Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

95 Trans Am v. 2003? Mustang Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

My best time in a stock mach 5 speed is 13.5 at 105. I had trouble launching it. With drs and gears easy 12 second car. They are fast and quicker than the 99 and 01 Cobras. Had a friend with one with stock gears,full exhaust,cai and no tune and he ran right with LS1s with similar mods even on highway pulls. Run into one with mods like you in a LS fbody both n/a(bolt on cars) and you could be in for a good fight.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my current car when it was bone stock I ran a best of 12.9 @ 110 (00 m6)_

and in my last Camaro I ran a best of 13.5 @ 107 (98 a4)
Old 12-26-2010, 01:15 PM
***Repost Police***

So I guess when you were saying that an auto LS1 beats a 5spd Mach 1, you were talking about trap speeds?
Old 12-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eduardo
Hey need to give the facts. STOCK vs stock

Auto LS1 vs Auto Mach 1 = LS1 just wooped ***
Auto LS1 vs Manual Mach 1= Good run but LS1 on top again
M6 LS1 vs Manual Mach 1 = LS1 just wooped *** again (given equal drivers)

Lt1 should lose to Mach 1 under all circumstances given equal drivers. I don't care what anyone says. And I don't care to hear about factory freaks I'm talking the norm and what happens on a daily basis.
Let me guess...you are an LS1 fan "only". Well let me speak from both sides since I have owned an 2001 Z28 and currently a 2004 MACH 1. They are very close in performance however the power comes on differently. The LS1 seemed a lot more powerful (more torque) on the low end. I am assuming because of the cubic inch advantage and the push rod design. However, the MACH1 had a stronger pull once the RPMS come up. The small displacement overhead cam motor has to be revved before it begins to make its power. They both just bring on the power differently.
As for an average 1/4 mile time, the M5 MACH 1 is a low to mid 13 sec car. After I ordered my MACH 1, I did not modify it for about 6 months for fear of screwing with the warranty. After 6 months, I put a K&N filter in it. This was my only mod I made for about 1 1/2 years. During this time, I went to Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ on a Friday night and ran the car. The car only had about 3500 miles on it. After multiple bad passes and running 13.8 - 14's, I kept working at it. I knew the car had the potential though because my traps were around 104 to 105. Finally, towards the end of the night, I was able to run a 13.2 and trap a 106. What I finally end up doing was feathering the clutch until the tires grabbed. Once they grabbed, I stuck my foot through the floor and mashed the **** out of every gear. The car was definetly quick right out of the box... learning how to get the most out of it was the difficult part.
Regardless, my Z was a blast to drive and I miss it. (probably still would have had one if GM did not discontinue it) However, the MACH will run right beside it. This is just my take on both cars sice I have experience with both however, others may have different opinions.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MACH32V
Regardless, my Z was a blast to drive and I miss it. (probably still would have had one if GM did not discontinue it)
So are you going to get rid of your Mach since they are no longer made?
Old 12-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Teching In

In my current car when it was bone stock I ran a best of 12.9 @ 110 (00 m6)_

and in my last Camaro I ran a best of 13.5 @ 107 (98 a4)
12.9 and 110 in a stock LS1...I could believe the 12.9 but the trap is a little out of the norm for a stock LS1.

You sure that was "stock". I know people have different ideas of what "Stock" is.
Putting on DRs can net a high 12 but the motor is still stock. However, the better ET will still not increase your trap by that much.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

12.9 and 110 in a stock LS1...I could believe the 12.9 but the trap is a little out of the norm for a stock LS1.

You sure that was "stock". I know people have different ideas of what "Stock" is.
Putting on DRs can net a high 12 but the motor is still stock. However, the better ET will still not increase your trap by that much.
My stck WS6 went 12.82 @ 110 mph. It was stock as stock can get. Never thought Eagle F1s would hok a sub 2.0 sixty but they did.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
So are you going to get rid of your Mach since they are no longer made?
No..man. I went to trade in the Z in at the end of 2003. I wanted to get the SS. The sales guys informed me that they discontinued the Camaro and Firebird. I asked him what else he had for me then. It was either a Monte Carlo SS or a Corvette. I would have gladly taken the Vette however, had a house in NJ paying rediculously high taxes. I would not have been able to afford the Vette (one day though). So I went over to Ford. They had the Cobras for $36K and the MACH for 29K and GT for 25K. The MACH seemed like good power for the money. I honestly never thought I would have owned a Ford but GM did not really have to much to offer anymore in the performance area without paying big dollar.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:36 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, I've seen a member from this forum run a 12.99 @ 110mph in his '02 WS6 with just a lid and SFCs. DA was ~ -1000ft though
Old 12-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
My stck WS6 went 12.82 @ 110 mph. It was stock as stock can get. Never thought Eagle F1s would hok a sub 2.0 sixty but they did.
Wow, man. That is an excellant ET and Trap! I was not able to do that with my Z. I guess each car can come out of the factory differently or you can really drive.
Maybe I did make a mistake when I sold the Z... Oh well. once the modding starts, all that goes out the window anyway..what then begins to matter is how much cash you have for mods.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

yea that run with my SS was bone stock with no modifications. No heads, no K&N lol, no UD pully, no nothing.

