Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

'11 5.0 vs '01 SS : Driver response/Info

Old 05-13-2010, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '11 5.0 vs '01 SS : Driver response/Info

I posted this at the end of the other thread, but figured it would be good to post by itself to clear some things up.

I was in the SS. The guy driving the 5.0 owns both cars (he's had the 'Stang on order for months).

Here is the run-down:
The SS is a 2001 with 90k miles or thereabouts. The engine in it was mine and is out of a 2002 SS and has about 30k miles on it. The engine is stock other than a whisper lid on it. It has stock manifolds, stock cats, stock exhaust. It put down 334rwhp when it was in my car with 15k miles on it through the center exit SLP exhaust. Matt's car doesn't have that exhaust, but I doubt that effects the power output. I ran a 12.89 in my car with the motor and the stock F1s.

The 5.0 had 8.6 miles on it when we left the dealership. We literally filled up and then ran. The car isn't broken in - AT ALL. Give her some time to loosen up and she'll pick up some speed. The traction control wasn't fully turned off in the 5.0 on the runs either. We didn't know you have to be stopped, brake on, hold the button down for 10 seconds, spin and top and spit out the window to fully disable it. That will make a difference as the 5.0 was cutting out on shifts.

He can post in here what he feels on driving, but I can say that he most certainly knows how to drive and he was running full out. With the traction control completely off the result will be different. Once it has some miles on the clock the result will be different. How different, who knows?

I'm still proud of my old engine - she's a good one!
Old 05-13-2010, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

And the comments on the jumps - the Camaro was giving the Mustang the go ahead. Screw the honks or whatever, SS just said they'd go when the 5.0 did.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Just out of curiosity what happened to the original LS1 in the '01?
Old 05-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This should end the thread of the other one. No more ifs or buts.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Priest
Just out of curiosity what happened to the original LS1 in the '01?
Duh didn't read that correct the first time.

I had driven through a puddle that was deeper than it looked and right after the puddle was a slight incline leading up to the railroad tracks. Once i drove through the puddle i hit the low spot (you couldn't see the low spot cause the water was too dark) and the water moved past the front fasica and up into the intake from then on all that was needed was gravity and water got into the intake and blew the water.

Cliffs : hydro-locked

And just so you know the car did feel way diffrent once we put that new ls1 motor in it.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Mmmmk. Thought it might've been something tragic? Just don't make much sense to me to swap identical motors. Maybe I'm missing something. Nice rides, anyway.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Banned

Actually it made perfect sense...

Lanky, a good friend who i have known since i was young, had a forged motor put in his 02 ss @ 20 something thousand miles. He was sitting on the ls1 motor just in case he ever wanted to return it to stock.

So last october, I was waiting for the release of the 5.0 so i could order one and that would be my new daily driver. And when i blew the original ls1 he offered me his old one and i bought it cause it was my only car at the time and i needed a way to get to work.

I knew the motor was in great shape and i knew it complete history down to it driving off the lot, it had low miles and was covered by my insurance even though it was through a friend. It was really a no-brianer and as you can see that ls1 motor was broken in perfectly by someone who knows motors pretty well.

Lanky did the install along with a little help but he knows his lsx blocks and i had complete confidence that he would get me back up and running in no time.

I have always planned to just sell the ss once my 5.0 came in but i am not so sure now, and no it's not because of the youtube video but moreso because cars these days are just getting heavier and heavier and we might never see t-tops again. Not to mention for the last year i have never gotten so many complements driving around town than i did with that black ss.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

My dads car didn't feel any different from the day he bought it and to this point with 13k miles on it. So I doubt break in will help very much. But traction control would of been a good idea to take off lol
Old 05-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bigjohns97
Actually it made perfect sense...

Lanky, a good friend who i have known since i was young, had a forged motor put in his 02 ss @ 20 something thousand miles. He was sitting on the ls1 motor just in case he ever wanted to return it to stock.

