Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cobra's are fast...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
He did nothing but run people for money. Put it this way, he ran 1000cc bikes for cash on the street. Car was stupid crazy and he has never been one to care of his cars blow or not. He has since gone to Supras and he now has a Supra that is well over 1,000rwhp. I heard rumors it was 1,500rwhp but he will never come out and say. He is like me when it comes to letting people know what is done to your car. I guess its a street racing thing.
Yeah, I hear ya. I don't think I've ever seen you mention a specific part you have.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He is one of my close close close friends. Plenty of people called bullshit out at the races. He told them he would pull the motor out and break it down in front of them if they were willing to bet $$$. At some points I believed he was lying to me. But when he pulled the motor (I cant remember what went wrong, this was 6 or so years ago) I helped him and right there on the engine stand I looked at it and it was infact a 2 bolt main 302 with the stock rods and pistons in it. Past that I can't explain it. I guess its like those stock T5 transmissions that will handle 10 second cars. Just doesn't make sense. Moral of the story is nothing is set in stone when it comes to HP limits...
I agree with your moral of the story, but I must say, it's REALLY hard to believe any stock 302 block would hold that power. I did hear of a guy running 8's on what was called a stock block, but Idonno man... I've seen so many break before 600rwhp, it's hard to imagine one making more and lasting at all, even with a girdle and forged internals. Crank walk OWNED those blocks.

A fairly good friend of mine managed 8.90's(early 2000's) with his bored 302(to 309.x) and it held up well... But it was an R block and when I helped him work on it, this was evident to me. I pointed out what I saw and he just smiled and said, "Yeah, I know right..."

This same guy had another 302 that he stroked to a 347 and ran like 12.5:1 compression with race gas. On the motor I bet it made...500rwhp. That block only lasted alittle over 4 months. It hung right there with my 126mph car at the time.
I would only hope, if it was a FOX body making 500rwhp, it would run with your car which ran 126mph... Any sort of good launch at all and such a car should pull mid 10's. Back in the 90's when I raced a Mustang, it had a 308 with stock internals aside from the cam... It also made about 460rwhp on the juice and ran consistently in the 122mph range. The engine lasted for a long time, but I didn't race it daily. Eventually, an injector connection came loose and that 1 dead cylinder caused the block to split right down the center. That was my last 30anything. It was fun while it lasted.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I agree with your moral of the story, but I must say, it's REALLY hard to believe any stock 302 block would hold that power. I did hear of a guy running 8's on what was called a stock block, but Idonno man... I've seen so many break before 600rwhp, it's hard to imagine one making more and lasting at all, even with a girdle and forged internals. Crank walk OWNED those blocks.

A fairly good friend of mine managed 8.90's(early 2000's) with his bored 302(to 309.x) and it held up well... But it was an R block and when I helped him work on it, this was evident to me. I pointed out what I saw and he just smiled and said, "Yeah, I know right..."

I would only hope, if it was a FOX body making 500rwhp, it would run with your car which ran 126mph... Any sort of good launch at all and such a car should pull mid 10's. Back in the 90's when I raced a Mustang, it had a 308 with stock internals aside from the cam... It also made about 460rwhp on the juice and ran consistently in the 122mph range. The engine lasted for a long time, but I didn't race it daily. Eventually, an injector connection came loose and that 1 dead cylinder caused the block to split right down the center. That was my last 30anything. It was fun while it lasted.
I agree with you on the hard to believe, it was hard to believe. And when the motor was broken open I still thought "how?". But it was!

And it wasn't a Fox it was a SN95 and when we raced it was on the street. And my 126mph car was a 3600lb 99 Cobra at the time.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with you on the hard to believe, it was hard to believe. And when the motor was broken open I still thought "how?". But it was!
That definately falls into the have to see it to believe it category. No I'm not calling you a liar but that is pretty far from the norm.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
We've totally hi-jacked a REALLY funny thread! At least it's been a learning experience.

