Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran up against another '11 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
took em long enough, but m guessing the bean counters didnt really see a need to upgrade much when they were already sitting on the gold mine. I bet if GM upped the overall quality and design of the camaro then the sales (and thus competition) would have been closer to eachother.
Oh, well that puts it to bed then I guess .

Originally Posted by Ke^in
I wasn't JUST talking about the Cobra R.
I know you weren't, didn't say you were.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Oh, we're going to bring in the Cobra R into this now too lol. The pre eaton cobras weren't quite there imo. A mach would edge them out, do you not agree? Not only that, the GT was supposed to be competion for fbodys, the cobra was back and forth with its purpose, but mostly to compensate for slow as GTs that sold well, to the mainstream population (how exciting) imo.
The Cobra (after the recall/fix) was pretty much on par with a typical automatic LS1 (102-104traps) but were definately slower than the LS1 manual cars. The Cobra R, though faster than any F-Body was too rare for discussion IMO. I think i saw one at a stealership in a "rich town" before. Never ever on the steet though
Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Exactly! The autos wern't THAT much off than the m6 cars man, seriously. Couple tenths quicker was the norm wasn't it? Poor traps though for sure.
from what ive seen the average auto traps about 2-3mph slower and .2-.3tenths slower as well. on average. The Cobra (pre Terminator) was right around that area.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

from what ive seen the average auto traps about 2-3mph slower and .2-.3tenths slower as well. on average. The Cobra (pre Terminator) was right around that area.
You are not comparing auto to auto then are you?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Launching!

You are not comparing auto to auto then are you?
they didnt make an auto Cobra. Im not even trying to talk down on the auto LS1, im just trying to give a lil perspective as to where i think the Cobra sits in the (stock) speed hierarchy is all. The Mach1 IMO sits just above the slobra
Old 01-05-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

My point was, when people are saying "Finally Ford stepped up to the plate" they are ignoring all cars they made BUT the GT. Ford has been stepping up to the plate for a long long time. There was a time between 96 and 98 that I wouldn't brag about however. But before then, and after then they have been competitive.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

My point was, when people are saying "Finally Ford stepped up to the plate" they are ignoring all cars they made BUT the GT. Ford has been stepping up to the plate for a long long time. There was a time between 96 and 98 that I wouldn't brag about however. But before then, and after then they have been competitive.
I dont think for had anything to compete with a lt1 until 2003. Then from 86-92 a 5.0 vs a 5.7 was pretty much dead even. But from then on its been pretty ugly for ford until GM killed the fbody.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

they didnt make an auto Cobra. Im not even trying to talk down on the auto LS1, im just trying to give a lil perspective as to where i think the Cobra sits in the (stock) speed hierarchy is all. The Mach1 IMO sits just above the slobra
Yeah well I guess you learn something new each day lol. I thought you were saying that the auto (if there were one ) Cobra would run with the M6 ls1. I am not talking UP the auto ls1 either, for the record. The Mach was the first Mustang that I actually liked and I figure I'd take one over any cobra (other than the obvious two years). I think your hierarchy is correct and thanks for the educations about pre termi cobras .
Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can only speak for myself here, but I meant they "stepped up to the plate" with the GT for once! Lets not start talking about FGts and such now More like 94-98 btw (notice I'm leaving your PI alone? lol).

Last edited by oddwraith; 01-05-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Where did you get that from? Ford didn't follow GMs lineup plan. It still doesn't. The GT usually sold for less in both sticker, and off the lot than the Z28s and SSs did.
Both the Z28 and GT (1999) had a base price of $21k. They were head to head competiton. The more expensive Cobra was directed at the Z28/SS. Coulda swore we wen't over this in a previous discussion.

The Mach1 was closer to what the Z28 and SSs cost. The Termi Cobra was a bit more, but it was also a lot faster. Ford offered an inexpensive sporty car (The GT) a peppier version (Mach1) and the all out beast (Cobra) GM didn't have a selection of the like unless you wanted to go V6.
GM didn't have a selection PERIOD. Production of the F-body ended in 2002.

It's also why Ford sold and still sells more Mustangs than GM does Camaros.

