was built in the US. Well actually toyota has several plants in the US some perhaps one was.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Expensive cars for wealthy people! People can say what they want about Supra's being "Ricer" "slow for the hp" etc, but if you read up on them they are awesome. Go TO4R.com for instance.

The fastest drag radial car in the world is a Supra that includes domestics. 8.2xx@176 that on a drag radial!

Many guys running helacious traps 130-150mph on stock blocks daily drivers. Dyno's of 950rwhp on stock blocks. Etc Etc.

Supra's are still terribly expensive and not drag oriented. I'll never own one I'm too poor, but they are aweseome.And yes, for the money you could probably have a 8 or 9 sec. stang or camaro, I know.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

all im saying is if i were to get an import and sink some $ into id go skyline... i realy think the only reason most people have supras is because that damned dumb *** movie. same reason people wanted a 68 gt 500 right after the remake of gone in 60 seckonds yes it was a sharp car but people are too influenced by movies.... screw them all.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

I love the body lines, and I have seen enough supra videos on the internet spanking venon vipers etc, that they have my respect.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

skyline? yeah right, with Motorex chargin people damn near half the price of the car for "legalizing it".

for that just run a 240sx with the GTR engine, motorex are ******* thieves.

i mean gettin a r32 here for 30k in all has been done, but when people think skyline they see r34s. and those are ridiculously expensive. once again motorex being gay.

supras have remained expensive, which is a testament to them. it's set up for dragstrip, but obviously the Power is there.

and remember there are n/a supras, those take up most of their ricer population. and supras ended production almost half a decade before FAF.

think about it, back in '93 u could run with/beat a vette for similar or less price.

And if the movie enlightened people to the gt500, oh well, the car can back it up.

And in case u haven't figured it out..the supra is the jap pony car, perhaps like more civilized camaro.

the Supra is a costly car, with not good milage either, and it doesn't pretend to be a bang for the buck really. just enough Bang that buck doesn't seem to matter.

the nissan GTR would be like an in-between of a vette and viper.

Old 10-06-2003, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Supra's are not rich people cars. YOu can get a nice supra for under 20 grand now. I've seen them for 11 or 12 actually in good shape. Yes that is probably more expensive than your average car for that year but they are not by any means rich people cars. I guess I kind of don't see them as rice. Yes they are imports, but 90% of the parts on our cars are inmported. I guess it's because it's a rwd car that i think that, and bigger than a 4 banger. As for the big deal with them. I don't think many people even knew what a supra was before the fast and the furious. They actually react to mods better than any car I have seen. Exhaust, and single turbo conversion i see them hit 600+ rwhp. That is impressive for turbo and exhaust change on totally stock internals. And yes supras have hit 1000 hp on a dyno. I have a video of one hitting 1100. I'll see if i can find it for you. Bottom line, just because it was in the fast and the furious, and every *** talks about them now, they dont' get the respect that they deserve.

Don't get me wrong, I am not an import person. IN fact, i ******* hate ricers. Long live american muscle. If i liked imports, i would sell my vette and buy one. Just pointing out that supra's are mod machines, and any time you race one, you really have no idea whats under the hood.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:18 PM
Teching In

[quote]
Supra's are not rich people cars."

You find me a 1993-98 Supra tt and for 11-12k that is not without a engine or in some sort of total loss type of wreck I'll give you 1k.

Go to Autobytel, Autotrader, Cars.com, and local web service you will find none at that price!!

93-94's with 100k are still in the hight teens low 20's

Go look and see what the cheapest 97-98 is you won't find one under 25k.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supra's are not rich people cars. YOu can get a nice supra for under 20 grand now. I've seen them for 11 or 12 actually in good shape.
Show me these Supras, because if I saw any for around 11-12 when I was looking to buy my LS1 (ended up with my blwon LT1) I would probably be driving a Supra right now. The onyl Supras I've seen lately have been upwards of 30 grand, used. Bullshit, if you ask me.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

i think he was talking about N/A supras cause i have not seen any for that price either. the TT's are bullshit *** expensive. ill just keep saving and buy a z06!
Old 10-06-2003, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Don't know where you are looking but i see them for 15 or under. And as for ones with major losses, there was one that I almost bought that was cought in a flood, and doesn't run. They wanted 5500 for it. 1400 for a 95 7500 for 93 that was sold 1100, non turbo but it's still a supra Good prices are out there, for those people who actually LOOK No your not going to find a show room quality supra with low miles and work done for cheap but thats true with most cars.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:24 PM
JTM
TECH Regular

WOW, some of you guys are real tools. Reminds me of ls1.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: whats the big deal about supras??