Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My Z28 vs Ported Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess I just have too high of expectations for my money. I'm running a 9" with 4.11s. When I opened my cutout the track went away and I ran an 11.78 @ 118 mph with 1.75 60' when my best 60' was a 1.65. That's all at a track at 2300' elevation in the summer, 3000+ da. I'm doing that with unported 243s and a 224 cam. If you don't optimize your setup it won't like it should. With a 230s cam and trickflows I'd hope to gain atleast 40 rwhp. My times currently correct to over 121 mph at a sea level times. I guess if you're happy with the performance from your high dollar heads than more power to you. But maybe if you want to take some advice from others your setup could run even harder.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
You're way too nice man. Just tell them they're retarded and we can have a laugh about it.
big internet tough guy now that your buddies a moderator huh?

get a life you bumm
Old 07-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

I find nothing wrong with your car. It seems to run on par for your mods. Putting on a FAST 90/90 would definitely help you out, though. I am, however, surprised at how well the Cobra ran.

I'll also be interested to see whatll happen with better pressure and equal passengers. Or even run him with PSM sitting in the Cobra to see the difference his skinny *** makes. I kid, i kid.

Too bad ya'll are so far away, it seems like a lot of stout cars are around you. Id love to run with ya'll.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by maxspeed05V
big internet tough guy now that your buddies a moderator huh?

get a life you bumm
I have a life. It involves (among other things) driving and enjoying both of my cars to the fullest.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sweet runs SRZ. I love nice clear in car runs! Everytime you put up a vid, it's perfect filming! Keep it up. And not sure why everyones bashing. It's like your all forgetting the fact that terminators wiped the streets when they first came out. It's a bad *** motor in those cars and I think SRZ's car held it's own with it. Who knows, cobra could have one hell of a tune.

And do you ever go to the pike anymore SRZ? Went last saturday and was hoping to see a few people but all I ever see is just Todd.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
Sweet runs SRZ. I love nice clear in car runs! Everytime you put up a vid, it's perfect filming! Keep it up. And not sure why everyones bashing. It's like your all forgetting the fact that terminators wiped the streets when they first came out. It's a bad *** motor in those cars and I think SRZ's car held it's own with it. Who knows, cobra could have one hell of a tune.

And do you ever go to the pike anymore SRZ? Went last saturday and was hoping to see a few people but all I ever see is just Todd.
I was there for a while. I'm there most Saturdays, but I probably won't be up there tomorrow, just as a heads up. Just watch for a blue/black GSXR 600. I do have a tendency to ride a lot more than hang out when I'm up there now that I have the bike, especially since I get like 50+ mpg gallon just cruising around.

I also have to say that one thing I like about the bike crowd more than the car crowd is that when we meet up on bikes, the intent is to go out and ride, and we do. With the car guys, it's typically "Let's all stand around and talk for a few hours, maybe about how my car is faster than this one but not that one, so I won't race that one because I might lose, but I'll race this guy because I'll definitely beat him..." and then they never end up even going out to run, nevermind cruise around for a while. It's all about looking cool in a parking space and talking dyno numbers. BOOOOOOOO.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 07-09-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

I was with Todd last Saturday - where were u?? We were all in the lower lot at Garlics chillin and then we cruised a little bit
Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Guess I just have too high of expectations for my money. I'm running a 9" with 4.11s. When I opened my cutout the track went away and I ran an 11.78 @ 118 mph with 1.75 60' when my best 60' was a 1.65. That's all at a track at 2300' elevation in the summer, 3000+ da. I'm doing that with unported 243s and a 224 cam. If you don't optimize your setup it won't like it should. With a 230s cam and trickflows I'd hope to gain atleast 40 rwhp. My times currently correct to over 121 mph at a sea level times. I guess if you're happy with the performance from your high dollar heads than more power to you. But maybe if you want to take some advice from others your setup could run even harder.
Here's another way to look at it. It looks like your FAST was worth a good 20 rwhp, which would having me trapping 121ish if I had one on mine, and I'd be putting down 452 cutout open, and 460 without the nitrous tune.

For some history on my track numbers, when I first got my cam in (stock driveline) I made 420 rwhp and trapped 117.9 mph. After getting the 12-bolt, heavier driveshaft, heavy wheels, nitrous tune, and putting an UD pulley on the car I was sitting at 400 rwhp. After some practice I was still able to hit 117.1 mph (due to my being a better driver than a couple years prior when I ran the 117.9). After swapping my 26" tires for a set of 28" tires the car never did better than 115.x mph at that track due to the gearing differences and heavier rotating weight, I'm guessing. After swapping the heads, I trapped 119.7 my only time with it, which means I gained 4 mph (same 28" wheel/tire combo as when I was trapping 115). How much more can you expect? I made 3 passes that day and every one was over 119 mph. A little more seat time with the combo and I'll be hitting 120 in the same air, and probably 122 in better air at the same track.

