Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

stock 510 HP Viper vs stock 436 HP Vette

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever, no skin off my nose. I just saw complaining. I'm dropping it now.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
The guy that owns a tuning shop who was pushing his tunes that day? Not a chance that car was "factory stock". Also the next best time by anyone is a solid .3 and 3mph slower by an LS3.
Does seem a lot faster, it would be hard to really document a factory stock car due to bias. Sometimes I even have trouble believing Ranger's 1/4 records.

Killemall, how did you pay $50k for a base C5 in 2004? We have an 04 C5 Z06 sitting in the garage that we purchased late 2004 for $43k (w/$10k rebate). Funny thing is that back in 2004 I had fun in the C5 Z06 stomping on these so-called exotics: Vipers, NSX's, turbo Porche's, etc.

I agree with your comments about Vettes not being flashy as other exotics but you have to remember that you are paying a lot less for a car that will outperform most exotics on the highway and track. I do disagree with your comment about the ZR1 being looked upon as just another Vette, the ZR1 looks like and performs like King of the Hill. The ZR1 sets the standard for the overpriced Ferrari, Porsche, Viper, and Lambo's!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
It's a lot closer than you think my friend.

Bone-stock C5 Z06 vs Bone-stock C6 6-speed Manual

C5Z06 had a passenger, normally a C5Z06 will pull a C6 by 1.5-2 cars.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
I do disagree with your comment about the ZR1 being looked upon as just another Vette, the ZR1 looks like and performs like King of the Hill. The ZR1 sets the standard for the overpriced Ferrari, Porsche, Viper, and Lambo's!!!
As far as looks and the way the average Joe looks at the car, yes a ZR1 looks just like any other Corvette with the exception of the hood. And if you see it on the street you can't see that hood difference.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crashemall buys cars to impress other.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

vipers suck!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Killemall
Like i said. i was well aware of what stock c5's could do and had big hopes of the LS2's being right there with the C5Z06..What we got however after a 7 year wait was a car that barely ran 12's...I started a C6 LS2 list..but after the first 30 entries all being 13.0-13.2 at 106-110 mph I just couldnt take the disapointment and gave up..Hell..even 111 mph trapps seemed great for th 2005's!
The same thing could be said for the Gen 3 Viper! You even said in multiple post our cars average bottom 12's in the 1/4 bone stock. If my memory serves correct the Gen 2 Viper did that back in 1996 averaging 12.2-12.4 in the quarter with a good driver. My old GTS personally went 12.3x@117 stock to the tires. So that makes the Gen 3 Viper a disappointment as well doesn't it?!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
C5Z06 had a passenger, normally a C5Z06 will pull a C6 by 1.5-2 cars.
Also the C5 Z weights about 100# less Fwiw. Like Redfire said the Ls6 has the slight edge but is not going to pull hard on a Ls2 stock for stock.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Killemall
Like i said. i was well aware of what stock c5's could do and had big hopes of the LS2's being right there with the C5Z06..What we got however after a 7 year wait was a car that barely ran 12's...I started a C6 LS2 list..but after the first 30 entries all being 13.0-13.2 at 106-110 mph I just couldnt take the disapointment and gave up..Hell..even 111 mph trapps seemed great for th 2005's!
Regardless of what you may have experienced, what you got after 7 years was a car that was faster in a straight line, ran better at the ring by 19 seconds compared to the previous generation's base model and only 3 seconds slower than the previous generations top model. It also had a better interior, better aero (lights up), a larger engine with 50 more horsepower but the same (slightly better?) gas mileage, a better auto transmission ('06) and just a much more refined package. The LS3 C6 improved on that even more but I laugh when people scoff at the LS2 C6.

Hey to each his own and whatever makes you happy is all that matters. But I think you're way too concerned with what others think about you. The waves and pics bring a smile to my face too but if they all disappeared I'd still be happy driving the car I wanted without needing validation from anyone else. JMO
Old 12-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
http://www.dancewithshadows.com/moto...per-confirmed/

http://www.allpar.com/cars/viper/2012-dodge-viper.html

But I'll look at the magazines again. I believe it was car and driver that said possiblitlity and they brought up awd and traction control since it is required. Those 2010 and under don't have traction control. It's a die hard sport car if you know what I mean. I can't wait to see what they do.
Oh there's no doubt the Viper has always been a hardcore car, I don't think they even had ABS until 2001 or 2002, something around there. Obviously once they added it, the braking was significantly improved. Still, though, I really hope that IF they add traction control that you can FULLY remove it along with stability control with a push of a button.

I read both sources by the way and I'm extremely happy that there will be no FIAT influence on the new Viper. I'm also excited to hear they're going to continue the v10 production but possibly offer the 6.4L? That's actually good news for the people who want a Viper at a lower price but bad news for the guys who want the exclusivity. Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

Well I'm glad that's out of the way, I was getting worried they'd come out with this awful Fiat interpretation of a sports car and just slap the Viper name on it.

And now I know Killemall buys cars to impress others makes me laugh.

