Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2 near stock '02 WS6's verse 2 '11 5.0 GT's.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorFan08
Too bad theres none in central fl! I know of some people who would be down.. Anyways, I predict the LS1 will jump out a half car till about 60, then 5.0 will put 3-4 cars on it by 110 ish... What you guys think?
Gaining 4-5 cars from 60-110 is an absolute MURDER, no way it will be that ugly.

And I'm sure you are right.. NOBODY in central FL has a new 5.0.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GatorFan08
Too bad theres none in central fl! I know of some people who would be down.. Anyways, I predict the LS1 will jump out a half car till about 60, then 5.0 will put 3-4 cars on it by 110 ish... What you guys think?
Damn, gaining 4 and a half cars from 60-110mph. My guess is that's not gonna happen, especially with automatics.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

I mean people that will actually race lol! Ive only seen a few and older ladies were driving them. Anyways I think it will be even till 50 or 60 because the 5.0 will spin for a bit, then hook and take off. Most auto ls1s run 13.5 or a little better stock. Look what this 5.0 did on 87 octane and a tune, now I know the 5.0s that are racing are stock, but a tune on 87 wont pick up much..I would think maybe a tenth or two?? Which is still quite a bit quicker than a stock A4 LS1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ2jB...layer_embedded

Last edited by GatorFan08; 07-31-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: I type too fastt
Old 07-31-2010, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well We have do do this the right way.... All LS1 Cars
F-bodys by half a car till 60... By 120 5.0 by 2-3
GTO down by 1/2-1 car then by 120 GTO down by 4-5
Vettes 02-04 by a car at 60 Then by 120 5.0 by 1-2 cars....\

LS2s
GTO maybe down by 2 cars at 120
Vette Holding by a car or so at 120
TBSS down by 2-3 cars

LS3
Camaro 5.0 by2-3 cars by 120
Vette by a car or so...

GM Needs to hurry up with the LS5 5.5 L
Old 07-31-2010, 08:46 PM
Teching In

I just got back from a 1hr 45 minute drive from the desert, it was about 95* out and very very humid. I wont spoil the results so I will let you guys just see the videos give me about an hour or so to put them up
Old 07-31-2010, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
I just got back from a 1hr 45 minute drive from the desert, it was about 95* out and very very humid. I wont spoil the results so I will let you guys just see the videos give me about an hour or so to put them up
WOO! Ive been waitin to here the results!! Deep down I want the LS1 to stomp a mudhole in the 5.0! But really, well I posted what I think would happen. But hey hopefully im wrong!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

From all the magazines I've read they all seem to say the 5.0 is trapping 111's. And then you show the video above ^^^ with it trapping 111mph. When I was just lid and catback I went to the sacramento raceway and was trapping 111mph after the sun went down, so it seems like it should be really close.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

I wont spoil the results, but lets just say that BOTH guys were surprised/ let down by the results. Manny couldnt get off in time: he tried to make it, even got off work early and started heading up to us but it wasnt meant to be: Levi and his 5.0 were done racing and called it a night so I had to tell Manny to head back home.

The other 5.0 backed out and the '10 SS guy that was my surprise guest was busy and couldnt get away. Manny and NiteriderWS6 made plans to meet up and race each other: don't know if it ever came to fruition. Manny? Niterider? Well?

Conditions: high 90's temp, low low humidity, 3200' elevation. NiteriderWS6's car quite literally drove all the way up here (including over a pass in 95+deg temps), turned off for 4-5 minutes, then raced back to back to back. 5.0 started up and drove 2 miles, sat for the same 4-5 minutes, then raced back to back to back. Numerous runs ensued: lots of runs and issues with launching equally and when to leave on what honk, etc.

All parties were VERY insistent on getting as even of race starts as possible.

Where was I? The 5.0 driver was paranoid about getting busted, so I sat near the end of the 5 mile long dead end road in the middle of the desert and held my cell phone in my hand, awaiting the very minimal chance that someone actually came down the road so I could warn them. What must have been 45 minutes of me watching for them- and occasionally catching view of some of the runs- then finally Levi in the 5.0 pulled up to me. Here is what he said:

"Damn man. (head shaking) I can't believe how strong those Firebird runs. (head shaking again). From a roll I just couldnt pull on him! That thing really moves out."

Me: "He (niteriderws6) called me 10 minutes ago. Said you killed him out of the hole. That true?"