Now on the spray there is definitely an air/fuel problem which I haven't started playing around with yet, but that's why I stick with the 100 shot. Once I get that fixed up and start hitting it with the 150 then the car will be a much stronger player in the street game.

I appreciate that people are trying to help find a "problem", and I know that in previous threads I've asked for it, but even if I did a compression check and things were a little off, I'm not going to tear the motor apart right now, so I don't see the point until I'm ready to go to town with it. I know the car runs good and there are members on here, who made significantly more hp than me that I walked away from, who can verify that, haha.

Sweet runs SRZ. I love nice clear in car runs! Everytime you put up a vid, it's perfect filming! Keep it up.

Thanks, man! I try to get up there occassionally, but I get very sick of the same bullshit all the time. Idiots racing from every light even though they know it's a bad spot and are drawing unwanted attention. Idiots acting out Tokyo Drift in the parking lots, running over pedestrians. ******** that run certain cruise nights and act like they own the world because they have money. Then there's always the people that talk ****, but will never race anyone because they might lose. It's just tiring after a while. I honestly have more fun just driving around or meeting up with friends on Sunday or during the week for our own little mini cruises.

That's why this race was so fun. We met up in the afternoon on a Friday, got coffee, cruised a bit, lined up the cars and got a couple real nice race videos. No one was acting tough, no one was whining about this or that being unfair, everyone gave props after the race and agreed that another race would be fun with a full bottle and equal passengers, and that some motor runs would be nice to do as well.

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 07-09-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you've got it all figured out! Only 1.65 60's with that "high dollar" 9" with 4.11's? I guess you could use a little help too, huh?
BTW...correcting trap speeds is extremely gay. Leave that for the ricers.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I was there for a while. I'm there most Saturdays, but I probably won't be up there tomorrow, just as a heads up. Just watch for a blue/black GSXR 600. I do have a tendency to ride a lot more than hang out when I'm up there now that I have the bike, especially since I get like 50+ mpg gallon just cruising around.

I also have to say that one thing I like about the bike crowd more than the car crowd is that when we meet up on bikes, the intent is to go out and ride, and we do. With the car guys, it's typically "Let's all stand around and talk for a few hours, maybe about how my car is faster than this one but not that one, so I won't race that one because I might lose, but I'll race this guy because I'll definitely beat him..." and then they never end up even going out to run, nevermind cruise around for a while. It's all about looking cool in a parking space and talking dyno numbers. BOOOOOOOO.
I havn't met you yet so next time I see a blue 600 I'll have to swing by and see if your around! And yea I feel ya on the car crowd down there. Thats why I come down with a select few freinds and keep the conversations between them for the most part. Never played with a bike yet but I'm sure one is in my future sometime. I've always wanted to at least say I owned one for a little while!

Originally Posted by sujomatt
I was with Todd last Saturday - where were u?? We were all in the lower lot at Garlics chillin and then we cruised a little bit
I havn't talked to Todd in FOREVER! We used to have a group I always met up with there but it kind of just started breaking up one year and since then I havn't talked to him much. Next time I see him I'll have to stop and say hi, and see if your around. What are you ussually driving? The camaro?

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Thanks, man! I try to get up there occassionally, but I get very sick of the same bullshit all the time. Idiots racing from every light even though they know it's a bad spot and are drawing unwanted attention. Idiots acting out Tokyo Drift in the parking lots, running over pedestrians. ******** that run certain cruise nights and act like they own the world because they have money. Then there's always the people that talk ****, but will never race anyone because they might lose. It's just tiring after a while. I honestly have more fun just driving around or meeting up with friends on Sunday or during the week for our own little mini cruises.

That's why this race was so fun. We met up in the afternoon on a Friday, got coffee, cruised a bit, lined up the cars and got a couple real nice race videos. No one was acting tough, no one was whining about this or that being unfair, everyone gave props after the race and agreed that another race would be fun with a full bottle and equal passengers, and that some motor runs would be nice to do as well.
Yea deffinately hear ya on all the BS around there. After all the years you'd think people would cut the burning out and drifting in the parking lots, or racing at every light. I to this day have still NEVER been bothered by the cops down there and I intend to keep it that way!

