Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran up against another '11 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The original 4.6l GTs (96-98) were indeed dogs. Not that I am saying the 99-04 are fast, they aren't. But they are faster than anything Ford had made in 20 some years at the time as far as the GT badge goes.

I bought mine about a year ago for 10k. It's a 2002, and had 9k miles on it when I got it. It now has 20k on it. It's just a peppy DD I use. Not even modified. (Well cept MGW STS)

I do tend to eventually add a decent exhaust and maybe some gears just for the fun factor.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:06 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
93-95mph traps maybe,mid- high 14's??
Bingo. My '98 GT was a low-option (just Mach 460 stereo) 5spd, and I had one of the first GTs with 3.27s (early-'98 cars and earlier had 3.08s). If I'd had the chance to run it at a 1/4 mile track, I would guess a ~14.6 @ 94-95mph.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Launching!

The only 2v's that i have any experience with is my friends 2002 gt 5sd. He has bassani exhaust and a throttle body and i the 8th he ran a 9.33@78. I don't know what that equates to in the 1/4,but that's one of the ones i've been around. Does that sound about right?
Old 12-30-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
93-95mph traps maybe,mid- high 14's??
Yeah I checked it out, thanks.
Originally Posted by Ke^in
The original 4.6l GTs (96-98) were indeed dogs. Not that I am saying the 99-04 are fast, they aren't. But they are faster than anything Ford had made in 20 some years at the time as far as the GT badge goes.

I bought mine about a year ago for 10k. It's a 2002, and had 9k miles on it when I got it. It now has 20k on it. It's just a peppy DD I use. Not even modified. (Well cept MGW STS)

I do tend to eventually add a decent exhaust and maybe some gears just for the fun factor.
YeaH it's hard to resist at least exhaust

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Bingo. My '98 GT was a low-option (just Mach 460 stereo) 5spd, and I had one of the first GTs with 3.27s (early-'98 cars and earlier had 3.08s). If I'd had the chance to run it at a 1/4 mile track, I would guess a ~14.6 @ 94-95mph.
Oh ok. I didn't realize there was that much difference between years. I know the ratings favored the edge. How would my buddies 5.0 (94/95?) have stacked up against an edge I wonder? Because he couldn't hang with my old purple plum car lol. He was actually a better shifter than me but I'd still come around him. My Lt1 felt so fast back then Now my hawk feels slow too
Old 12-30-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

By an "edge" are you referring to the 99-04 "New Edge" body style?
Old 12-30-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

# the boundary of a surface
# boundary: a line determining the limits of an area
# advance slowly, as if by inches; "He edged towards the car"
# a sharp side formed by the intersection of two surfaces of an object; "he rounded the edges of the box"
# border: provide with a border or edge; "edge the tablecloth with embroidery"
# the attribute of urgency in tone of voice; "his voice had an edge to it"
# border: lie adjacent to another or share a boundary; "Canada adjoins the U.S."; "England marches with Scotland"
# a slight competitive advantage; "he had an edge on the competition"
# the outside limit of an object or area or surface; a place farthest away from the center of something; "the edge of the leaf is wavy"; "she sat on the edge of the bed"; "the water's edge"
Old 12-30-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes. Is that the correct term?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy way to remember it.....96-98, non PI 2Vs. 99-04, new edge or PI 2Vs. PI differences were cams, heads, intake I believe.....elevens, is that correct?
Old 12-30-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Beans
Nothing's odd about screenshots, i use them also, but i can't say i've used one to hold someone to a post. That makes it seem like you were taking shots of his posts in case he edited them, which would mean you're taking the debate pretty seriously. Or did you take the shot after you noticed it disappear?
He may have done it because he's aware of the post deleting already. While I find it funny and a waste of time in general, it sure can give the advantage in a debate, childish or otherwise.

