Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

**Official Winter Beater Kills Thread**

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1994 saturn sl2 (me) vs 2000 malibu.......

Race was from ~60-100

It was me and a buddy both in our winter beaters. He three honked it off and I jumped about a half car on him and held it to 100, then we both let off.

To be fair he had a passenger alittle over 200lbs. If he didn't have a passenger I think the outcome would of been the other way around.

The reason we did a 60 roll instead of a dig is because I dont have 1st or 2nd gear
Old 02-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by willizm
Why because they sound about as good as a vq37hr?
Hey now, don't go giving them false hopes. Maybe that's just another part of why I don't understand why they think rusted out hoods on their cars look good too?
Old 02-16-2011, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr370z
Hey now, don't go giving them false hopes. Maybe that's just another part of why I don't understand why they think rusted out hoods on their cars look good too?
I guess stock the VQs sound decent, but anything more than that just gets worse and worse.

Ok, this one sounds alright with just a catback, but LOL @ 18rwhp gains from a catback only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNS-dJ4lvcY

This sounds like ****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCKK1...eature=related

(Also, I hate them being called "test pipes")
Old 02-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WSsick
I guess stock the VQs sound decent, but anything more than that just gets worse and worse.
I was going to edit my post but I'll just say it here.

On a serious note, the VR6's sound decent. Yes, it sounds nowhere near as good as a lopey v8, however.

I think the VQ37 can sound pretty good. Here's a couple clips. Videos just don't do it justice. I have the catback in the 2nd video, yet to get the HFC though. Haven't decided yet.. but the catback alone sounds pretty good. (my opinions)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy-Oa...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USvRFdYjKV8
Old 02-16-2011, 06:07 PM
***Repost Police***

Ok, this one sounds alright with just a catback, but LOL @ 18rwhp gains from a catback only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNS-dJ4lvcY

This sounds like ****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCKK1...eature=related

(Also, I hate them being called "test pipes")
I actually think that second one sounds good...
Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 PM
9 Second Club

I was going to edit my post but I'll just say it here.

On a serious note, the VR6's sound decent. Yes, it sounds nowhere near as good as a lopey v8, however.

I think the VQ37 can sound pretty good. Here's a couple clips. Videos just don't do it justice. I have the catback in the 2nd video, yet to get the HFC though. Haven't decided yet.. but the catback alone sounds pretty good. (my opinions)
If you get the HFC's it will bring a bit more rasp to your exhaust. Those vq's can be a pain to get any decent gains out of them. also had the stillen CAI that helped get a couple ponies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfGnlurongM
Old 02-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Teching In

If you get the HFC's it will bring a bit more rasp to your exhaust. Those vq's can be a pain to get any decent gains out of them. also had the stillen CAI that helped get a couple ponies.
Great video! Yeah I know the HFC's can make it a bit raspy but since I already got the exhaust the company used to make why not go for the whole deal and get the HFC too? Plus, that's where the gains are. Thinking about the Stillen CAI as well but not too keen on the cutting required to fit...

But if I'm possibly trading it in soon I'm just going to leave it as it sits.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 PM
9 Second Club

Great video! Yeah I know the HFC's can make it a bit raspy but since I already got the exhaust the company used to make why not go for the whole deal and get the HFC too? Plus, that's where the gains are. Thinking about the Stillen CAI as well but not too keen on the cutting required to fit...

Do tell? BTW, You are better off not modding it any further if you are contemplating trading it in for something else.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I actually think that second one sounds good...
Seriously? That's a lot of rasp...

For?

Agree on cat back alone sounds good too in case you didn't catch my edit with vids.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Do tell? BTW, You are better off not modding it any further if you are contemplating trading it in for something else.
For?

Agree on cat back alone sounds good too in case you didn't catch my edit with vids.
Hint: it's most likely American

Yes, and apparently the stock hfc's are nothing but a hassle to remove and replace. Plus, Nissan are pretty strict warranty wise and there's no reason to lose it over something silly.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:03 AM
TECH Junkie

The best-sounding VQ posted is that grey 370z with the Berk Catback with HFCs ^.

Sounded much better than the blue one
Old 02-23-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey guys. Figured I'd post this in here since it's a bit of a BS thread as well. Some of you have seen my bro's old 2007 Roush supercharged mustang GT in a few vids on here. Well after much debating, he traded the car in for a nice DD 2010 ford focus 5 speed and in the process got rid of all of his negative equity on the stang loan. After that was said and done he couldn't be without a toy, so he picked this little beaut up as well. After all, brother's have to stick together on make/model!