Him: "Yeah I got him pretty good off the stop: got some cars on him and he couldnt come back. It was just those damned rolls that I couldnt seem to pull on him like I thought FOR SURE I would." (head shaking again)

(more head shaking) "I was so surprised when he lept out on me from most of the roll races: I held the gear and shifted at redline, there wasnt any real throttle lag his car just seemed to jump out on me on the hit and I never could regain the ground, all the way up to the top end. I sure enough had him from any low roll though. His car just seemed not able to take off as hard as mine."

He said a couple more things, about how the WS6 just seemed to have a gearing advantage and thru all the different roll races they did, the M6 always seemed to be able to jump out on him.

When NiteriderWS6 pulled up Levi said he had to go: The bar was calling his name.

I'll leave what NiteriderWS6 said to his own post: his video should be up soon. The 5.0 guy will be on soon also- I told him about this site and asked him to chime in incase anyone calls bullshit.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones

I wont spoil the results, but lets just say that BOTH guys were surprised/ let down by the results. Manny couldnt get off in time: he tried to make it, even got off work early and started heading up to us but it wasnt meant to be: Levi and his 5.0 were done racing and called it a night so I had to tell Manny to head back home.

The other 5.0 backed out and the '10 SS guy that was my surprise guest was busy and couldnt get away. Manny and NiteriderWS6 made plans to meet up and race each other: don't know if it ever came to fruition. Manny? Niterider? Well?

Conditions: high 90's temp, low low humidity, 3200' elevation. NiteriderWS6's car quite literally drove all the way up here (including over a pass in 95+deg temps), turned off for 4-5 minutes, then raced back to back to back. 5.0 started up and drove 2 miles, sat for the same 4-5 minutes, then raced back to back to back. Numerous runs ensued: lots of runs and issues with launching equally and when to leave on what honk, etc.

All parties were VERY insistent on getting as even of race starts as possible.

Where was I? The 5.0 driver was paranoid about getting busted, so I sat near the end of the 5 mile long dead end road in the middle of the desert and held my cell phone in my hand, awaiting the very minimal chance that someone actually came down the road so I could warn them. What must have been 45 minutes of me watching for them- and occasionally catching view of some of the runs- then finally Levi in the 5.0 pulled up to me. Here is what he said:

"Damn man. (head shaking) I can't believe how strong those Firebird runs. (head shaking again). From a roll I just couldnt pull on him! That thing really moves out."

Me: "He (niteriderws6) called me 10 minutes ago. Said you killed him out of the hole. That true?"

Him: "Yeah I got him pretty good off the stop: got some cars on him and he couldnt come back. It was just those damned rolls that I couldnt seem to pull on him like I thought FOR SURE I would." (head shaking again)

(more head shaking) "I was so surprised when he lept out on me from most of the roll races: I held the gear and shifted at redline, there wasnt any real throttle lag his car just seemed to jump out on me on the hit and I never could regain the ground, all the way up to the top end. I sure enough had him from any low roll though. His car just seemed not able to take off as hard as mine."

He said a couple more things, about how the WS6 just seemed to have a gearing advantage and thru all the different roll races they did, the M6 always seemed to be able to jump out on him.

When NiteriderWS6 pulled up Levi said he had to go: The bar was calling his name.

I'll leave what NiteriderWS6 said to his own post: his video should be up soon. The 5.0 guy will be on soon also- I told him about this site and asked him to chime in incase anyone calls bullshit.
dont ruin the suprise man!!! haha it was really nice meeting you, your a real cool guy and thanks for setting this all up.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Also: dug around NiteriderWS6's car as soon as he pulled into the parking lot. Here is what I found:

Lid. Catback. Cutouts (which I dont think he even used). Thats it for mods.

Here is what I saw that verified to me that he was untouched:

Untouched head bolts, stock head gaskets peaking out. Head and header bolts lightly weathered/corroded and exactly as dusty as everything else on the engine. Old dusty edges of exh. manifold gaskets. Cam cover EXACTLY as dirty as the block next to it. Which was exactly as dirty as the lower radiator mount (no one ever thinks to clean that). Cats stock and dirty, no fingerprints to indicate removal and gutting.

Throttle body gasket had been changed at least a year ago. Intake and intake bolts were clean enough to not be conclusive that they were never opened. I would assume and speculate that theyhad never been open, but not 100% positive.

Rearend: That rear end cover had never been off in the last 9 years, PERIOD. The bolts were rusted to the cover. Gasket was so old and weathered that I was surprised it hadnt started leaking already. I noticed a aftermarket rear bar that went directly from th left to right tire. Dont know the name of that bar, was straight with end links. ? It had been on there for years and years from the looks of it. I could barely tell that it had once been red. Doubt that Niterider even knew it was there. I didnt mention it too him.