I think what John was saying may be 100% correct, but he was talking about engines in excess of 1000 rwhp from the looks. There are many '03/04 Cobras making between 700 and 725rwhp with their original blocks, but there aren't all that many 1000+rwhp cars, period, regardless the engine. Personally, I prefer aluminum for any application that can use it based on weight and more importantly, weight transfer. If an iron block can handle more power in any given engine, and if I want to maximize the power, I'll use iron... provided I think that power is going to be advantageous over a 100lb difference on the front of the car. Then again, I haven't ever been all that serious about building race cars. It's only been a hobby for the most part. While I tore down and rebuilt a few 4.6L's, I don't consider that to make me any sort of expert on how good or bad it is. If I need to do it, I can, but not in any special way to make competition power.

As I recall, John used a 5.4L engine to run low 7's back in 2001, before any 4.6 Cobra got an iron block. I was thinking that block came from a Navi and was aluminum, but maybe it was iron. It seems he still favors the 5.4L as well. I just don't study these engines nearly enough to know and my memory ain't what it was then... The car had to be making more than 1400hp though, to run that quickly down the track. I wanna say it was .20's or even teens. That takes BIG power. Someone else, maybe Sean Hyland, was using a 4.6L with a major weight advantage and getting nearly the same numbers. Those were the guys who "opened my eyes" to the possibilities with Modulars, but I never bothered to try such a build. I knew they are capable then... That's all.

I've read that the quickest 4.6L is in the 6.4's now... Anyone know what block he's using? I've heard his name many times before, but can't remember who at the moment. Big time Mustang racer, no doubt.
he is using a race prepped teksid. i heard his best run is a 6.19 now.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:15 PM

I dont think the 03/04 cobras are the fastest car on the road but for what you have to do for them to make them run hard you cant beat the price. If you do a kenne bell/whipple swap on 93 octane they usually make 600-650rwhp @ 18-20psi. Switch to E85 and 700-725 seems to be the norm. Turbos are anywhere from 700-1000rwhp it seems. And that is usually with opening up the motor. IMO thats awsome for a lil 281. I actually found a guy that was hurting for money so I traded him my stock SC, and injectors +$1800 for his Whipple, 60#injectors, and BAP. I had to buy a MAF which I already had. I have a total of $2200 in motor mods in my car. I only have it pullied for 15lbs. It goes to the dyno this saturday and my tuner told me to expect somewhere around 550-575rwhpon 91 oct. Not too bad for $2200 + the 26K I paid for the car 4yrs ago with 13K miles. They are no Corvette by any means but hey, Its fun to kick *** in it on saturday nights and then when people see the car seat in the back they cant beleive it. Yes its a family car and I take it to get groceries.
Typically with a driver they weigh 3800-4K lbs. I destoyed my IRS when I first got the car so I did the SRA swap. This last winter I swapped back to the IRS and did all the bushing and braces. I was afraid the car would turn into a drag car if I left it the way it was. They rid nice and handle good too. Plus the polished catback looks badass under the gas tank. JMO
Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by killerSVTcobra
I dont think the 03/04 cobras are the fastest car on the road but for what you have to do for them to make them run hard you cant beat the price. If you do a kenne bell/whipple swap on 93 octane they usually make 600-650rwhp @ 18-20psi. Switch to E85 and 700-725 seems to be the norm. Turbos are anywhere from 700-1000rwhp it seems. And that is usually with opening up the motor. IMO thats awsome for a lil 281. I actually found a guy that was hurting for money so I traded him my stock SC, and injectors +$1800 for his Whipple, 60#injectors, and BAP. I had to buy a MAF which I already had. I have a total of $2200 in motor mods in my car. I only have it pullied for 15lbs. It goes to the dyno this saturday and my tuner told me to expect somewhere around 550-575rwhpon 91 oct. Not too bad for $2200 + the 26K I paid for the car 4yrs ago with 13K miles. They are no Corvette by any means but hey, Its fun to kick *** in it on saturday nights and then when people see the car seat in the back they cant beleive it. Yes its a family car and I take it to get groceries.
Typically with a driver they weigh 3800-4K lbs. I destoyed my IRS when I first got the car so I did the SRA swap. This last winter I swapped back to the IRS and did all the bushing and braces. I was afraid the car would turn into a drag car if I left it the way it was. They rid nice and handle good too. Plus the polished catback looks badass under the gas tank. JMO
Very well said.....
Old 06-09-2010, 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by assasinator
he is using a race prepped teksid. i heard his best run is a 6.19 now.
Me too, but I couldn't find it again after the 1st place I saw it and can't remember where that was. THAT'S FAST!