Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bolt on LT1 vs. Modded Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt on LT1 vs. Modded Hyundai Genesis

Was on the way back from College Station after a very boring and uneventful 4hr trip each way (there and back in a day) and I finally reached the borders of McKinney to where I was comfortable to start speeding since there was little to no traffic.

I cruised by something sleek looking with bright blue lights that started to catch back up - very quickly.

So I dropped into third before he got to my rear quarter panel and just about held him off to the top of 4th where we both let off.

At this point, I had no clue what the car was so I kept looking for badges or some kind of sign.

He starts to pace me again so I put it in third at about 55-60 and honk it off, I get a bit of a nose out on him and all I can hear is PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSFHTTTHFT PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSFHTTHFT and he's hanging with me pretty good until top of 4th again.

Now we slow down to about 60 and just pace each other and I hear him say "I keep missing 5th!"

At this point, I still have no idea what the car is, so I asked him.
He said "Hyundai Genesis [2?]" something like that.

He asked for one more so I agreed, and we both kind of half honked it off with me in 3rd at about 50-55, almost a dead even start and he started to pull me.
I'm in a pretty dead spot for my car and its taking FOREVER to get moving, but I still hold him off with him maybe a nose in front of me, he shifts twice before I go into 4th and falls back again.

So I exited and he followed and I started to check out the car.

I think it was a Hyundai Genesis 2.0T?
I think he said it was currently at 18psi (don't remember if he said stock turbo or not), had some ungodly huge (1000cc?) injectors that he was having issues with and thought he needed another fuel pump and it was running way rich.
Also said that on the old setup it put down something like 370-380rwhp?
I told him holy ****, because I might be lucky with 300rwhp.

He wasn't getting any boost when he did hit 5th, it just fell on its face.
Said he was just out driving testing the new set up he just finished tonight and saw a Z28 he wanted to try against lol.

He probably would have pulled me in the big end, but I was rather pleased I hung with him (and pretty much beat him like 4/5 times).

He's from around here, its a light blue 2010 model I think, got some dark custom wheels and a Texas vanity plate that starts with T then said K-something, maybe a name?

Nice guy, maybe I'll see him around again for some more runs.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

so basically stock?
Old 08-20-2010, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking at them i still cant belive its a hyundai, they have really stepped up there game. Plus you cant beat the 10yr/100k mile powertrain warranty.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:24 AM
TECH Regular

They aren't bad.
I've heard tuning the 2.0t is a bitch though.
And yes, I know it's virtually the same as the 4B11t.
Apparently there isn't much software out there to work with Hyundai's system.
Or so I've heard...
Old 08-20-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
so basically stock?

LOL!

Need to run more of your "basically stock" cars on Forza

I thought this platform was specifically made for tuners to get their hands into with little mods and have some pretty good potential?

It would be interesting to see the outcome if he dialed in his setup again, I need to get my car tuned bad.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

370?

um, no.
good runs but he was not at 370hp.

these lil turbo cars give u lt1 guys a good run stock for stock. with a tune they can roll with bolt-on lt1's.
kish my neighbor would get his lt1 vette back togetherbefore winter. i tore him up while stock, tuned is gona be ugly for him
any pics of your ride? i miss my black/black lt1
Old 08-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Prolly a stock turbo running about 260whp.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Teching In

If he didn't have an upgraded turbo, there's no way he was making over 300 at the wheels.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
If he didn't have an upgraded turbo, there's no way he was making over 300 at the wheels.
There's also no way that LT1 is making 300whp either. Probably around 270-275.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Maybe he meant 270? lol
Old 08-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
It always cracks me up when every LT1 owner throws out at least a 300rwhp number for what there cars make. LS1 envy or what? What they outta do is throw out the torque numbers instead.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
It always cracks me up when every LT1 owner throws out at least a 300rwhp number for what there cars make. LS1 envy or what? What they outta do is throw out the torque numbers instead.
Have you guys never seen a bolt on LT1 M6 dyno 300rwhp?

Its not that uncommon lol.

I think I would be right at the mark after tune.
If not, I don't care, its just a number, car seems to run good for what it is.

I'm like 90% sure he said 370rwhp lol, thats why I said holy ****.
But I was really tired from no sleep and zoned out from the long drive, so I may have heard wrong.
Like I said, he just did a new tune for the night, so he might have been down on power.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Looking at them i still cant belive its a hyundai, they have really stepped up there game. Plus you cant beat the 10yr/100k mile powertrain warranty.
Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand those warranties aren't as good as they sound. I believe Hyundai has a maintenance schedule that you absolutely have to follow or the warranty becomes void. And that means you have to pay for any work done they say needs to be done. My grandma had a Kia with that kind of deal and paid like 400 bucks to have a tune up done only to have my dad check the plugs after to see the dealer did not replace the plugs. She got rid of the car like 2 weeks later.