His rims are 19"ers and appear to be pretty heavy. His tires are low profiles and dont provide alot of traction. Probably more traction than any stock Fbody ever came equipped with from the factory though. Aftermarket shift ***, and what appeared to be a aftermarket shift lever- but I'm not sure. Didnt some cars have a Hurst shifter from the factory?

On Niterider himself: a really down to earth, smart, world wise guy. Impressed me ALOT with his maturity and attitude. Also with what tidbits of his and his significant others (BEAUTIFUL Iranian born lady with brains and character) I deduced that him and his lady both had there heads screwed on a million times better than I did at there age.

I've had best friends that fit his mold to a "T". Guys I know I could drop in on 10 years later without notice and he would make me feel like family. He's one of them guys Lemons. I ask that you give him the benefit of the doubt and accord him the respect that, if you had met him, you would agree he deserves. Don't know what was said before in other threads that no one can seem to find now: I would take his word at face value.

And I'm pretty damned hard to impress: 10 years in the Navy will do that to you.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would have like to see an M6/M6... Kind of lame seeing an auto run an M6.

Glad you guys followed through though, thanks.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
dont ruin the suprise man!!! haha it was really nice meeting you, your a real cool guy and thanks for setting this all up.
Sorry man! I'm not very good at keeping something secret. lol
Old 07-31-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also: dug around NiteriderWS6's car as soon as he pulled into the parking lot. Here is what I found:

Lid. Catback. Cutouts (which I dont think he even used). Thats it for mods.

Here is what I saw that verified to me that he was untouched:

Untouched head bolts, stock head gaskets peaking out. Head and header bolts lightly weathered/corroded and exactly as dusty as everything else on the engine. Old dusty edges of exh. manifold gaskets. Cam cover EXACTLY as dirty as the block next to it. Which was exactly as dirty as the lower radiator mount (no one ever thinks to clean that). Cats stock and dirty, no fingerprints to indicate removal and gutting.

Throttle body gasket had been changed at least a year ago. Intake and intake bolts were clean enough to not be conclusive that they were never opened. I would assume and speculate that theyhad never been open, but not 100% positive.

Rearend: That rear end cover had never been off in the last 9 years, PERIOD. The bolts were rusted to the cover. Gasket was so old and weathered that I was surprised it hadnt started leaking already. I noticed a aftermarket rear bar that went directly from th left to right tire. Dont know the name of that bar, was straight with end links. ? It had been on there for years and years from the looks of it. I could barely tell that it had once been red. Doubt that Niterider even knew it was there. I didnt mention it too him.

His rims are 19"ers and appear to be pretty heavy. His tires are low profiles and dont provide alot of traction. Probably more traction than any stock Fbody ever came equipped with from the factory though. Aftermarket shift ***, and what appeared to be a aftermarket shift lever- but I'm not sure. Didnt some cars have a Hurst shifter from the factory?

On Niterider himself: a really down to earth, smart, world wise guy. Impressed me ALOT with his maturity and attitude. Also with what tidbits of his and his significant others (BEAUTIFUL Iranian born lady with brains and character) I deduced that him and his lady both had there heads screwed on a million times better than I did at there age.

I've had best friends that fit his mold to a "T". Guys I know I could drop in on 10 years later without notice and he would make me feel like family. He's one of them guys Lemons. I ask that you give him the benefit of the doubt and accord him the respect that, if you had met him, you would agree he deserves. Don't know what was said before in other threads that no one can seem to find now: I would take his word at face value.

And I'm pretty damned hard to impress: 10 years in the Navy will do that to you.
Damn it man... You went above and beyond!

I believe everything... Except the Niterider being cool bit.

I kid, I kid.

Long story short.. There was a (What I and many others consider racial) comment made in another thread. I retaliated with what I thought (and I thought long and hard about it before I posted because I am not racist at all) was on the same level.
For whatever reason Vend. pronounced his as a regional slur and mine as a racial slur. I got a ban for it.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12
I would have like to see an M6/M6... Kind of lame seeing an auto run an M6.

