Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2011 mustang 5.0 getting beat by stock ls1

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black&White
Mine is near enough to bone stock to argue that I think. Just shocks/springs and SFC. I'd love to race the new GT, would be tons of fun... just need a new clutch (almost 75k miles) and new tires (almost 50k)
I guess everybody has their own definition of bone stock. Are your shocks stock replacements or performance upgrades?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigjohns97
I think it might be a tad faster but not much, it's really hard to tell because the camaro is just raw power, no refinement 100k 10 year old car where all the bushing are worn and you can feel it big time when you punch it.

The mustang is soo much more pussyfied from the factory i mean even once i finally figured out how to really disable traction control it's still electronic throttle and won't let me really open it up all at once. You would think with 412+ hp and only 255's out back (don't care if they are stickey pzero's or not) i should be able to light them babies up yet i haven't been able to do so yet.

I really need a tune just to turn off the damn throttle lag and then really see wtf is up with this new setup.
So are you saying that your new stang may only be a "tad" faster than your camaro? That's pretty much what I was trying to say on here but some people don't want to listen. Is it YOUR Camaro, and is it as stockish as you say? Just wondering because I'd hate to be accused of ignoring facts. Either way though, it's a stout mustang and it'll open up a little for sure after break in (which aint no 10-15000 miles or whatever ). I'm sure if driven to it's potential it'll take a stock ls1, but like you said, not by as much as some us on here thought. I was trying to play devils advocate a little earlier but then everyone started calling my poor Firehawk slow I could have that car in the 11s in a flash, means nothing though. I want to keep it stockish or easily reverted back to stock. Some guys think that if you don't have a fast ride that you aren't entitled to your opinion, or that you know nothing Plus, my Firehawk is plenty fast for what I use it for, chavez... and stopsign, and all you other stupid heads lol jk.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Type 5.0L 4V Ti-VCT V-8
Manufacturing location Essex Engine, Windsor, Ontario
Configuration Aluminum block and heads
Intake manifold Composite shell-welded with runner pack
Exhaust manifold Stainless steel tubular headers
Redline 7,000 rpm
Valvetrain DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, variable intake, variable camshaft timing
Valve diameter/lift (mm) Intake: 37/12; Exhaust: 31/11
Ti-VCT operating range 50 degrees for both intake and exhaust
Pistons Cast aluminum
Connecting rods Forged steel
Ignition High-energy coil-on-plug
Bore x stroke 3.63 in x 3.65 in/92.2 mm x 92.7 mm
Displacement 302 cu. in./4,951 cc
Compression ratio 11.0:1 (est.)
Engine control system PCM
Horsepower 412 @ 6,500 rpm (est.)
Horsepower per liter 82.4
Torque 390 lb.-ft. @ 4,250 rpm (est.)
Recommended fuel 91 octane (unleaded 87 octane minimum)

VS.

Displacement 5.7L (5665cc, 346ci) Gross Horsepower 310 @ 5200 RPM, 320 @ 5800 RPM
Bore/Stroke 3.90/3.62 Gross Torque 340 @ 4000 RPM, 330 @ 4400 RPM
Compression Ratio
10.1:1 Maximum RPM
Firing Order
1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 Out of crate weight.
Approximately 390 lbs.
Spark Plug
ACDelco 12
ACDelco 41-985 Spark Plug Gap
.060”, 1.524 mm

The 2011' Mustang SHOULD win. (Apparently I don't have the weight factored in )
Old 05-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Ok here it goes not saying that i wont get my *** kicked but i will run any bone stock ls1, my car 07 tuned and exhaust only and i well fare better than the vid of the new 5.0.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kennyxg
Ok here it goes not saying that i wont get my *** kicked but i will run any bone stock ls1, my car 07 tuned and exhaust only and i well fare better than the vid of the new 5.0.
[youtube]T6CGyg53KIk[/youtube]
Old 05-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado
Common bro wtf was that? my point was clear if you in the houston area lets do this no excuses.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:25 PM
9 Second Club

Common bro wtf was that? my point was clear if you in the houston area lets do this no excuses.
Actually you want to race MY car? I can meet you in baytown if you really think you wanna run .

Sorry, but I wasn't the one getting on here calling out stock cars.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Who cares, the fact a 8+ year old LS1 was able to beat a brand new 400hp Mustang GT is rather funny....im sure it will happen more and I am also sure it will go the other way around as well...meaning LS1 stock loosing to stock 5.0.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Actually you want to race MY car? I can meet you in baytown if you really think you wanna run .