So last october, I was waiting for the release of the 5.0 so i could order one and that would be my new daily driver. And when i blew the original ls1 he offered me his old one and i bought it cause it was my only car at the time and i needed a way to get to work.

I knew the motor was in great shape and i knew it complete history down to it driving off the lot, it had low miles and was covered by my insurance even though it was through a friend. It was really a no-brianer and as you can see that ls1 motor was broken in perfectly by someone who knows motors pretty well.

Lanky did the install along with a little help but he knows his lsx blocks and i had complete confidence that he would get me back up and running in no time.

I have always planned to just sell the ss once my 5.0 came in but i am not so sure now, and no it's not because of the youtube video but moreso because cars these days are just getting heavier and heavier and we might never see t-tops again. Not to mention for the last year i have never gotten so many complements driving around town than i did with that black ss.
Lol, you answered my original question. =D
Old 05-13-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LankyLS-1
I posted this at the end of the other thread, but figured it would be good to post by itself to clear some things up.

I was in the SS. The guy driving the 5.0 owns both cars (he's had the 'Stang on order for months).

Here is the run-down:
The SS is a 2001 with 90k miles or thereabouts. The engine in it was mine and is out of a 2002 SS and has about 30k miles on it. The engine is stock other than a whisper lid on it. It has stock manifolds, stock cats, stock exhaust. It put down 334rwhp when it was in my car with 15k miles on it through the center exit SLP exhaust. Matt's car doesn't have that exhaust, but I doubt that effects the power output. I ran a 12.89 in my car with the motor and the stock F1s.

The 5.0 had 8.6 miles on it when we left the dealership. We literally filled up and then ran. The car isn't broken in - AT ALL. Give her some time to loosen up and she'll pick up some speed. The traction control wasn't fully turned off in the 5.0 on the runs either. We didn't know you have to be stopped, brake on, hold the button down for 10 seconds, spin and top and spit out the window to fully disable it. That will make a difference as the 5.0 was cutting out on shifts.

He can post in here what he feels on driving, but I can say that he most certainly knows how to drive and he was running full out. With the traction control completely off the result will be different. Once it has some miles on the clock the result will be different. How different, who knows?

I'm still proud of my old engine - she's a good one!
A) thank you for posting that.

B) I think some seat time in that thing will help too, not just the TC/break in.

C) 12.89 with LID only is pretty impressive man. Congrats.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:01 PM

Great post! I'm not going to bother posting in the other thread since it's just gotten rediculous in there, but this shows that everything is not always as it seems and the internet armchair dart throwers don't know everything.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What happened with him racing a G8 with full exhaust??
Old 05-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned

me and the g8 were pretty even although i still didn't have traction control turned off.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any vids of the G8 ??
Old 05-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go find yourself another couple LS1 fbodies and race them: Along with throwing some miles on that beast! then come back here and let everyone know how it went.

Edit: also found out that the G8 was headers, cai, tune only and they where door to door until well over 100 where the 5.0 started to pull.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

[rant]Who gives a ****? I mean really, we don't need another thread about the 2011 GT winning or losing. Post this information in the other thread where it belongs.[/rant]
Old 05-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

[rant response] ^^^^^^^^Sore Loser [/rant response]
Old 05-13-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I always want to know a story of a LS1 eating a Mustang, especially a new 5.0l!! But the TC needs to be off.

Anyway, the way it did against this G8 proves the new 5.0l is a strong bastard!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
[rant response] ^^^^^^^^Sore Loser [/rant response]
Shut up!!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I always want to know a story of a LS1 eating a Mustang, especially a new 5.0l!! But the TC needs to be off.

Anyway, the way it did against this G8 proves the new 5.0l is a strong bastard!
Don't know, what does a LT/tune/CAI G8 run? I would assume it's heavy *** would be 12.8-13.2 at around 109mph?? Figure around 360rwhp in a 4000+ pound 4 door.
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Shut up!!

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 05-13-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '11 5.0 vs '01 SS : Driver response/Info