Glad you guys followed through though, thanks.
I hear ya: give me one week and I'll be setting up a decent sized showdown. Here is who I know will show:

'11 Mustang GT 5.0 M6 with Trackpack and a veteran driver
'02 WS6 full boltons and nitrous (my old nemesis LS1Punk)
'99 Z28 LT's, custom airbox, tune.
'02-'04? Viper GTS all stock with a rookie driver
'04 GTO full boltons
'99 FRC vette with full boltons, 3.91 gears and LS6 heads
Old 07-31-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hear ya: give me one week and I'll be setting up a decent sized showdown. Here is who I know will show:

'11 Mustang GT 5.0 M6 with Trackpack and a veteran driver
'02 WS6 full boltons and nitrous (my old nemesis LS1Punk)
'99 Z28 LT's, custom airbox, tune.
'02-'04? Viper GTS all stock with a rookie driver
'04 GTO full boltons
'99 FRC vette with full boltons, 3.91 gears and LS6 heads
Awesome!!
Old 07-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
5.0s and LS1s are going to a drivers race, which is what I expected.
I know I have 0 credit on here, reason one: I have no posts and have been lurking for years, reason two: I have a cobra. haha

But, I have to say you're wrong here, a buddy of mine just bought an '11 GT auto, with a set of 4:10's and tune he went 12.37@111(i'm not 100% sure on the trap, but I think that's it.) That E.T. is exactly what the bone stock 6 speed track pack's are going...I don't believe that is a drivers race. I'm not here to knock lsx guys, I love the cars, just have never came across a camaro or c5 vette optioned and in the condition for the price I wanna pay or I would have one. Sorry for the long post, I just don't want you guys thinking i'm here to start/talk ****. I'm not, I just think the ls1=new 5.0 comment was a little off. Maybe an ls6=5.0? Just my opinion(sorta) gentleman...Carry on.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 9cobra4
I know I have 0 credit on here, reason one: I have no posts and have been lurking for years, reason two: I have a cobra. haha

But, I have to say you're wrong here, a buddy of mine just bought an '11 GT auto, with a set of 4:10's and tune he went 12.37@111(i'm not 100% sure on the trap, but I think that's it.) That E.T. is exactly what the bone stock 6 speed track pack's are going...I don't believe that is a drivers race. I'm not here to knock lsx guys, I love the cars, just have never came across a camaro or c5 vette optioned and in the condition for the price I wanna pay or I would have one. Sorry for the long post, I just don't want you guys thinking i'm here to start/talk ****. I'm not, I just think the ls1=new 5.0 comment was a little off. Maybe an ls6=5.0? Just my opinion(sorta) gentleman...Carry on.
~sigh~ I have to say I believe a tune and 4.10 gears would net a 12.37 and any decent track with a 1000' DA or better (traction not being an issue, and a good driver). Those things are really held back with the stock tune.

That being said: I don't think a tune/cai/ track pack M6 is gonna pull much if at all in the 1/4 mile on a FULL bolton/tune M6 LS1 Fbody. They will launch harder, so a Fbody would need some suspension work to match it, but from a roll and MPH wise, a Fbody will be right there with it. IF it has full boltons (headers, Xpipe, cutouts or good catback, lid, free mods, maybe a LS6 or ported LS1 intake manifold and bigger maf, tune of course, and AT LEAST 3.42 gears) it will hang with a tune/CAI/catback 5.0 M6 Trackpack GT.

Just speculation of course: the results will show themselves ~ fleetingly, but on a sneakily regular basis as the cars get modded~ in kill/deaths posted up on here. They are a legit, cool car fellas. Having been around during the 80's and the original 5.0 boom where they where chasing everything on two wheels, I gotta say it is not going to be that way again. The LSx platform is too robust to allow that. However, the new 5.0 is EVERYTHING that the original was during it's reign: and it will start breaking hearts and confusing it's doubters in a year or so when modded ones are in every town. And the hardcore 'stang crowd gets ahold of them.

Mod your **** fellas, lets stop this "Mustang Era" in it's tracks! If you got a hot LSx and rarely drive it, or only at the track: break the damned thing out and go Mustang hunting. Make them EARN the right to the street cred that 'stang lovers are trying to bestow on them.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Interested to see what tires were used to achieve a 12.3 time on a stock 5.0. I bet it wasn't stock tires. My guess is 15in DRs on lightweight drag wheels.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Mod your **** fellas, lets stop this "Mustang Era" in it's tracks! If you got a hot LSx and rarely drive it, or only at the track: break the damned thing out and go Mustang hunting. Make them EARN the right to the street cred that 'stang lovers are trying to bestow on them.
I'd love to run into one. I'd even spray on him to make him be like WTF?!
Old 07-31-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is so gay. I wish I would of left earlier from work. I was in such a hurry to get home and change. I made my usual trip from home In 10 min which usually takes me 20. Well, either way it was good talking to you guys on the phone. Sticks and nite, cool guys. And niterider never hit me back up to meet up, probably was tired from the long drive. Still waiting for vids myself.