But I suppose he makes a valid point in trying to point out that a Corvette is still a Corvette despite it's performance. I bet if randomly selected 100 people out a crowd, the majority wouldn't be able to discern a base c6 from a z06, from a zr1 if they were all side by side. I don't mean being able to tell they look different but specifically identifying WHICH model is which, would be a good indication that the identity is still that of a Corvette, not a much more sought after exotic like a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Personally I don't care if I'm driving a F360 or a base C6, that doesn't matter to me as long as I enjoy the car and the performance is all there. But I guess insecure people like Killemall needs the satisfaction of having a rare "neck breaker" car??...
Old 12-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Hell yeah you can tell the difference between a base , z06, and Zr1. the Z06 and Zr1 scream "im going to eat you".
Old 12-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Hell yeah you can tell the difference between a base , z06, and Zr1. the Z06 and Zr1 scream "im going to eat you".
Oh I definitely can, the z06 and zr1 look scary. To the average person, however, my point was that all they'd see are three corvettes. Not a corvette, a monster z06, and an insane zr1.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Teching In

I made a documentary in my film class about a car/racing enthusiast and 80% of the people who saw it didn't even know what horsepower meant. So the average person does NOT know the difference between Vette trim levels. I'd be willing to bet that most people wouldn't even be able to tell you which Vette was a C5 and which was a C6.

Last edited by Ju1ce; 12-21-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I buy a car for performance and affordability (maintenance and such). True car enthusiasts don't buy cars just so others will be impressed (What I gathered from a lot of what Killemall said).

Anyways, you bought what you bought and you are happy with it, so enjoy it!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
My points were ignored...
Anyway thanks for coming right out and admitting you bought the Viper as a ***** extension. I can now lol @ u in every thread.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow, so Wreckemall really needs others to ooh and aah over his car to make it through the day? That sucks. Ju1ce is right about people not knowing **** about car trim levels, hell in my 87 coupe, half of the people didn't believe me when I told them it was a Mustang.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

wow, i dont live my life thinking about getting attention from people i dont know. i certainly dont make purchasing decisions that way either.

i get what i want for me. nothing else enters into it. if i liked VW bettles like i started out on, and cruised with vipers, id care less if anyone looked at my car.

killemall, you have an inferiority complex. its not an attack, but man its ok if nobody likes your stuff. you car is cool and fast. its right up there with any other car. park it beside a gallardo and it fits. who cares if anyone ever likes your stuff. you want respect, well man ill give it to you. not for your car or ITS accomplishments, but because people need respect from others.

just saying for real man. life is short and fleeting. i know i get into it in these forums, but its simply to harrass(troll) others. its just fun man. not real life.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BLWNV10
The same thing could be said for the Gen 3 Viper! You even said in multiple post our cars average bottom 12's in the 1/4 bone stock. If my memory serves correct the Gen 2 Viper did that back in 1996 averaging 12.2-12.4 in the quarter with a good driver. My old GTS personally went 12.3x@117 stock to the tires. So that makes the Gen 3 Viper a disappointment as well doesn't it?!
No...Not at all..I had a 1999 and 2003 and drag tested em both..99 viper with 20 passes went a best of 12.3 at 119 mph with intake and roller rockers...2003 with intake and roller rockers went a best of 11.9 at 122 mph...both 2.0 60 foots

The differance is that they took a car that was faster than just about everything and mad it even a lil faster...In 2002 when the gen2 Viper ceased thre was nothing really touching it. Every body ws oohing and aahing over the C5Z06 that was nearly 1/2 a second slower...Thats just how fast it was in 2002...So the 2003 srt10 being a few tenths and few mph faster was just iceing on the cake.

The C6 on the other hand..Well lets be honest at that point a common 35K 03 cobra was faster than th 50K vette at that point...The LS2 vette maybe was a 1-2mph faster than the Cobra..

they needed to make the vette a LOT faster....Viper really was allready fast or pretty much the fastest! So just a lil was needed..

Now in 2005 whenthe FGT came out it was a differant game and when the Z06 came out in 2006 got dayum cars were trapping mid 120's plus with ease now and low 120's was cutting it. A big increase was needed and that why the 600 HP bomb was dropped...

Butg honestly in 2003 and 2004 what cars do you remember being faster than a srt10? It even beat the FGt in the head to head comparison were they both went 11.7 but the srt's was a slightly lower 11.7
Old 12-21-2010, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

So a $45,000 Vette was a little bit faster than a $36,000 Mustang but a $75,000 Viper was quite a bit faster than a $45,000 Vette? Am I stupid or am I missing something?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Launching!

so the sh#t talking comes now hugh......I THOUGHT THE VETTE WAS AMAZEING JUST LIKE YOU GUYS..I WAS A HUGE VETTE FAN. I DRAGG RACED 2-3 TIME PER WEEK ALL YEAR LONG AND DID ANY ROAD RACEING I COULD..MOST MEMORABLE WAS 10 LAPPS AGAINST A FERRARI CHALLANGE STARDALE 360.....BUT REALITY SHOWED ME THE TRUTH...NSX WAS A CAR THAT 75% OF US MADE FUN OF AND CALLED SLOW OVER PRICED ECT......BUT IN REAL LIFE MY VETTE DID A MAGICIANS TRICK AND DISAPEARED WHEN SITTING NEXT TO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was embarrassing....To see RSKY bask in all the automative gory as people seemed so mesmerized over his 13 second car and my 12 second car had a dog come **** on the tire...

Say Im insecure ect. But that day I learned that a rare car or 70K plus sports car just carries a lot more weight inthe general public that they do on these boards....I never cared that much as well till RSKY's nsx gace me the beat down parked next to me in those parking lots....

It should be mentioned that RSKY and I had a lil 1 up thing going back then...

I bought a new vette
He bought a new m3 (like a week later too)

-they were both about the same and we had fun..I beat him in straight line speed while he beat me at the road course

So I had my vette still
He gets the nsx

Thats when the parking lot beat down comenced

so if I really do have a sickness..then RSKY is to blame as he never let me forget how my vette only got the nice vette bone and his nsx got all the attention...LOL

Quick Reply: stock 510 HP Viper vs stock 436 HP Vette