It's a 1991 firebird with a very healthy 350 in it and a viper spec T56, not to mention subframes and just about every suspension piece available. If you look in the idle vid you can see the front wilwoods as well. Should make for some sweet vids over the summer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMgIQYnn7mo

Don't mind me getting all giddy like a school girl in the drive along. This is the first third gen I have ridden in since mine got taken off the road about 4 years ago!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Ujy2Wxx_k
Old 02-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Is that EvilSteve's third gen?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 AM
12 Second Club

Needs moar LSX.

Your car has been down for 4 years?! Get that bitch back on the road already!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
Is that EvilSteve's third gen?
Maybe...

Needs moar LSX.

Your car has been down for 4 years?! Get that bitch back on the road already!
Don't worry.....dished out $990 on my tex clutch set up and when that gets here, motor and trans are going in. From then on it's just getting the wiring and interior finished. This spring young grasshopper....she will live.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
Maybe...

Don't worry.....dished out $990 on my tex clutch set up and when that gets here, motor and trans are going in. From then on it's just getting the wiring and interior finished. This spring young grasshopper....she will live.
It definitely is... I've been wanting to run that car since I got my GTO. Steve was very mean to me years ago and basically pointed his nose up at me when I asked him to run it. He said something like GTO's are high 13 second cars on a good day and his was 11's even though his PB was a low 12. Him and a bunch of other guys basically laughed at me for thinking I could run with it until I left the parking lot. What sucks is that I know I coulda at least put up a good fight, they were acting like I was the biggest moron ever for thinking I'd hang.

Will I finally get my shot at it this spring? lol
Sucks that if I do it wouldn't be to shut him up... Oh well, can't claim revenge on everyone.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Signs point to yes. I don't discriminate. I'm curious myself because i know how your car moves...
Old 02-25-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

It definitely is... I've been wanting to run that car since I got my GTO. Steve was very mean to me years ago and basically pointed his nose up at me when I asked him to run it. He said something like GTO's are high 13 second cars on a good day and his was 11's even though his PB was a low 12. Him and a bunch of other guys basically laughed at me for thinking I could run with it until I left the parking lot. What sucks is that I know I coulda at least put up a good fight, they were acting like I was the biggest moron ever for thinking I'd hang.

Sucks that if I do it wouldn't be to shut him up... Oh well, can't claim revenge on everyone.

Thanks for making my night with that story. I laughed my *** off, lol!! And I've known Steve for a long time....He knows his **** when it comes to cars so I'm kind of surprised he said what he did about the GTO. Maybe he was thinking 5.7? IDK....He really didn't race much on the street. He was def more of a track guy. The car traps 11 sec mph but needs more rear gear to actually get the numbers from what he said, and it sounds right from what I know. It's by far one of the strongest N/A old school 350's I've ever been in, especially since it's just a 9.0:1 motor.

As my bro said though, we'll be out to run the thing against whoever wants to run since there is an extreme lack of bad *** third gen vids on the net. Hopefully my bro can get the 4.10's in by then since the car has some long gears at the moment lol.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Launching!

My winter/work car is an '06 scion xb, and I get more runs in it than my 402. But I can't blame people for wanting to race such a beastly 5 speed.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2000 Cavalier vs 2005(?) Mustang V6 with the almighty "Pony Package" that gives it 290hp! He called out a bolt-on 04 GT that beat Brock(post form awhile ago) he just laughed so they never raced then the V6 Mustang called out my other friends 96 Dakota with a 318 5 speed cat-back and intake. We both busted out laughing. Needless to say the kid was pretty pissed. So my friend with the Cavalier(exhaust and intake) was up for a race, the kid with the Mustang can't drive to save his life obviously because they were dead even. I don't know what speed or anything. I just got sent a video and heard three honks and then two slow *** cars side by side till they hit the brakes. More details and maybe a video later. I can't figure out how to get videos off my phone. It says their a PSF file and I don't know how to change it. I'll have a ton more stories up later, the Cavalier gets a lot of attention. It's the biggest ricer ever. With an asian driver...Yes this is serious lol.

Quick Reply: **Official Winter Beater Kills Thread**