Now if we are talking about the 1/4 I still feel the ls1 will pull in the end but indeed it will be close.

I'm not saying any car is better then the other , I just bought my self a Mach 1 and I love it to death. Fun to drive and alot more better looking then my SS lol, well thats what the girls say lol. But back on topic here in California (San Joaquin Valley) I know what these mach 1's are capable of as well as the ls1's.

Now I'll state again leaving drivers out of the equation LS1's are faster then Mach 1's STOCK FOR STOCK.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:45 PM
***Repost Police***

Necro, do you know the DA when you ran your 12.82?
Old 12-26-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not reading 14 pages.. But I think you beat the driver OP...

As for the Mach vs LS arguement.. Drivers race. Both run close times stock for stock, so it would come down to whoever can launch it better and/or shift faster.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
How did you just give facts? You just gave your opinion...which weighs nothing.
It really pains you to hear anyone say anything "negative" about a Mach 1 don't it? I'll just use you for amusement when i'm bored from here on out.

Well take it or leave I don't really care. I never come on here to bs lies. Seems to me the little pony is hurt with his tail between his legs. Need I say more?
LOL....I love it.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Hey need to give the facts. STOCK vs stock

Auto LS1 vs Auto Mach 1 = LS1 just wooped ***
Auto LS1 vs Manual Mach 1= Good run but LS1 on top again
M6 LS1 vs Manual Mach 1 = LS1 just wooped *** again (given equal drivers)
How can a LS1 whoop a car that is a driver's race between the two? Whooping means really beating a car. The Mach 1 and LS1 are a driver's race. Neither car in their stock form is going to whoop either one unless one of them has a horrible driver.
I don't care what anyone says.
Yes you do, or you'd not have made this post.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
As for the Mach vs LS arguement.. Drivers race. Both run close times stock for stock, so it would come down to whoever can launch it better and/or shift faster.
What this guy said.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Until about the 1/8 mile LT and mach is a close race depending on driver. I have pulled on a couple of simple bolt on machs before at the 1/8 mile track. Just my .02 cents.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Launching!

yea that run with my SS was bone stock with no modifications. No heads, no K&N lol, no UD pully, no nothing.

Now if we are talking about the 1/4 I still feel the ls1 will pull in the end but indeed it will be close.

I'm not saying any car is better then the other , I just bought my self a Mach 1 and I love it to death. Fun to drive and alot more better looking then my SS lol, well thats what the girls say lol. But back on topic here in California (San Joaquin Valley) I know what these mach 1's are capable of as well as the ls1's.

Now I'll state again leaving drivers out of the equation LS1's are faster then Mach 1's STOCK FOR STOCK.
Do you run at Sac Raceway? That might explain those stellar times.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lethal bird
Until about the 1/8 mile LT and mach is a close race depending on driver. I have pulled on a couple of simple bolt on machs before at the 1/8 mile track. Just my .02 cents.
I believe it. I've seen LS1 based fbodies run 14s in the 1/4 before. It all depends on the driver.

Considering a LT1 and a 2v GT run similar times, a 4v Mach1 isn't going to be in it's league when it comes to similar drivers running them however.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

No..man. I went to trade in the Z in at the end of 2003. I wanted to get the SS. The sales guys informed me that they discontinued the Camaro and Firebird. I asked him what else he had for me then. It was either a Monte Carlo SS or a Corvette. I would have gladly taken the Vette however, had a house in NJ paying rediculously high taxes. I would not have been able to afford the Vette (one day though). So I went over to Ford. They had the Cobras for $36K and the MACH for 29K and GT for 25K. The MACH seemed like good power for the money. I honestly never thought I would have owned a Ford but GM did not really have to much to offer anymore in the performance area without paying big dollar.
I understand that, I suggest never selling the Mach. I plan on never selling my GTO.

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Necro, do you know the DA when you ran your 12.82?
No I dont know really what is was but the temp. was in the 50s and was not too humid.

Quick Reply: 95 Trans Am v. 2003? Mustang Mach 1