Sorry, but I wasn't the one getting on here calling out stock cars.
Oh i got an ls1 too.. Let me know when you are ready....'im in the 10's as well when ever your ready i'm not playing!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:48 PM
9 Second Club

Oh i got an ls1 too.. Let me know when you are ready....'im in the 10's as well when ever your ready i'm not playing!
Sounds great! I gave up the 10's and went 9's by decision . I'll hit my cousin up and see if I can make a family visit out of it all in one weekend.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:49 PM

Default new 5.0 lol

hahahaha yall r crazy
Old 05-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Sounds great! I gave up the 10's and went 9's by decision . I'll hit my cousin up and see if I can make a family visit out of it all in one weekend.
Bro with all seriousness lets do this.. after we we can drink some beers and chill after .. the heads are getting worked on right now,,,,
Old 05-13-2010, 10:59 PM
9 Second Club

Bro with all seriousness lets do this.. after we we can drink some beers and chill after .. the heads are getting worked on right now,,,,
Sounds good, I should be able to come down here in about a month. My dad live right across the road from the track in baytown. Or maybe that was his moms house right there close to the lake/pond? **** i don't remember.

Lucky, we just tooke a dremel to my stock 243's and just cleaned them up from the previous damage. I can't complain though. It's been a 10.06 at 127MPH. I haven't got to make a clean nitrous pass yet...I'm too cheap to get it refilled
Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Launching!

LOL!

well played silverado, well played
Old 05-13-2010, 11:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pitbull329
LOL!

well played silverado, well played
Back when I was bolt ons and a stock converter. I think I had the car for a week in that video. Had a mail order TSP tune and it SUCKED as in drive ability. It would die about five times before I could get it out of the driveway.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02 wife
I guess everybody has their own definition of bone stock. Are your shocks stock replacements or performance upgrades?
Adjustable, so I should be able to get close enough to stock to be satisfactory I'd think. Regardless, I highly doubt just my shocks are going to make or break the race
Old 05-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oddwraith
So are you saying that your new stang may only be a "tad" faster than your camaro? That's pretty much what I was trying to say on here but some people don't want to listen. Is it YOUR Camaro, and is it as stockish as you say? Just wondering because I'd hate to be accused of ignoring facts. Either way though, it's a stout mustang and it'll open up a little for sure after break in (which aint no 10-15000 miles or whatever ). I'm sure if driven to it's potential it'll take a stock ls1, but like you said, not by as much as some us on here thought. I was trying to play devils advocate a little earlier but then everyone started calling my poor Firehawk slow I could have that car in the 11s in a flash, means nothing though. I want to keep it stockish or easily reverted back to stock. Some guys think that if you don't have a fast ride that you aren't entitled to your opinion, or that you know nothing Plus, my Firehawk is plenty fast for what I use it for, chavez... and stopsign, and all you other stupid heads lol jk.
I think right now as is with 150 miles on it if i could do it again without a passenger and with tc completly off i think it's a tad faster.

Now if i get the new tuner in and can disable any electronic throttle controls and torque management and the motor loosens up a bit i think it should be able to pull on the ls1. (notice the word should because it's really only speculation)
Old 05-14-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Kenny's car runs good and he can drive, someone set this up!
Old 05-14-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now here is the voice of reason:

As much as I am a GM fan I do truly respect the new Mustang. And I know it's a tad ricer, but the excuses are valid. I know it will sound redundant as this has been said numberous times throughout the thread but to reiterate:

Factors that limited the 5.0L:
- Extra 250 lbs (Not sure how credible this is)
- Traction Control was still on
- Brand spanking new with no break-in period
- Full Tank of Gas
- Driver may be experienced but inexperienced in this particular brand new car

Reverse all those factors and I truly believe the outcome would have been different. To say that the Camaro would still be a half a car to a car in front is pretty absurd.

Having said that, I want to adress something hasn't been pointed out. I am curious as to the condition of the Camaro in the video. For some reason, the Ford fanatics on this site are assuming this is a healthy bone stock LS1 in tip-top condition. I don't know if I believe this. The owner said that when had it equipped in his car it put down 334 HP when it was at 15k. I am not sure how many miles it has on now or how many years it has been since that reading but all things deteriorate. We don't know if it has been meticulously maintained over the years. Sure it has a Whisper Lid but is the filter clean? Is the fluids fresh? Have they been changed at the recommended intervals? How much of a beating is currently on the suspension? Worn out shocks? Worn out bushings? Is the car running OK or does it need a tune-up? My car jus' turned over 40k and I am now having problems with the catalytic converter. I am throwing codes that says the efficiency of the cats are compromised meaning that they are clogged and robbing horsepower. Other variables like these have not been answered.

I also want to point out that the Mustang got a lead off the line and I believe I heard the Camaro bounce off the rev-limiter.

Take away all these variables and we'll have a better reference. Until then we will have to wait and see what other 5.0's can do at the track and on the streets. Nevertheless, it is pretty funny stuff: A hyped up, brand new 5.0L that has been talked about non-stop is finally out on the streets only to be beat by a rival engine that made it's debut in 1997.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Quick Reply: 2011 mustang 5.0 getting beat by stock ls1