Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raggedy modded WRX refuses to dig race, but still dies

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 02:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Raggedy modded WRX refuses to dig race, but still dies

CLIFFS: modded, debadged 2005'ish WRX can't lose me in the corners, cant force me to run him from his sweet spot, then jumps without warning... only to hit his rev limiter just as I was flying by him regardless.

Cruising to work tonite and come up behind a debadged 2005'ish Subaru WRX just as we get to a very twisty part of the road: The Subi had already tried to leave me coming out of the previous corner so I knew he was game. Also knew he was pretty quick, too, with the very muted, low revving sound of a big turbo Subi engine. (don't get it twisted: they sound like shi'it)

Much to my disappointment he didn't prove any kind of challenge in the twisties as he obviously didnt know the road well. Coming into the big, last corner (steepest part of the road, 300 deg, uphill, increasing radius corner you enter at 40mph and exit at... whatever your hp and tires can manage.) He was WOT and I was glued to his bumper, my tires slightly drifting but in control all the way thru and onto the straight, where we took it to 100'ish with me letting up a couple times.

Now that I knew I had him, it was time to show him that fact: Now on a 2 lane each way 50mph road we lined up: we both slowed down, but two blocks of him trying to get me to line up at 35-40mph and me wanting a dig-to-30mph start (and him refusing to roll down his window to talk it over) at 35mph he finally went WOT from 1 car ahead of me.

Expecting it and already holding 1st gear I went full throttle and stopped his pull at 1 1/2 cars: grabbed back distance quickly and hit 2nd near his rear bumper: nearly door to door and in the meat of 2nd gear I hear him hit his rev limiter for a split second. It was all I needed to leap ahead of him.

I held 2nd gear to around 6700rpms before upshifting just so he could hear what a screaming high performance engine should sound like! By 100mph I was a solid 5-6 cars ahead and on the brakes.

Sweet destruction!

He refused to get side by side with me after that, even when we were stopped at a light, with both of us behind 1 other car, he held back 20' from the car ahead so that we didnt line up?!?! Did he think I was gonna laugh at him or something?? Just wanted to find out what mods he had done since I knew he was modded pretty good. Oh well.

His car was debadged, with only the Subaru emblem on it. But i was able to see the outline of where the badges had been placed (new paint on faded paint). After much image browsing on Google, I determined it to be a 2005'ish WRX. He had a small stock exhaust pipe, but the sound and a dustcloud came out from under his car when he was WOT so I assumed that exhuast was unhooked? Also had a bigger, possible Sti, hoodscoop. Didnt see a front mount intercooler, but it was dark so it might have been there. Also had a mismatched front fender: the fender combined with the ratty, faded paint and small exh. sure made that thing a sleeper!

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 08-04-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice kill, had the same thing happen to me. Some young kid in an STI trying to roll race me and he wouldn't line up with me , he just kept going 40mph, now I know why.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upshifting... hitting rev limiter.... A4 GTO....

Am I missing something?

Good kill regardless
Old 08-04-2010, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

I am jealous of all you bastards. The only time I ever raced an Evo or STI I got raped.

Pulled me by probably 5-6 cars by top of third.

******* FP Reds.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Teching In

I'm trying to get a co-worker of mine to run me in his lightly modded WRX, against the TBSS of course.

Great story, well written!

Originally Posted by Funkster
I am jealous of all you bastards. The only time I ever raced an Evo or STI I got raped.

Pulled me by probably 5-6 cars by top of third.

******* FP Reds.
FP Reds are great turbos! I ran one for over a year and had a lot of fun with it.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:53 PM
yfz
Teching In

I used to love wrxs' back in the day when I played Gran Turismo 2 lol.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would think a modded WRX would like to run from a dig. Specially against a GTO. The all wheel drive WRX's launch like a mother.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LS12Fast4U
I would think a modded WRX would like to run from a dig. Specially against a GTO. The all wheel drive WRX's launch like a mother.
With a good driver they are downright nasty from the hole, but they are a PITA to launch properly, and to do it right is hell on the drivetrain.

I used to eat my friends modded STi from a dig all the time with my little ol' LT1...but from a slow ~25mph roll (by his request - I hate roll racing since it wastes all the money I spent on suspension and all that practice at the track ) he would jump on me since I had to ease into the gas to keep from spinning.

Gotta admit, it wasn't a bad car for a ricer . It was a fun little thing.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS12Fast4U
Pretty sure him and his buddy heard my 3600 stall and knew better than to try: he would have to absolutely thrash his drivetrain to have a hope of beating me through an intersection. My car hooks like a bitch on the street and track.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

the stock 5-speeds blow *** and break all the time, not to mention (like its been said) hard to launch at lower power levels... but good dd's tho have one myself. good kill and nice car.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by beatmeofficer
the stock 5-speeds blow *** and break all the time, not to mention (like its been said) hard to launch at lower power levels... but good dd's tho have one myself. good kill and nice car.
the trannys blow ***? what are you talking about?.....haha I know someone whos on their 3rd tranny on a stock power wrx. They're made of glass.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the Cliff Note at the top is priceless.

MOST if not all post should have that included.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well written story man.. good kill.. there are no fast WRX's in my area I've run across sadly .. just a fast EVO pushin 26lbs on stock turbo lol