I'm curious of a few things, so I'll just throw them out here. Wait, 1st, AznMuscle.... I think you got that exactly right on the differences between 98(96,97) and 99(04 I 'spose) in so far as the engine... There were other changes as well, like a shifter change in 2001, and whatever... scads of little things most of us never hear about.

Okay then... to the OP... Congratulations! Now then, since you lost the 1st 2 by your own admission, please stop celebrating with all of us congratulating you. Point being, we're all acting as if you kicked a new 5.0 to the curb... Essentially, as in MOST cases, he handed you your ***, except from a roll. Let's just live with the reality here folks, the new SS and GT are quicker than the 4th gen in general and not by just a tick or two, but by 1/2 second or more as the rule. DUE TO that, you get congrats, even for only having won from a roll, where the LS1, even unmodified, is still a powerhouse. PS head to the dragstrip and tell us all how it runs. We'd like to know, but NOT to compare it to a 5.0... just to know if it's a 12 second car or not.

Next, what's with all these nasty comments about the 5.0 not being all it's cracked up to be???? Are you people sleeping or just living in denial. It's a FIVE LITER, not a 6 or larger... They've taken the Mustang with this little engine... Into the EIGHTS ALREADY on the 1/4 mile. Which LS1 or 2, 3, 6.... which did that in 6mo or less? And every one of them is clearly larger... Not all it's cracked up to be? Then why is it SMASHING RECORDS not yet seen by LS1 or 3 cars before its 6 month b-day??? The LS1 has been around for over a decade, by contrast. Bottom line here, STOP LIVING IN DENIAL! This isn't "In the year 2000" anymore...

I guess I'll wrap this up... The LT1 is SLOW in stock form, just like the 2V 4.6L... Not junk, just VERY short on power when compared to several other engines, specifically in the year 2010, when the average upper end V6 touts over 300hp and the average seems to be around 265. Get over it. The 260hp 4.6L would power a stock GT into the 13's with any decent driver and a 5spd. The LT1 could to the same, for the lucky ones. In general, the LT1 was NOT a 13 second runner in an F-body. Pre 99 4.6's were basically sleds even with mods, unless they wore 32 valves. Deal with it. Like the typical LT1, those were 14 second cars and I'd say the LT1 had a definite advantage till 99, when the lights went out. Thank goodness the LS1 was well established by then(not that it mattered overall). I've raced in them all, at the track... The only one of the bunch that truly impressed me(stock) is the LS1, only because the way a 32V needs to be driven is mind-racking to anyone used to OHV engines. The others were just also rans in the sceme of things. Sorry, that's just how I see it. Good day all...
Old 12-30-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey it'llrun! Yes your right it's just a little 5.0 but with much more technology in it. 4v 4 cam and bunch of other things to go wth it. So don't you think it's amazing that an engine that came out in 97 can still hold it's own against this new ford "High tech" engine?? And I'm about 50 or so rwhp from this stang
Old 12-30-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mannyman84
So don't you think it's amazing that an engine that came out in 97 can still hold it's own against this new ford "High tech" engine??
Depends on what you mean by "holding it's own"
And I'm about 50 or so rwhp from this stang
A stock 2v is about 50 or so rwhp away from a stock LS1. Just to put things into perspective.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Hey it'llrun! Yes your right it's just a little 5.0 but with much more technology in it. 4v 4 cam and bunch of other things to go wth it. So don't you think it's amazing that an engine that came out in 97 can still hold it's own against this new ford "High tech" engine?? And I'm about 50 or so rwhp from this stang

It also holds its own against the current even larger LS engines as well....

and 4 cam 4 valve technology is old tech btw....
Old 12-30-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not arguing any of that. I agree. That said, the Mustang is also about 100 lb(maybe more) heavier and more importantly, it has too many scenarios... Some tools don't run premium fuel, for example. Then there's the real difference maker to me... The transmission. I like what they've done, honestly... However, I think this thing would do even better with a standard Temec 6060(or whatever) 6spd. The ratios in the current version(save Shelby), I think take away from the performance in drag racing. I don't like the final ratio in the new SS, but to me, thanks to the trans Ford uses in the GT, that car would be better suited with either taller(3.07) or shorter(4.10) rear gears... Either be altogether in need of 5th on the strip, or not needing it atoll.