And I'm not sold on these things yet. My boss has a genasis sedan and the first month he had it he came out to the car in the morning twice and it was completely dead. Not the kind of problem a brand new car should be having.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Launching!

True dat
Old 08-20-2010, 11:26 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by happysem

^this. Mine made 275hp / 312tq stock with an open cutout. It is easily done in many cases.

Nice run.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hugger1975
370?

um, no.
good runs but he was not at 370hp.

these lil turbo cars give u lt1 guys a good run stock for stock. with a tune they can roll with bolt-on lt1's.
kish my neighbor would get his lt1 vette back togetherbefore winter. i tore him up while stock, tuned is gona be ugly for him
any pics of your ride? i miss my black/black lt1
Too lazy to post up pictures, here's my FQuick lol: http://www.fquick.com/98RCMaro
Old 08-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

I think I would be right at the mark after tune.
If not, I don't care, its just a number, car seems to run good for what it is.

I'm like 90% sure he said 370rwhp lol, thats why I said holy ****.
But I was really tired from no sleep and zoned out from the long drive, so I may have heard wrong.
Like I said, he just did a new tune for the night, so he might have been down on power.
I've seen dozens of LT1's dyno on various dyno's. Along with an equal amount of LS1's. I've seen a bolton LT4 headed, GM hot cam LT1 Fbody that only made 294rwhp. The rest of the bolton LT1s were in the 260-275rwhp zone. Hell, I also saw a loping cam'd LT1 vette with LT headers and a aftermarket aluminum intake only hit over the 300 mark AFTER 3 tuning pulls that were under 300rwhp. All this on two different dyno's. It's akin to saying a bolton LS1 is making 375rwhp: 25rwhp more than there engines made at the crank from the factory.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
They aren't bad.
I've heard tuning the 2.0t is a bitch though.
And yes, I know it's virtually the same as the 4B11t.
Apparently there isn't much software out there to work with Hyundai's system.
Or so I've heard...
Actually one of my best friends has a 2.0t with intake exhaust, and dump, and a tune.

The tunes are real easy to get now and there are a lot of good ones.

And its like a 4b11t minus all the good forged stuff.

As mentioned before unless it had an upgraded turbo NO WAY was it over 270 but more realistically it was probably at about 250 or less.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
And its like a 4b11t minus all the good forged stuff.
This misconception kills me.

Compared to the Evo, it's a different block, weaker bottom end, a different head, a different turbo system...there really isn't much in common.

The evo has a closed deck 4 bolt main block, the Gen is a 2 bolt open deck. It has its own head, which flows less, and it's own turbo and plumbing, which is also more restrictive.

Very different to say the least. It shares more with the Ralliart than the Evo.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

He starts to pace me again so I put it in third at about 55-60 and honk it off, I get a bit of a nose out on him and all I can hear is PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSFHTTTHFT PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSFHTTHFT and he's hanging with me pretty good until top of 4th again.

Now we slow down to about 60 and just pace each other and I hear him say "I keep missing 5th!"

At this point, I still have no idea what the car is, so I asked him.
He said "Hyundai Genesis [2?]" something like that.

He asked for one more so I agreed, and we both kind of half honked it off with me in 3rd at about 50-55, almost a dead even start and he started to pull me.
Maybe you should put it in the right gear next time. Unless you have 4.10's your 2nd gear goes to around 70-75 depending on if you shift at 5500 or 6000 RPM.

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
Wrong

Wrong again

I've seen dozens of LT1's dyno on various dyno's. Along with an equal amount of LS1's. I've seen a bolton LT4 headed, GM hot cam LT1 Fbody that only made 294rwhp. The rest of the bolton LT1s were in the 260-275rwhp zone. Hell, I also saw a loping cam'd LT1 vette with LT headers and a aftermarket aluminum intake only hit over the 300 mark AFTER 3 tuning pulls that were under 300rwhp. All this on two different dyno's. It's akin to saying a bolton LS1 is making 375rwhp: 25rwhp more than there engines made at the crank from the factory.
I make 355rwhp with a cam/exhaust and bone stock heads. Many guy's with PROPER setups make over 400rwhp with stock ported heads/cam. There are too many poorly built bad driven LT1's around, pretty pathetic really.

Quick Reply: Bolt on LT1 vs. Modded Hyundai Genesis