Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

98 Camaro Z28 vs. 1997 Cobra with N/A 03 Longblock

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default 98 Camaro Z28 vs. 1997 Cobra with N/A 03 Longblock

So we're heading back from a nice dinner with my dad and brother and the brother's wife, and both my dad and brother are thinking the same thing. My dad has a 1998 z28 with SLP lid/K&N Filter, Hooker Aerochamber muffler and 3.42 gears, AUTO. My brother has a 97 Cobra with an 03 N/A Longblock with a ported 01 intake, 8.5:1 compression, longtubes, 4.10s.

I said GO on every race, dad is old school and the 3 honk deal was too much for him to handle, both cars had the window down and I counted down (yelled) as in 3....2....1....GO
The first race:
Wasn't really a "race", I was in my dad's z and my dad hit it while my brother wasn't suspecting (behind us), the Z pulled an immediate car and the Cobra played catch up til about 130 where they were finally side by side, let off due to traffic with the Cobra pulling by. Both cars have a passenger (I am in the z, bro's wife in the snake)

2nd race:
20mph roll due to both cars fighting traction, the z gets the hit and pulls a half a car (manually shifts his auto) and for about 2-3 seconds it stays even with the snake a car behind, then after we get to about 65-70 the cobra starts pulling, pulls harder as the race goes on and finishes about 1.5 cars ahead @ 125

3rd:
From a stop (for the hell of it) my dad hooks and my bro spins a little, but when he grabs he makes up the ground, they stay side by side for 2 seconds and then the cobra pulls 1.5 cars, dad lets off at 100 with the cobra still pulling.

The runs were really fun, I was REALLY surprised by my brother's low compression (8.5:1) motor, my dad's Z has raced Camaros with similar mods and has come out on top every time, so it is a strong runner. Before the race, I would have had my money on the Z, give them both slicks and put them at the track and it'd be fun to watch! Dad drives a 1998 Cayenne Red z/28 Camaro, looks bone stock from the outside minus chrome tailpipes, brother has a white 97 with 03 wheels, 96 Cobra hood, lowered 1.5 inches.
I'd love to see the Cobra with 10.5 compression and the Camaro get stalled. My dad has been wanting a reason to stall/longtube/tune his Camaro and I think he may have just found it. The brother has been DYING to put on a whipple/KB as it has a TKO (5 spd) and 03 motors are built for boost, but his wife is pregnant and priorities shift to a different direction, he will be selling it within 6 months or so I would guarantee it.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not too up on ford engines, is that kinda the same engine as a mach1 engine. because i have heard that an ls1 and a mach1 are a drivers race, even tho some will argue otherwise. so the Z being an auto prolly hurt him a little. thats all i can figure, because that outcome wasnt what i was thinking.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the jester 812
im not too up on ford engines, is that kinda the same engine as a mach1 engine. because i have heard that an ls1 and a mach1 are a drivers race, even tho some will argue otherwise. so the Z being an auto prolly hurt him a little. thats all i can figure, because that outcome wasnt what i was thinking.
Almost Exactly the same as a Mach 1 engine, minus 1.5 compression points! Which is big...it is a little bit lighter than a Mach, and has exhaust and home-made CAI with a big mouth filter.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I would think the z would take it do to the low compression of the cobra. lol Pretty cool racing with your dad, Fun times!
Old 08-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
Wow I would think the z would take it do to the low compression of the cobra. lol Pretty cool racing with your dad, Fun times!
My dad and my brother, doesn't get any better than that. I wanted to bring out my car to play after that but they didn't like that (nothing super fast, just faster than theirs).
Old 08-17-2010, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by snake95
Almost Exactly the same as a Mach 1 engine, minus 1.5 compression points! Which is big...it is a little bit lighter than a Mach, and has exhaust and home-made CAI with a big mouth filter.
the heads on the 03 04 mach1 and cobra are the same. i think the mach1s cams are a little larger. but the bottom end of the cobra is forged and the mach1 isnt. i know the auto and 5 speed mach have two different cranks also.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93sspcoupe
the heads on the 03 04 mach1 and cobra are the same. i think the mach1s cams are a little larger. but the bottom end of the cobra is forged and the mach1 isnt. i know the auto and 5 speed mach have two different cranks also.
I was referring to performance wise, the bottom end being bullet proof doesn't give you any more horsepower on it's own. Piston swap and done, 10:1 compression. When I said the motor is the same, I meant the performance parts (H/C/I and exhaust) the internals may be different.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Suprising results there. I definitely thought the Z would take the low CR motor. Its a shame if your brother sells it, be pretty nasty with a snail on it!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93sspcoupe
Everything on the two motors from the heads (cams included) down are the exact same except for compression ratio and the forged pistons and rods in the Cobra.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:09 PM

Sounds like some fun races! Nothing better than lining up against family, haha. I'm still waiting for the day I line up with my dad in his stock 2004 GTO against my stock 2009 G8 GT
Old 08-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

That should be a good race, my money is on the G8!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mach Boy
Everything on the two motors from the heads (cams included) down are the exact same except for compression ratio and the forged pistons and rods in the Cobra.
i was thinking the mach1 cams was bigger than the term. i know they are bigger than the 01 cobra. been outta the mod motor game for awhile
Old 08-17-2010, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
That should be a good race, my money is on the G8!
Shoulda came to the track tonight! Was a little cool out (75-80) and the rain held off. My window motor got stuck down so I only got to make 2 passes
Old 08-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WSsick
Shoulda came to the track tonight! Was a little cool out (75-80) and the rain held off. My window motor got stuck down so I only got to make 2 passes
I know, I am PISSED. The radar showed nothing but rain around it, I would know as I checked it 50 times. What a bag over the head punch in the face, I could kill somebody. How'd she do? PM me if you want.