You sure about that?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...aro-sales.html

Last edited by LT/LS Guy; 01-05-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Coudn't have said all that better myself ^^^ Well maybe a lil better lol. Jokin jokin.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Coudn't have said all that better myself ^^^ Well maybe a lil better lol. Jokin jokin.
Gimme a break, it's early.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
Pretty sure there was only a month or two when Mustang outsold Camaro. Not too mention there is no Z28 or vert yet, which will definitely help sales (moreso the vert than the Z28).
Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss1129
I dont think for had anything to compete with a lt1 until 2003.
Do you mean LS1? And yes they did.
Then from 86-92 a 5.0 vs a 5.7 was pretty much dead even.
If you are speaking about GTs MAYBE. The 5.0 Usually had the advantage. Not even talking about the Cobra variations.

Last edited by Ke^in; 01-05-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WSsick
Pretty sure there was only a month or two when Mustang outsold Camaro. Not too mention there is no Z28 or vert yet, which will definitely help sales (moreso the vert than the Z28).
the vert sales will just cannibalize the SS sales. IMO the mustang sales were really strong considering it was pretty much a refresh vs a completely new car with 8 years of pent up demand. It was a good year for both automakers
Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
Both the Z28 and GT (1999) had a base price of $21k.
By price price are you referring to retail price? Because if so, you are wrong. It was about 8k more. HOWEVER since they didn't sell as well, you could get them for ALMOST as cheap as GTs.
They were head to head competiton.
The 98 2v GT that was released in 98 2v GT was Ford's answer to the LT1 camaro that was out right before it. Then Ford put out the 2k Cobra to compete with the LS1. Was it DIRECTLY AS FAST? No. But it was very very close. Then the Mach1 was put out that was as fast. Then the Cobra which decimated it.
GM didn't have a selection PERIOD. Production of the F-body ended in 2002.
I wasn't referring to just the 03/04 Cobra. BTW the 03 Cobra was on the lots in 02 right along with the LS1 Camaro.
You are correct. My bad. First time in 16 years. However, I see those numbers changing by the end of the year ;-)
Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Just further proof that Ford wasn't using the GT to compete with GMs LS1 based fbodies, even the 3v GT was slightly slower than a stock LS1.

I guess in 2011 Ford decided to up it's game. Both the GT and Cobra are faster than tthe current Camaro now. Even the V6 Mustang is faster than the V6 Camaro.

When is the next iteration of the Camaro showing up? Or do they have to wait till they pay the tax payers money back before designing a new one?
Old 01-05-2011, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the vert sales will just cannibalize the SS sales. IMO the mustang sales were really strong considering it was pretty much a refresh vs a completely new car with 8 years of pent up demand. It was a good year for both automakers
It will eat up some, but it will definitely add some sales. Some people only want a vert, and would choose another car with a vert over one that doesn't offer it. Sales will be fine, all across the board.

Both definitely had a great year, considering the economy and the big MPG push.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

By price price are you referring to retail price? Because if so, you are wrong. It was about 8k more. HOWEVER since they didn't sell as well, you could get them for ALMOST as cheap as GTs.

The 98 2v GT that was released in 98 2v GT was Ford's answer to the LT1 camaro that was out right before it. Then Ford put out the 2k Cobra to compete with the LS1. Was it DIRECTLY AS FAST? No. But it was very very close. Then the Mach1 was put out that was as fast. Then the Cobra which decimated it.
I wasn't referring to just the 03/04 Cobra. BTW the 03 Cobra was on the lots in 02 right along with the LS1 Camaro.

You are correct. My bad. First time in 16 years. However, I see those numbers changing by the end of the year ;-)
So Ford puts out a slower car and its almost as fast, but Ford puts out a faster car and it DECIMATES it.

LOL.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Oook! If you are trying to say the base Z28 cost $8,000 more than the Mustang GT you are way off. In 1999 they both had a base price of $21k.

The 98 2v GT that was released in 98 2v GT was Ford's answer to the LT1 camaro that was out right before it. Then Ford put out the 2k Cobra to compete with the LS1. Was it DIRECTLY AS FAST? No. But it was very very close.
There was no regular production Cobra in 2000, only the "R". It was 1999 your thinking of.

Then the Mach1 was put out that was as fast. Then the Cobra which decimated it.
No F-body put into production for 2003.

Again, there was no 2003 Camaro or Firebird. I'm beginning to sound like a tape recorder. lol

Finally you admit it.

Quick Reply: Ran up against another '11 5.0