Just last sat there was a kid with a bolt on SRT4 neon saying his car ran 12's bone stock and he was trying to run an 11.6 turbo civic for 500$. I really came close to busting out laughing on that one! And the funny thing was, the kid with the civic was actually pretty car smart. Such a classic crowd down there. It's good for laughs at the very least! I'll keep my eye out for ya still since I'm there almost every Sat.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by unit213
it sounds like you've got it all figured out! Only 1.65 60's with that "high dollar" 9" with 4.11's? I guess you could use a little help too, huh?
btw...correcting trap speeds is extremely gay. Leave that for the ricers.
+275600
Old 07-09-2010, 03:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
It sounds like you've got it all figured out! Only 1.65 60's with that "high dollar" 9" with 4.11's? I guess you could use a little help too, huh?
BTW...correcting trap speeds is extremely gay. Leave that for the ricers.
Honestly the 9" / torque arm combo is the same price as buying a moser 9" / 12 bolt than adding a new crossmember and torque arm. It's a lighter / smarter purchase. 1.65 60' is pretty good for 122,000 mile lowered stock slp level 2 suspension... Especially since I've only made 5-6 total passes with the rear and slicks, clutch also sticks to the floor. NHRA uses altitude corrections for tracks, they must be extremely gay too.

Yes I could use some help on suspension setup / launching as the only thing I've done is set pinion angle. If you'd like to lend a hand and come help set the car up I'd appreciate it.

Good videos and if you're happy with the car thats all that matters.

http://www.nhra.com/competition/altitude.aspx
Old 07-09-2010, 03:10 PM

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Teching In

ScreaminredZ- I think your car runs good. I do think with a full bottle and equal weight you will win. Your car is a lot lighter with better gearing. I would like to see different runs....like different rolls and digs. Just hope the Cobra guy doesnt keep racing again and again cuz heatsoak is a bitch. BTW- Your attitude torwards racing is awsome. You just like to race what ya brung and have fun and with no excuses thats how it should be.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by corysmach1
ScreaminredZ- I think your car runs good. I do think with a full bottle and equal weight you will win. Your car is a lot lighter with better gearing. I would like to see different runs....like different rolls and digs. Just hope the Cobra guy doesnt keep racing again and again cuz heatsoak is a bitch. BTW- Your attitude torwards racing is awsome. You just like to race what ya brung and have fun and with no excuses thats how it should be.
Agree. But the heatsoak is about a wash with losing bottle pressure.

Also. Just because you can get a nitrous bottle to the correct pressure dont mean you will get a clean hit. If you have to heat a bottle to the point it switches to a gas even with bottle pressure the hit will add much less power due to losing the cooling effects of the nitrous. Just adding my .02 C
Old 07-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that's a worthwhile post. Leave all the other bullshit at the door. We're all here because we enjoy racing.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn I know ported blower cobra's were fast but not that damn fast.. Damn What about the TVS blower I heard that was just as good a KB but cheaper Is this true???
Old 07-09-2010, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Way to hold up that ls1! Yeah those 03 cobra's are no joke when modded
Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
damn I know ported blower cobra's were fast but not that damn fast.. Damn What about the TVS blower I heard that was just as good a KB but cheaper Is this true???
I have a friend with a 427R Roush that upgraded to the TVR blower. I'm not sure what he trapped last time we went to LVD but he walked away from me like I was in the wrong gear when we lined up on the highway. He didn't pull me quite as hard as his friend's pullied GT500, though, for a reference.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by corysmach1
Thanks! We'll definitely find out, even if it takes a couple weeks for us to be able to meet up again. The Cobra is getting some more mods too, so we should be able to get some videos of him destroying me on the spray before too long

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
Also. Just because you can get a nitrous bottle to the correct pressure dont mean you will get a clean hit. If you have to heat a bottle to the point it switches to a gas even with bottle pressure the hit will add much less power due to losing the cooling effects of the nitrous. Just adding my .02 C
The reason the pressure was low was due to there not being enough nitrous in the bottle, not because I didn't heat it enough. In the summer I really have to heat it very little, if at all to get it to hit and stay at 900-1000 psi.

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I have a friend with a 427R Roush that upgraded to the TVR blower. I'm not sure what he trapped last time we went to LVD but he walked away from me like I was in the wrong gear when we lined up on the highway. He didn't pull me quite as hard as his friend's pullied GT500, though, for a reference.
I believe he was running 11.4ish @ 123 mph. I could be slightly off, but it was right in that range.