The tech is great, and it's working for them... Ti-VCT is a BIG deal and it will surely become the norm at some point for most cars, but who knows when. This is much of what helps the little engine run with bigger engines, even newer ones well into the 6L arena. What this would do for a 5.7 and up liter engine... who knows, but it would be a good thing as far as I can tell. That's the technology part, as 4V OHC engines have been around for decades now and 2V models have been around much, much longer. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think OHC engines have been around perhaps longer(by decades) than OHV.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Depends on what you mean by "holding it's own"

A stock 2v is about 50 or so rwhp away from a stock LS1. Just to put things into perspective.

Which is why they get slaughtered by anyone who isn't a complete retard driver.

The Machs are the impressive ones, running close to and beating ls1 cars with less power.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

You own a stock 2-valve? What did your car run in the 1/4? Pics?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Spat my drink out on that part. Mid 14's at 95 in a stock non-PI GT? No way.

Last edited by LT/LS Guy; 12-30-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:37 PM
***Repost Police***

It had 3.27s (which other 94-98 cars did not come with), and low options. I also knew when to shift it. And like I said, it had a K&N, X-pipe, and turndowns, and I also took the ~15lb dogbone dampener off the rear diff. So it was maybe 50-60lbs lighter than factory stock. I ran it at the local 1/8 mile track the first summer I bought it, and it ran consistent 9.3-9.4 @ 75mph. Which in-itself is good for a 14s timeslip. But that night was also when I discovered the coolant leak from the intake manifold thermostat housing, which was running into one of my spark plug holes and causing an intermittent misfire. So with a bit more practice and a healthy, car... 14.5-14.6 @ 95mph, like I said. Other bone stock cars have run 14.7-14.8.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

It had 3.27s (which other 94-98 cars did not come with), and low options. I also knew when to shift it. And like I said, it had a K&N, X-pipe, and turndowns, and I also took the ~15lb dogbone dampener off the rear diff. So it was maybe 50-60lbs lighter than factory stock. I ran it at the local 1/8 mile track the first summer I bought it, and it ran consistent 9.3-9.4 @ 75mph. Which in-itself is good for a 14s timeslip. But that night was also when I discovered the coolant leak from the intake manifold thermostat housing, which was running into one of my spark plug holes and causing an intermittent misfire. So with a bit more practice and a healthy, car... 14.5-14.6 @ 95mph, like I said. Other bone stock cars have run 14.7-14.8.
Irunelevens, I normally enjoy your posts, but you are starting to sound like Killemall. There is a difference between a guess, measuring it on your "g-meter", and actually running the time. Just a warning Don't fall to that level
Old 12-30-2010, 09:09 PM
***Repost Police***

It's based off what I actually ran at the track. The times that I ACTUALLY ran at the 1/8 mile track (9.3-9.5) equate to around 14.5-14.6. Which is why I said that I guessed I could have run a 14.5-14.6 if I had gotten the chance to run at the 1/4 mile track; not exactly a stretch. But that coolant leak turned into blown headgaskets, and then when I was fixing the car I installed PI cams and intake manifold. So it was no longer a near-stock car.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's based off what I actually ran at the track. The times that I ACTUALLY ran at the 1/8 mile track (9.3-9.5) equate to around 14.5-14.6. Which is why I said that I guessed I could have run a 14.5-14.6 if I had gotten the chance to run at the 1/4 mile track; not exactly a stretch. But that coolant leak turned into blown headgaskets, and then when I was fixing the car I installed PI cams and intake manifold. So it was no longer a near-stock car.
Gotcha. I personally think you just need to buy another toy and leave the Mustang and S2K in the past

Quick Reply: Ran up against another '11 5.0