Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

just smoked a 99 cobra rustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just smoked a 99 cobra rustang

Hey guys i'm new here..(hello)
my girl's been sick lately and she wanted some tim hortons hot chocolate so we take the z28 downtown to get her some. On the way this guy in a 99 cobra comes up bucking (hitting throttle and letting off) beside me. My girl loves to race more than i do lol. Anyways, we are on a 6 lane road in lots of traffic he knows I can't race him. I ffollow through a few lights with him flying in and out of traffic like an idiot at like 75 in a 30. He gets stopped by a light and i pull up beside him and say "hey jackass if you want to race quit acting like a ***** and lets go on a real road." He responds " I don't think that chevy has enough do you know this is a REAL Cobra?" I said i'll take my chances, so he follows me out to a new stretch of highway where no one is. We do 3 races

first race from a 35 roll (his request).. 3 honk from me and he goes on 2 go figure, he gets about a car on me due to the jump and i end up putting about 3 cars on him by 120
second race froma bout 45-50...i give him a carlength and let him honk..again he goes on honk 2, and again i pull him by 2 cars by about 120
third race ( i have a iphone vid of) we line up going about 30 he starts about with his nose at my front wheel so i let him take the hit... same deal i pull ahead about 3 cars instantly...
on our way back to town we hit a light and he wanted to go from a roll because he said he has steep gears. i said ok...light turns green and i spin like crazy with my bald 245's he gets about a car on me and as soon as i hit 2nd i blow by him and put 3 cars on by 80... he tries to do a turn off but i follow him...i ask what he has done to his "real cobra" and he says...full exhaust 4.10's, plenuem (or whatever?) and a tune. My car is a 02 Z28 35th anniversary with exhaust minus headers, dyno tune, 3.42's out of a 6 speed car. My car put down 349rwhp and is a factory freak so i've been told by my buddy's that also own LS1's....anyway i'm trying to figure out how to post this shitty video i have of the last run...thanks for listening and once again hello from a new member!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:28 PM
***Repost Police***

Good kill. Are you on the stock stall?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Good kill.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I love the titles of these threads! "I pimp slap Mustangs" and "Rustang" in this one...

The Cobra owner was too cocky, though. Good Kill. Sooooooo many uninformed people...
Old 02-16-2011, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

Post vid up - wanna see race
Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 PM
12 Second Club

You have 349rwhp just from a catback and dyno tune??
Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

good kill OP.

sounds like he was a full exhaust, plenum spacer, tune car. they have to be tuned for that stuff.

firgure he had 300-320rwhp. he thought he would win i bet.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Excellent kill!

Just curious, how rusty was the Rustang?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol Nice kill. Don't know guess that was yet another guy who believed the Cobra coolaid myths that just a few N/A mods is all it takes to walk a LS1. Them and the "I supercharged my 2 valve so that means that no N/A stock displacement Fbody/GTO/C5 vette can possibly touch me". See that all the time at the saturday evening car shows- ALWAYS by guys that don't have enough track experience to even tell you where the tech booth is located at the nearest track......
Old 02-17-2011, 12:50 AM
***Repost Police***

Well that Cobra would do pretty well against a stock LS1, especially from a dead stop. But seeing as it might trap as high as a stock LS1, running from a roll is obviously not its strong point . Especially with steep gears.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Flying in n out of traffic at 75 in a 30 mph road? You're crazy!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

full bolt on tuned 99 Cobra with 4.10s....a LS1 with catback and tune only put 3 carlengths on by 80? Really? Gonna chalk this one up to driver error. My 99 with 4.10s, catback, shifter, and 255 series firestone tires was running 13.1@105mph. Intake spacer, headers, and tune would make it a driver's race IMO.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by bigboyls1
...i pull up beside him and say "hey jackass if you want to race quit acting like a ***** and lets go on a real road." He responds " I don't think that chevy has enough do you know this is a REAL Cobra?"
People really talk like this in real life?

Good kill, man!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
People really talk like this in real life?

Good kill, man!

HA! That's what I said
Old 02-17-2011, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HOW TO POST VIDEO:
1-Upload it to your Youtube account (if you don't have one, make one)
2-copy & paste the http address in the address bar (DO NOT post the embedded or it will **** with the page display here)

Good kill, but your car isn't a factory freak, it was on a happy dyno. Factory freaks came from when engines were hand assembled and one may have got the heads shaved a little extra for a CR bump, etc.

What did your car trap on the 12.58 run?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

We just call the rust weight reduction.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

God this section keeps getting worse and worse and worse....
Old 02-17-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Good kill. Are you on the stock stall?
yes i am
Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Good kill.
thank you very much
Originally Posted by snake95
I love the titles of these threads! "I pimp slap Mustangs" and "Rustang" in this one...
yes that was pretty gay, to write that i was just joking. I might get flamed for this but i actually like mustangs especially cobra, i'd love to have a 03
The Cobra owner was too cocky, though. Good Kill. Sooooooo many uninformed people...
Originally Posted by projectX
You have 349rwhp just from a catback and dyno tune??
yes, on two separate dynos also..
Originally Posted by Heater
Excellent kill!

Just curious, how rusty was the Rustang?
lol very very rusty haha
Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Well that Cobra would do pretty well against a stock LS1, especially from a dead stop. But seeing as it might trap as high as a stock LS1, running from a roll is obviously not its strong point . Especially with steep gears.
were you there? I raced him from a dig. He was a good driver also.....he lost...don't bench race jesus
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
full bolt on tuned 99 Cobra with 4.10s....a LS1 with catback and tune only put 3 carlengths on by 80? Really? Gonna chalk this one up to driver error. My 99 with 4.10s, catback, shifter, and 255 series firestone tires was running 13.1@105mph. Intake spacer, headers, and tune would make it a driver's race IMO.
how would it be a driver's race? I ran 12.50's on a street tire you ran 13.1? The guy was in his 30s and could drive it...its amazing how people just don't get it..
Originally Posted by WSsick
HOW TO POST VIDEO:
1-Upload it to your Youtube account (if you don't have one, make one)
2-copy & paste the http address in the address bar (DO NOT post the embedded or it will **** with the page display here)

Good kill, but your car isn't a factory freak, it was on a happy dyno. Factory freaks came from when engines were hand assembled and one may have got the heads shaved a little extra for a CR bump, etc.

What did your car trap on the 12.58 run?
you don't know my car how could you say that lol? I've been to two separate tuners and two differnet dynos and put the same numbers down...lol are they both "happy dynos"? I can put 2 cars on my buddy's 01 WS6 with full exhaust, tune, 410's, and dr's..my car IS a factory freak i've drove many many many LS1's
Originally Posted by Mike Morris
God this section keeps getting worse and worse and worse....
umm. ok ..go to another section then? lol

thanks everyone for the good replys (most of you anyway) im uploading a vid right now it will be on today
Old 02-17-2011, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like your friends sucks at driving. Also, it's very possible to run on a couple happy dynos. I guess there can be only one in your mind. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if you car had a stall and you didn't know it ot something like that.

You didn't answer my question, what did it trap in the 12.58 run? That might make me more inclined to believe your numbers, if they are on par.

edit:LOL @ the "good replies" comment...guess you don't take criticism or questioning well.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Now now ppl, its just a story. We all know mustangs don't get rust and run 10s.